COMBATSIM Forum
Wombat1940

Wombat to join Falcon 4.32 BMS

Personally, I would skip this altogether until you get solid with everything else. The ramp start does a very nasty job on one's short term memory, and being able to do it is a perishable skill. