COMBATSIM Forum
mikew

Interpretation of SSD files

On 4/22/2018 at 11:24 PM, DrKevDog said:

I don't know if you received the updated

TFXplorer so I decided to look at what I do have that might be of some benefit.

No he didn’t 😞 I didn’t find any time, and I’m sooo sorry about that. My new job has given me so much inspiration (e.g. about connecting Python with a C++ product, something I’m very keen on doing in TFXplorer just for Mike’s joy!) but it’ll also keep me busy for some more weeks.

On 4/23/2018 at 4:00 PM, mikew said:

Awesome work enabling the EF2000 debug info. 🎆

Absolutely agreeing here! Such impressive work by both of you!

C++/Python is a good combination I think.

I recently dug out your dll code from 2013 while playing around with ssd construction. I managed to compile a 64 bit version using VS2015 in order for it to work with 64 bit Python.

It felt like I knew what I was doing for a while. :rofl:

I’m incredibly glad to hear that! 90 % of C++ projects don’t compile after a few years due to missing dependencies and compiler changes. Seems like my decision to rely on nothing but WinAPI and DirectX paid off, at least for this small DLL project :)

(Talking about compiler changes: Lean Viewer now compiles with Clang. Still way to go with TFXplorer, but it’s a good start for platform independence.)

Congratulations on your Clang success. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what the advantage with Clang is though. You may be able to remove things like 'If Win32 then {do something}' from your C++ code, but won't some process further downstream have to deal with this instead?

The advantage with Clang is, many platforms (all but Windows and Windows Phone?) have no Microsoft compiler at all. So if you want to run TFXplorer on Android, Linux, MacOS – you better have it compile fine with Clang/GCC!

Yes, somewhere downstream I have to deal with Linux file* instead of Win32 HANDLE sooner or later. But it’s just an isolated point. Of course I could develop it with standard C FILE*, which compiles everywhere – but then advantages like SIMD and file mapping would vanish.

The next step towards multi-platform is a Vulkan renderer. But I digress – we agreed to do other things first :)

Indeed! I need to get back to looking at the data side of things., but am having trouble finding something to focus on.