COMBATSIM Forum
Wombat1940

Wombat to join Falcon 4.32 BMS

Trying to be concise, I overdid it. I was looking at computer towers and noticed some came with Win.7 and some with Win. 8. Did not price OS by themselves. My question should have been: " I wonder how long will W 7 will be available as OEM (Original Equipment) offering at places like Dell, etc."

I think because Win8 is such a radical departure with no first-party option for legacy implementation (i.e. Start Menu), you'll see a lot of OEM machines still sell with Win7, and actually use that as a selling point. I jumped on the $40 Win8 bandwagon and went back to Win7 within 12 hours.

@Wombat, if you value TAW, stick with Win7 for now.

Thanks. Have run across a few of you guys, you are all special.

Before anyone gets curious or upset about the "aviator" comment, let me clarify.

A Navy friend explained it to me. He said the difference between the AF pilot and Navy aviator was that the aviator had "formal" flight training. Yes, at the time, the AF was not teaching BFM to all its pilots.

Most of the training is joint now. I had some AF guys in my primary class, and I did my advanced training at Randolph with the 562nd FTS. I would say the most obvious difference between Navy and AF is that we Navy guys are crazy enough to launch from and trap on a boat! Even that line was blurred, as when the USN and USAF had joint Prowler expeditionary squadrons, the AF guys had to CQ as well.

As a Navy guy, our definitions are that pilots drive small boats (like tugs), where as aviators fly aircraft.

CQ qualify...Wow! That'd be exciting! My only experience with the meatball was at one of the western bases. Of course, it wasn't pitching and rolling. My buddy's comment was made when he won the second 2 out of three mock fight. I had to buy the beer.

I'm going to try to re-install the joystick, redo TAW and BMS installation if needed and do it right following Wombat's and your instructions. Oh, to have a good computer education or at least, understanding... <_<

@Wombat, if you value TAW, stick with Win7 for now.

Thanks. I haven't actually moved to Win7 yet. You know me: slow and ponderous ...... :P But whatever, I'll stay away from Win8. :thumbsup:

As a Navy guy, our definitions are that pilots drive small boats (like tugs), where as aviators fly aircraft.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Love it! I think the aviators had the best of both worlds: a fighter aircraft to play with and girl in every port to to practice on. :rolleyes:

I'm going to try to re-install the joystick, redo TAW and BMS installation if needed and do it right following Wombat's and your instructions. Oh, to have a good computer education or at least, understanding... <_<

If you are happy to "step back", I'd cut your teeth with the X52 and the TIR using TAW2.0. But I thought you were keen to jump straight to BMS. There's so much help here with TAW2.0, SP and MP. Plus I have TAW2.0 X52 profiles and TIR works well in TAW2.0. Not saying it won't all work with BMS, but just taking the keyboard mapping alone: its so much simpler with TAW2.0.

By the way I assume you've got the "SST Programming Software Manual" for the X52? Its in my dropbox if you need it. My X52 TAW2.0 .pro profile is there as well. Not sure what its like, its ages since I've used my X52, but it might be a useful starting point for you.

I've been looking at the cockpit layout as indicated in the BMS dash1 manual.

readability-2.jpg

The trouble is, the layouts are hard to see. Is there any better view descriptors of the cockpit, particularly for printing off hard copies of the same? Thanks

I dunno, Wombat. That's about as good as it gets. You can always zoom into the page if you want to get higher resolution, and printing out the page will give you a higher resolution than you can see on the screen.

Do you really need that high detail of a reference on a regular basis? Are you planning to do ramp starts? As a general rule, once you've started the plane the most important/most used stuff is front and center, and gets less important/less used the further back and to the side you go. There's really nothing on that panel you need to flip under normal circumstances, with possible exception of the AVTR switch if you want to record your flight, and the light switches for FENCE check.

Thanks Wombat. Succeeded in finally getting manuals. Know the profiles are here somewhere but hadn't looked in TAW thread yet. Spent all afternoon rebooting and defragging bigger laptop due to my original screw-up (and repeating my mistakes) and being too impatient with computer logic. I have to be reasonable and do it it's way. Oh, for not learning PC logic earlier...

