COMBATSIM Forum
Wombat1940

Wombat to join Falcon 4.32 BMS

Following a little friendly persuasion from Home Fries I going to join the BMS brigade.

Oh no, I here you all say!!!! Not the Wombatinator in an F16!!! Clear the runway!!! For his landings? No! ...... for his bloody take-offs!!!! We'll stay in the bunker if he ever gets around to landing!!!!

With help from Neph tonight (sorry HF, my Raptr link is down). I bumped into Neph on TS3 who volunteered to help. We dumped my installation of BMS, cleared out the registry entries, re-installed BMS 4.32 and patched up to Update 3. Only took about 3 hours. :blush: Wombat had some strange setup arrangements which took some time to overcome and correct.

It looks as though there is a notional MP BMS flight time on SimHQ TS3 around 03:30:00 GMT Thursdays (after TAW2.0 MP at 01:00:00 time slot). So I hope to join that. And others (HF, Neph, Eugene, ......) have offered help at other times. Thanks boys!

But I going to do some basic SP flight training starting immediately. Take-off, landings, maybe drop a few bombs, etc. However, if its agreeable to all, I'll be ready for MP as of now. I'll keep TS3 Air Combat channel running in the background while I train in SP.

Why am I posting here at CombatSim and not SimHQ and/or BMS forums?

Well ....... I can ask my stupid questions here and nobody will flame. ;) In all seriousness, its always good here and besides I'm not deserting TAW2.0. I'll get the best of both worlds here at Combat Sim. :thumbsup:

Right, lets get started.

First: copy all my downloaded and other important BMS files and folders to my external drive as "backup" Thanks Neph. :spank:

Second: uninstall Falcon 4AF. (Yes HF I think is for the best. Its BMS or nothing now). Besides my installation of AF is corrupted anyway. :rolleyes:

Third: RTFG.

Any further advice would be much appreciated. :help:

LOL...Being in the same age bracket, with much less knowledge about computers, I have been hesitant to ask for help. But you're making it easier.

Unable to install F4AF, I will try to see if my F4 will re-install and plunge into BMS and training in a week or so. _After my taxes are finished.

Thanks for the encouragement. :thumbsup: Hope you guys have fun tonight!

Fittop,

We'd be glad to have you. Just so you know, you don't need to have F4 installed to install BMS. As long as you can point to the falcon4.exe, that is good enough. I just keep the EXE on a network drive and point to it whenever I need to install/reinstall.

For getting started, there are two things that you should not go without. First are Krause's video tutorials. These are absolute gold.

Next is Reddog's Dash-1. This is a supplement to the Falcon 4.0 and BMS manuals, but it puts all of the F-16 systems together with a nice bow.

Finally, if you are lucky enough to have a HOTAS Cougar, load the BMS.key as your controller preference and assign the analog axes like the real thing. Then run the Cougar without any program loaded, and the HOTAS will act just like the real F-16. Learn how to fly this way before you decide to do any profile tweaks.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and a big Thanks! to you and others for the work done to bring out the TAW BMS so far out.

After a couple of weeks of RL work, I hope to be able to download it.

So far the only joysticks I have are the MS, and a Logitech extreme 3D pro with a flaky rudder axis. Have been reading here about the Saiteks and others, with the X52 in mind. But minds (read as price ranges) can be changed.

Yes, I have cast envious eyes at the TrackIR 5.

I will definitely be reading up on the Dash 1 and tutorials meanwhile. The hardware has no advantage in the wrong hands.

Thanks for the advice.

LOL...Being in the same age bracket, with much less knowledge about computers, I have been hesitant to ask for help. But you're making it easier.

Unable to install F4AF, I will try to see if my F4 will re-install and plunge into BMS and training in a week or so. _After my taxes are finished.

Thanks for the encouragement. :thumbsup: Hope you guys have fun tonight!

Thanks Fittop.

I've hesitant up 'til now. But the opportunity is to good to miss. With HF, Neph, Eugene and hopefully Wingnuts very soon, its just should be fine. There'll be lots of shouting ........ well ....shouting at me anyway .... :rofl: , but these boys know there stuff and the invite is always open for others ....... even :metoo:. It would be nice to have another newbie with me (and in truth that's where I'm still at, all in the past 14 years that I've started and re-started learning Falcon 4).

Here's a couple of things I picked up from Neph today, all from just having a friendly chat on TeamSpeak3:

The "2D" cockpit view in BMS, looks just like the 3D view, unlike Falcon 4.0 and Falcon4AF. Your head movement is different, but you don't see that old, familiar 2D Instrument Panel.

Also there is an instrument panel light you can turn on somewhere so as that you can see the instruments better. Bloody hard otherwise, particularly with my old eyes. ;)

Stay tuned. :thumbsup:

PS. Everybody swears by BMS, so you'll need to download BMS 4.32 and install (Need the original Falcon 4.0 disc to achieve that). Then download the 3 "updates" (bloody big patches really) and then install them ....... WITH CARE by following the instructions CAREFULLY. :dancinguy:

Thanks for the warm welcome, and a big Thanks! to you and others for the work done to bring out the TAW BMS so far out.

After a couple of weeks of RL work, I hope to be able to download it.

So far the only joysticks I have are the MS, and a Logitech extreme 3D pro with a flaky rudder axis. Have been reading here about the Saiteks and others, with the X52 in mind. But minds (read as price ranges) can be changed.

Yes, I have cast envious eyes at the TrackIR 5.

I will definitely be reading up on the Dash 1 and tutorials meanwhile. The hardware has no advantage in the wrong hands.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote: "....... the work done to bring out the TAW BMS so far out ......" End Quote.

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing: There is TAW2.0 ......... and ........... Falcon BMS 4.32. Not TAW BMS. But I'm sure you understand that ..... but just in case ..... ;)

I'll lucky enough to have the Cougar and an X52. The Cougar runs with my Desktop PC and the X52 with my portable Netbook. I think I would need either 'stick to fly Falcon BMS (the Cougar being my first choice ..... its modelled on the F16's 'stick), but I don't have pedals and I get by very comfortably. As for TAW2.0, I could make do with my old MS Sidewinder and the keyboard as I do with the Netbook when on vacation..

Fittop,

We'd be glad to have you. Just so you know, you don't need to have F4 installed to install BMS. As long as you can point to the falcon4.exe, that is good enough. I just keep the EXE on a network drive and point to it whenever I need to install/reinstall.

For getting started, there are two things that you should not go without. First are Krause's video tutorials. These are absolute gold.

Next is Reddog's Dash-1. This is a supplement to the Falcon 4.0 and BMS manuals, but it puts all of the F-16 systems together with a nice bow.

Finally, if you are lucky enough to have a HOTAS Cougar, load the BMS.key as your controller preference and assign the analog axes like the real thing. Then run the Cougar without any program loaded, and the HOTAS will act just like the real F-16. Learn how to fly this way before you decide to do any profile tweaks.

Thanks HF. Another informative post. Its is filed for future reference. :thumbsup:

Fittop,

Just an indicator of how well suited the Cougar is for BMS, once BMS came out the prices for the Cougar on eBay went back up to exceed what they cost at retail! That said, the X52 should work just fine, and it's definitely less expensive. Ideal would be the HOTAS Warthog (new hog is higher quality than the Cougar, for almost the same price), but that's still a $400 investment. Personally, if I were new to the sim and on a budget I would go with the X52 pro and the TrackIR (the TrackIR is a game changer in BMS). Bigger budget, I would go with the Warthog and TrackIR. Rudder isn't a big deal in BMS; in the air, the FLCS automatically adjusts rudder in coordinated turns, and you can set the stick to control on the ground in the options settings (though you get a twist rudder with the X52 anyway).

Either way, if you have to tweak your BMS.key file (i.e. reassign buttons or keys), make sure you don't overwrite the original file, but instead save it as something else. There is a bug in the UI configurator that doesn't recognize some of the new BMS callbacks, and will overwrite some of the new commands with older ones. If you do go this route, just post what you changed and post your key file to the forums; I'll post a revised version you can use. Note that assigning joystick axes doesn't affect your keyfile, so you'll be ok by assigning pitch, roll, cursor XY, throtttle, etc.

Thanks for the wealth of info, guys. We'll have to expand the budget and dedication to sims.

Meanwhile will try to uncover more info here as there's a lot to cover. -Like to why my F4, and AF will now not load on either the W7 or XP (as they did ten years ago.) Yep, I'm a little rusty.

And Wombat is right, 20/15 eyes now need bifocals to see a HUD. Thanks, my terminology was bad on the TAW and BMS.

I hope to download the TAW soon also.

But first, there's an airshow this weekend to help motivate me. Might have to wait till tomorrow though, the 1600 foot ceiling might force a cancellation today.

http://bmswiki.com/i...g_in_Falcon_BMS. Your's Truly wrote the article, BTW.

Nice!!! I actually found them by looking at those tutorials you suggested, but this article is a far better way.

In regard to Fliptop (Ooooooops! ...... sorry ........ Flittop ;) ) I think he should start with TAW2.0. If it doesn't install properly we can blame Home Fries ...... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

He can cut his teeth on TAW2.0 with the current equipment he's got. Its a bloody sight easier than BMS and might be a good start to MP. Its not as if we are embarrassed with pilots at our MP sessions.and you really don't have to fully participate in a MP mission. He can hang back and watch (like I often do :rolleyes: ) and just take-off and land. Bloody sight easier to do that in TAW2.0 than BMS (....... just ask Battie) No ...... I don't need reminding about my pancake, hole-in-the-ground landing last week thank you!!! :(

Up to you Flittop ........ there's no pressure.

Maybe we can get him to join us on TeamSpeak3? We can talk with him there.

I hope to be downloading your TAW, as it seems the main game here before BMS, a great piece of ongoing labor of love, and for reasons Wombat stated. I'm really impressed by the videos. (Nice Work!)

The cockpit lighting piece is fantastic. Thanks HF. Someone is pretty handy with a camera.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

You're welcome, Fittop.

TAW is pretty easy to pick up. There are some nuances to the avionics that are best learned by others, but the actual functionality is very easy to pick up. BMS will take some more time to learn how to effectively fight, but that just makes it all more rewarding.

I tell people that when Falcon 4.0 originally came out in 1998, I was deployed with my squadron and had it shipped via Amazon. As soon as I tried it, I knew I had to put it on the shelf, because I only had time to learn one aircraft (mine)! I didn't actually get into Falcon 4 until I went to shore duty, which is about when Superpak 1 came out.

Wombat: My apologies for hi-jacking your thread.

Hope you guys had fun on this weekend's fly-in. Hope to join you guys when I get up to speed.

But drat-darn it guys. (Joking) Went to a Half-Price book store looking for a tax book I needed (Taxes due in 24 hours.) and the dormant flight-Sim spark you guys ignited when I stumbled in here flared and I ended up in the sim-games section.

Can't wait to finish taxes so I can start ground school here. You guys are a dedicated group.

Returned to bookstore to find WOE, WOV , LOMAC on sale for $5 each; along with other titles. Had to pick up LOMAC since I didn't have it. Now to re-learn how to fly. Haven't used a virtual joystick in about ten years.

Newbie question: Will I have to upgrade my internet speed too? With DSL I reach 2.57 MBps download and all of .4 Mbps up, slower than a mail van. Do I have enough speed to play multiplayer?

LOMAC for $5 is a good deal, especially if you ever want to fly Flaming Cliffs 3 in DCS World (it will require LOMAC for activation).

Those speeds are really slow for DSL; who is your carrier and what metric did you use? I'd be interested to see your Speedtest results, which can be linked and posted.

Yes. lol. Ping 11ms, Download 2.57Mbps, upload 0.43 on Speedtest. I am using ATT and DSL. I can go much faster on fiber through them or other carriers. I hadn't needed any more before, so I've been OK with the 3Mbps max download before; but think it would hold back everyone else if I joined a multiplayer at that speed. Yeah, I live in a cave. ;)

I'm not sure if that would hold people back or not. Certainly you wouldn't want to host (which requires upload speed), but as a client those speeds should be OK. I just don't know whether that bandwidth could handle something like Falcon BMS (we usually use 150Mbps upload) and TS3 at the same time. TAW shouldn't be a problem as a client, though.

EDIT: I think Wombat has a similar speed and he can join us in BMS and TS3 just fine, so I would certainly give it a try.

@Neph, any inputs on this?

Well it appears he should have enough upload but it also could be dependent on where you are located to me??But I would say the UL should usually be the same even on a long distance travel..

I would say you are going to be fine but if you would want to try it out let me know when you can be available and we can try getting you connected in BMS and see what happens or we can run some speed tests to my location..

OK try this goto Speedtest.net and try a server in Philadelphia Pennyslvania USA and post the speedtest results..

Thanks guys. I tried a couple of other states further away. One in Michigan and one out West. Same results 2.57 down and .49 upload. I just have to get a faster speed to play. That will give me time to practice a bit.

Hope you guys and your loved ones in the Northeast do OK with this hurricane and storm system.

Oh, I'm in NE Texas. (Sometimes known as Baja Oklahoma.) ;)

Well Basically that should be Plenty fast enough.. Just come online and join us for a flight would be happy to have another aboard..

EDIT: Fittop said: Yes. lol. Ping 11ms, Download 2.57Mbps, upload 0.43 on Speedtest. I am using ATT and DSL.

Wombat said:

My Speedtest.net results are overall worse than yours Fittop. But I have no trouble playing TAW2.0 in MP. You can check my speeds by clicking on my PC "show" TAB, in my signature below.

I've also flown Falcon AF MP (badly of course) a couple of times with no problems. My backwards landing made quite an impression with the boys at the 72nd VFW. :whoa: