Wombat1940

Wombat to join Falcon 4.32 BMS

Wombat has no probs with BMS either*, so I guess that answers that! :thumbsup:

*At least so far as joining; flying is a different story. :ph43r:

Wombat has no probs with BMS either*, so I guess that answers that! :thumbsup:

*At least so far as joining; flying is a different story. :ph43r:

Not sure I tried BMS MP, :huh: but your memory's better than mine HF. :lol:

:rofl: .

But now I don't have many excuses left. Back to learning and installing the HOTAS and learning about profiles too. :shrug:

Yep, somewhere here there are some hints.

For hints, I'll tell you what I tell everybody starting out.

Falcon is about the most complex flight sim out there (since eclipsed by DCS, but not by much). It will take some time to learn the systems, and even more time to become proficient at them. And even more time to understand how you can use your sensors and systems to come up with an air picture (situational awareness). There are no short-cuts.

Here is what I recommend for a set-up:

1. First, load the BMS.key keyset file, which enables the new BMS functionality. It will not be enabled by default, but can be accessed in the Setup tab of the UI.
  2. If you have a TM Cougar, start out by not using a profile. The BMS.key defaults the cougar buttons to their actual F-16 counterparts, so the stick will work like you see it in the manual (and like the real thing). Worry about a custom profile later once you understand the HOTAS functionality.
  3. If you have a programmable HOTAS that is not a Cougar (e.g. X52), try to program the switches as close as possible to the HOTAS as described in the manual, and instead of mapping functions map switches (e.g. map TMS up instead of Target Lock). This is both because the buttons have compound functions, and when we talk about buttons, we'll use actual terminology like "TMS Up", "DMS Down", "CMS Left", "IFF in", etc. The closer to the real thing, the easier it will be to translate your new alphabet soup.
  4. Take the time to program your MFDs in the Data Cartridge (DTC). You can find a default setup online if you don't know where to start, but if you have ever used Falcon or AF, you should have a clue as to how you like things set up.
  5. Finally (and this applies to all sims that use a mouse for a clickable cockpit), get yourself a left-handed or ambidextrous trackball and put it next to or behind your throttle. This will allow you to manipulate cockpit switches without ever taking your hands of the stick.

And for training:

1. Check out Krause's training missions on Youtube. They're worth their weight in gold, and also incorporate some of the new BMS functionality that isn't covered in the original Training Missions.
  2. Do the training missions in the original Falcon 4.0 manual (or the allied force manual if you have that; they're identical). They're a static mission/scenario with line-by line instructions in the manual; it isn't a strictly interactive misssion (though BMS does have an interactive script feature that can be enabled prior to commit).
  3. Don't just do the missions once and be done with them; repeat the missions until the systems and buttonology becomes second nature. This is where not being interactive is nice, as you don't have to wait for your instructor to do what you know needs to be done after the fifth time.
  4. I recommend 1-2 lessons per day, for 1-2 hours. This should be sufficient for building your muscle memory and gaining familiarity.
  5. Learn Air to Air before you learn Air to Ground. Air to Air is more consistent and also more automated, yet the buttonology you learn will translate to Air to Ground. You will start to notice many consistent themes with the HOTAS buttons (e.g. TMS Up is usually an "activate" or "commit", where as TMS Down is usually "reset" or "decommit").
  6. Learn to use the Freeze key (Shift P), as opposed to Pause. Freeze will stop time, but will allow you to manipulate your avionics as if in real time. This is great for learning task-intensive systems like Maverick, or learning the nuances of a system without worrying about losing SA.

Finally, there's the campaign and/or TEs.

1. Set the ACMI max size to something larger than the 50Mb the program defaults to. I use 500Mb myself.
  2. Record your flights with the ACMI and review them in TacView. The default ACMI interface is fine, but TacView gives you a lot more telemetric information along with things such as radar locks, SAM/AAA envelopes, etc. You can also shrink the files into ACMI format (from the bloated Falcon VHS format), which will allow you to keep a library of your flights. Keep the VHS if you want to view them in the Falcon ACMI UI, but 250Mb files start to add up. BTW, don't worry if it takes a long time to get to the debrief screen after you recorded a mission; it takes quite a while to compile the VHS file.
  3. Starting out, set yourself to invulnerable with unlimited chaff and flares. Don't go unlimited fuel; it will teach you bad habits. Chances are that you will quickly lose situational awareness and get bounced by bad guys; if you fly vulnerable you won't know what hit you and won't be able to learn. At least if you're invulnerable you will know when you have been "killed" and you can figure out what you should do next time (i.e. don't develop "Rambo" bad habits).
  4. Start out with labels on in your difficulty settings, but keep them suppressed (there is a key toggle that allows you to see the labels if they are enabled in the difficulty settings). Use this to develop your SA. You will see your sensors (radar, RWR) and hear radio calls. Use these to develop a picture in your head of what you think is going on. Freeze the game and toggle on the labels to see if you were right. If you weren't right, determine what you missed and how you can fix it in the future. Then turn labels off again.
  5. Turn off Invulnerability and unlimited chaff/flares at earliest convenience. Turn off labels when you get more comfortable, though don't hesitate to turn them back on if you're trying a new type of mission (esp. CAS or BAI, in which it can be really difficult to make out your targets).

Don't expect to be Chuck Yeager overnight. Enjoy the journey, and relish the small, incremental victories. Have fun, and fly with us online; we can help you with perspective as well as buttonology.

Thanks for the encouragement! Will keep your post handy. Got the X52 pro as you recommended.

Never met Chuck Yeager, just follow his career. Did meet Gen. Fouchs(sp?) who flew with the Wright brothers.- Guest speaker at my UPT dining-in. (That'll give you an idea of, and show my age.)

Stay safe. The hurricane seems to have affected your area. Kudos to the Coast Guard and first responders everywhere.

Started with Tweets T-37 and T Birds. Mostly B-52 in service. A bit of civilian types from Pipers to B 757/767. Started with pulley-driven joysticks and ended with FMCs , eyebrow panel and fly-by wire yokes. Enjoyed it all. Oh yeah, 30 minutes in an S2F! So I know the difference between an Air Force pilot and a Navy aviator. ;)

nice variety! You should have no trouble with the Falcon systems. Hell; you're probably the guy to lead the BAI hops.

Moi?! Heck, didn't you notice I know the difference between those gold wings and my silver ones?

Besides, by the time I'm ready those airplanes will also be in a museum. ;)

Be sure to count the number of anchors on my wings as well; if a backseater can do this, than so can a front-seater!

Oooops! :icon_bow: My apologies. Then you're one of my heroes.

It had been a long time since I had paid attention to detail. This time I am embarrassed. :sofa1:

Started with Tweets T-37 and T Birds. Mostly B-52 in service. A bit of civilian types from Pipers to B 757/767. Started with pulley-driven joysticks and ended with FMCs , eyebrow panel and fly-by wire yokes. Enjoyed it all. Oh yeah, 30 minutes in an S2F! So I know the difference between an Air Force pilot and a Navy aviator. ;)

:superscare::icon_bow:. Wombat, reporting for duty Sir.! :icon_salute3:

In all seriousness mate: well done.

Well, I'm back from the 2000km m'bike ride and been to the Moto GP, so should have some time for BMS training and TAW2.0 MP.

Thanks for the great post HF: http://community.com...20#entry5147528 here together with others here and elsewhere. I have the cougar. so my training will a little different to Flittop, but the outcomes will be the same (eg. taxiing, take-off, landing, etc). I'll let you know how I go at each SP stage and maybe we can compare notes. Following HF's advice I'll be undertaking the AF training missions within the BMS simulation.

Oooops! :icon_bow: My apologies. Then you're one of my heroes.

No big; I didn't do anything worthy of note. Let's call it a mutual admiration society and get it over with. :icon_bow:

Thanks. Have run across a few of you guys, you are all special.

Before anyone gets curious or upset about the "aviator" comment, let me clarify.

A Navy friend explained it to me. He said the difference between the AF pilot and Navy aviator was that the aviator had "formal" flight training. Yes, at the time, the AF was not teaching BFM to all its pilots.

Welcome back Wombat! Sounds like a great trip. I couldn't have done it.

Appreciate all the good advice I'm getting here! Even if RL is 'interfering,' I am learning.

Any reports on Windows 8 and BMS? Being an XP user I'm assuming Win7 is no problems. Maybe I should check for posts at SimHQ .....

I never made it that far into Windows 8 before reinstalling Windows 7. From what I understand, there are no BMS issues, but TAW is a no-go with the inability to remove the Metro UI in Windows 8.

BTW, Win7 has no probs with BMS. In fact, BMS was optimized for Win7.

That's "Good to Know' info!