Will probably take your advice and get used to TAW first. Had been using TIR on MS FSX (yeah, baby steps.) Problems started when opening game and plugging in HOTAS at same time. Maybe too much for computer. Now only have half of throttle and all of joystick lighting up so might have burned out some potentiometer on throttle. Oh, well. Will know more when I can get a game, hotas and TiR all running at same time and as importantly, being able to exit it all properly without pc losing it's cool.

I dunno, Wombat. That's about as good as it gets. You can always zoom into the page if you want to get higher resolution, and printing out the page will give you a higher resolution than you can see on the screen.

Do you really need that high detail of a reference on a regular basis? Are you planning to do ramp starts? As a general rule, once you've started the plane the most important/most used stuff is front and center, and gets less important/less used the further back and to the side you go. There's really nothing on that panel you need to flip under normal circumstances, with possible exception of the AVTR switch if you want to record your flight, and the light switches for FENCE check.

It was actually looking for the knob to turn on the cockpit lights that got me looking at those (poor) 'pit diagrams. I thought it was on the left hand side but, thanks to Neph, I found it on the right hand side by zooming in to identify it.

The other thing: I'm not sure how useful the training missions are when run within BMS. As a check I started training mission 1 "Basic Handling" using the AF Manual and running under BMS. The manual says " .... Press <H> to to change the scales of the HUD ..... ". But, as you would know, in BMS <H> its mapped for a different function. I think to change the HUD scales in BMS, its <SFT>+<CTL>+<ALT>+<H>. There are more obvious ones (eg. there is no <2> "View 2D cockpit") and I understand that, but its one thing to train in BMS using the AF missions, its another having to review key mapping changes at the same time.

Sorry, I sound as though I'm winging again. :rolleyes: But its more: what is the best way to use the AF training missions? Within the AF sim or within the BMS sim? (Its an option available to most new Falcon pilots as Falcon4AF is an "almost must have" to install BMS.) At the moment I thinking its within the AF sim.

I hope I'm being objective and constructive. Remember I'm trying to view it from a novice Falcon pilot's point of view; not an experienced AF pilot moving to BMS. I'm fortunate. I can take-off, I can land, I can do an instrument landing with the ceiling down to 50ft (all in AF of course). But what must it be like for a total newbie trying to come to turns with the AF training missions in BMS using the AF manual totally from scratch.

well I would say just use BMS and ONLY BMS use the BMS training missions and stop using the AF guides..the scripts are not perfect in BMS but they will give you the proper procedure unlike what you just saw with the H Key.. ONLY MORE CONFUSING that way IMHO..

Think that somewhere in BMS manuals I found a checklist and keyboard layout for it. But bet you already have that. HOTAS assignments? I haven't made it to profiles yet.

Piggybacking on what Neph said, focus on the functionality and not the key commands. The takeaway shouldn't be "press H to change HUD scale" but "the HUD is scalable" and figure out the switch, likely by cross-referencing with the dash-1.

Besides, this is why you do the training missions more than once. The first time you will likely encounter the teething issues, but you should be able to find the switch the second time around (think switch, not key command; if it's important it will likely have a HOTAS function anyway). The familiarization is just that; you need to put your focus on the systems employment to learn the HOTAS functions, the mechanics of bugging targets, hard vs. soft locks, RWS vs TWS, etc.

Finally, ask the questions while flying online. as long as you know the HOTAS switchology (i.e. TMS,DMS,CMS, et al) we can speak a common language and provide advice.

Thanks Neph, Flittop and HF for the input. I think HF is right: I'm focusing too much on the key commands. However I still think the training missions provided in BMS are not patch on those in AF. I can't even get mission 8 (in BMS) to take-off. Further when you look at the mission package for "Low Speed Over Top" (mission 8 in AF and mission 9 and 54 in BMS), the BMS mission is a joke. I get one line of text in BMS, something about "..... push down ....get the feeling for speed ....." :huh: While in AF I get 5 pages of material which includes the theory about low speed maneuverability, or more correctly the lack of it.

However to turn all this into a positive.

Its not too hard to use the AF training manual guide in the BMS sim for this mission There are only four relevant key commands in the AF mission: <F>, <ESC>, < > >,

<SHF> + <-> and <O>. Providing I transfer initial stipulated conditions for the AF mission (300knots at an altitude of 20000 MSL. throttle at mid-range and configuration clean), to the BMS mission, I can fly the AF mission in BMS. This assumes I make the necessary (if any) key command changes.

Sorry, I'm probably making a bigger thing of this than is necessary. However, IMHO, the 204 pages in the AF manual, those associated with the 30 AF training missions, are too good to ignore.

Of course, I'm lucky. When I first bought AF (too many years ago to remember now) I made a paper copy of the manual. All 734 pages!

Its there for reference. Right in my lap when flying each training missions. My next best thing was the <Pause> button...... but enough said about that. :sofa1:

Its been my constant nemesis that I can't use the same in TAW multi-play ....... :rofl:

Edits in Red

I've just found this: http://www.mediafire...8xk4ct6vifuyig3 over at SimHQ. Thanks Ice. :thumbsup: It punches out keyboard layouts. very nice ......

HF? I'm using the BMS.key (as you specified) but I do see there is a keystrokes.key file in the same folder. I'm assuming this is not of any value. Thanks.

I've just found this: http://www.mediafire...8xk4ct6vifuyig3 over at SimHQ. Thanks Ice. :thumbsup: It punches out keyboard layouts. very nice ......

eg.

BMSKeyfile.jpg

This is the first page of two pages.

I have another one. Its a hard copy of the F4-BMS Keyboard Layout - keystrokes-bms4.key. God know where I got it from! :rolleyes: But it has a really nice "Abridged" version as well. Just shows the principal key commands. Really good for my simple mind. :lol: However they are probably different to BMS4.32 BMS.key file so I will ignore ....... :(

Its not too hard to use the AF training manual guide in the BMS sim for this mission There are only four relevant key commands in the AF mission: <F>, <ESC>, < > >,

<SHF> + <-> and <O>. Providing I transfer initial stipulated conditions for the AF mission (300knots at an altitude of 20000 MSL. throttle at mid-range and configuration clean), to the BMS mission, I can fly the AF mission in BMS. This assumes I make the necessary (if any) key command changes.

The changes from AF to BMS for AF training mission 8 are:

<F> unchanged

<ESC> unchanged

< > > change to <SHF> + <ALT> + <Page Up>

<SHF> + <-> change to <ALT> + <->

<O> unchanged

Now to fly AF mission 8 in BMS (which is mission 9 and 54) using the AF training manual with the above changes.

Edits in Red

The changes from AF to BMS for AF training mission 8 are:

<F> unchanged

<ESC> unchanged

< > > change to <SHF> + <ALT> + <Page Up>

<SHF> + <-> change to <ALT> + <->

<O> unchanged

Now to fly AF mission 8 in BMS (which is mission 9 and 54) using the AF training manual with the above changes.

Edits in Red

It works fine. :thumbsup:

In summary:

Incorporating the AF Training Manual with BMS4.32 for "Low Speed Over the Top Maneuver" (BMS4.32 Mission 9) and "Recovering from a Deep Stall" (BMS4.32 Mission 54)

Read the AF Manual: Mission 8 (pages 49 to 54) with the following changes to the text:

(1) < > > change to <SHF> + <ALT> + <Page Up> (page 53)

and

(2) <SHF> + <-> change to <ALT> + <-> (page 53)

Note: ACMI (AF terminology) can be read as AVTR (BMS Terminology)

Use BMS4.32 Mission 9 to fly both training missions.

That's it.

Where possible I'm going to revise as much of the AF Manual (training section) in a similar manner to the example above.

What I hope to finish with is a "BMS Training Manual" which will be as much as possible of the AF Manual (training section), with lots of scribbles in the margin. :P

HF's training package (cont)

Take the time to program your MFDs in the Data Cartridge (DTC). You can find a default setup online if you don't know where to start, but if you have ever used Falcon or AF, you should have a clue as to how you like things set up.

I'm on to this as the next step.

I've started by looking at the DTC Tutorial put together by Krause. When I try to d/l his default setup, I got the text rather than the option to d/l. Krause mentions this and what he says is reproduced here:

" ....... Save the above to C:\Falcon BMS 4.32\User\Config

Rename it to your CallSign.ini

If you click the link and it doesn't ask you to download, but instead just displays a bunch of text, just do file, save as on Internet Explorer or firefox, save page as in Firefox. ......."

What does he mean by the bit I've made bold? :huh:

Thanks

Wombat once I get my system configured I'll give ya a run for your money! Book marked this for my learning curve....

Chat soon

Wingy

Wombat once I get my system configured I'll give ya a run for your money! Book marked this for my learning curve....

Chat soon

Wingy

:thumbsup: I've got BMS Training Missions 9 and 54 covered. Lets hope I can add the other 53 TM's. :lol:

{An aside: Bugger!!!! :grrr: My car battery's flat again!!! The immobilizer has been removed, so it must be the battery. :( ]

I digress. Just had a second look at the BMS4.32 Dash 1 Manual. Impressive! :woohoo: I've not checked it in detail before, but once you can taxi, take off, land, etc, it must be very useful with the finer details of flight, which includes their apparent ramp start instructions.

In regard to a Ramp Start.

I've got 4 separate sets of instructions for ramp starting the F16.

(1) AF's Mission 2: "Takeoff - Ramp Start" (page 19 of the AF manual)

(2) An alternative AF Ramp Start Procedure. I'm not sure where I got it from, but (available through Open Falcon 4.7) Its far easier to follow than option (1) above.

(3) BMS Dash1 Manual "Ramp Start in 3 Sweeps" (page 138 of the BMS 4.32 Dash 1 Manual).

(4) BMS 4.32's Training Mission 00 "Ramp Start" (available through the TE section of sims main menu).

I think I can dismiss (1) and (2) as I understand the AF cockpit layout is different to the BMS cockpit layout and I will be flying in the BMS 'pit.

I like option (3). It looks like the closest to the real thing.

But option (4) seems to be one of the better BMS training missions: its very well scripted.

Questions:

Does option (4) implement what is given descriptively in option (3)?

Which option do others recommend? (Of course, it might not be one of the above 4).

Edit: I've just found this in the BMS4.32 Folder: "AF to FBMS Guide 1.31" which also mentions ramp starts. It also gave me the reference for option (2) above. I can also check out the reference to the 72nd VFW's ramp start instructions mentioned in the AF to FBMS guide if we think its worth it.. I'm a member there.

Thanks.

Edits in red

Further when you look at the mission package for "Low Speed Over Top" (mission 8 in AF and mission 9 and 54 in BMS), the BMS mission is a joke. I get one line of text in BMS, something about "..... push down ....get the feeling for speed ....." :huh: While in AF I get 5 pages of material which includes the theory about low speed maneuverability, or more correctly the lack of it.

However, IMHO, the 204 pages in the AF manual, those associated with the 30 AF training missions, are too good to ignore.

Of course, I'm lucky. When I first bought AF (too many years ago to remember now) I made a paper copy of the manual. All 734 pages!

Its there for reference. Right in my lap when flying each training missions. My next best thing was the <Pause> button...... but enough said about that. :sofa1:

I agree with you for the most part. I never said to ignore the original manual (in fact, there's a reason a softcopy manual is included with BMS), but to focus on the concepts and mechanics rather than the 15 year old key commands. The theory is excellent, and gives you a primer for what you should try to get out of each lesson. The BMS missions shouldn't be launched in a vacuum.

The other thing (since you can already fly): if you're comfortable, skip to the avionics missions (nav/AA). You can always go back and brush up on the aerodynamics missions to get the nuances of viper flight.

Lastly, it's not the Pause button, but the Freeze button. Freeze stops time, but allows you to use your avionics. Pause just stops time completely.

just do file, save as on Internet Explorer or firefox, save page as in Firefox. ......."

What does he mean by the bit I've made bold? :huh:

right click on the download link, and select the "Save Link as" or "Save As" option (depending on your browser).

In regard to a Ramp Start.

Personally, I would skip this altogether until you get solid with everything else. The ramp start does a very nasty job on one's short term memory, and being able to do it is a perishable skill. Besides, when we fly online we normally start at taxiway or runway since we have schedules and limited free time.

Chat soon

Wingy

People aren't interested in TAW anymore, but I would be willing to fly BMS on a weekly basis to help get you guys up to speed. We normally start Wednesdays at 10:30-11:00pm EST, so starting at 9pm (the original TAW time) or a bit earlier would give us some time to run drills and get warmed up prior to the main campaign event.