Just returned from the store where they are offering Win7 alongside Win8. Having just gotten W7 last year, (laptop) I'm not ready for an OS where I even have the option to put greasy prints on the screen and the accompanying electronic baggage. I'm still using XP in the even smaller 15" laptop. Wonder how much longer W7 will be supported?

XP is supported through 2014, and I believe 7 is supported through 2021 or so. You won't lose support for Win7 until Win11 is out.

That's "Good to Know' info!

Just returned from the store where they are offering Win7 alongside Win8.

What price were they offering Win7 at? I'm mindful of the $40 Win7/XP to Win8 offer. Needless to say I'm looking at a cheap XP to Win7 upgrade.

I'm going to follow HF's advice and commence re-training for Falcon 4 using his suggestions below. As usual I will have my usual heap of questions :P but I thought it better to follow each step and work my way through each step. Here goes, and hopefully HF will not mind in keeping me on the straight and narrow.

HF's Training Package.

First, load the BMS.key keyset file, which enables the new BMS functionality. It will not be enabled by default, but can be accessed in the Setup tab of the UI.

Completed successfully.

If you have a TM Cougar, start out by not using a profile.

The BMS.key defaults the cougar buttons to their actual F-16 counterparts, so the stick will work like you see it in the manual (and like the real thing). Worry about a custom profile later once you understand the HOTAS functionality.

So what do you set as the Foxy profile?

Or,

how do you remove any profile from the Cougar and leave it "blank"?

EDIT: OK. Fixed. Set the Foxy Mode Selector to "Windows" (not ""Program"). Thanks Neph. :thumbsup:

And for training:

Check out Krause's training missions on Youtube. They're worth their weight in gold, and also incorporate some of the new BMS functionality that isn't covered in the original Training Missions.

Checking these now.

Do the training missions in the original Falcon 4.0 manual (or the allied force manual if you have that; they're identical). They're a static mission/scenario with line-by line instructions in the manual; it isn't a strictly interactive misssion (though BMS does have an interactive script feature that can be enabled prior to commit).

With Falcon4AF each training mission is pre-programmed before you enter the 'pit.

Example: Mission 10 "Instrument Landing". Everything is set up for you.

If you try the same "mission" in BMS, it not set up for you.

This must become more involved in setting up later missions with BMS as the flight model.

What are you suggesting I do?

EDIT: OK ...... fixed this. Training missions are in the TE section of BMS. :blush: Thanks Neph.

That's it for the moment. ;) Thanks. :thumbsup:

Trying to be concise, I overdid it. I was looking at computer towers and noticed some came with Win.7 and some with Win. 8. Did not price OS by themselves. My question should have been: " I wonder how long will W 7 will be available as OEM (Original Equipment) offering at places like Dell, etc." I think that at a certain date, you could no longer get a new machine equipped with XP because MS forbade manufacturers to install it unless you were a big customer.

The $40 upgrade sounds great to me, but think I will keep the XP laptop on that system, as I have other applications that would not work on W7. - I think; you guys have proved me wrong before already.

Wombat: I had a big CTD last night trying to set up TIR and Saitek X52pro (my fault), so I'll be way behind you. But already experienced the (not) great Saitek support. Could not get the manual downloaded. Recovering this morning and will find where the keyset is.

Will also attempt to set up the TIR and flt. controllers on both laptops, so in case one goes down I have back-up. They wouldn't both go .....Oh heck, it is the same operator, isn't it? :o

Trying to be concise, I overdid it. I was looking at computer towers and noticed some came with Win.7 and some with Win. 8. Did not price OS by themselves. My question should have been: " I wonder how long will W 7 will be available as OEM (Original Equipment) offering at places like Dell, etc." I think that at a certain date, you could no longer get a new machine equipped with XP because MS forbade manufacturers to install it unless you were a big customer.

The $40 upgrade sounds great to me, but think I will keep the XP laptop on that system, as I have other applications that would not work on W7. - I think; you guys have proved me wrong before already.

Wombat: I had a big CTD last night trying to set up TIR and Saitek X52pro (my fault), so I'll be way behind you. But already experienced the (not) great Saitek support. Could not get the manual downloaded. Recovering this morning and will find where the keyset is.

Will also attempt to set up the TIR and flt. controllers on both laptops, so in case one goes down I have back-up. They wouldn't both go .....Oh heck, it is the same operator, isn't it? :o

You mean Operator Flittop ...... :spank::lol:

In regard to TIR and the X52. I'd get TIR working first in conjunction with the analogue axis of the X52 or even just the keyboard. By the way, I use <Home> to center my TIR and <End> to lock it.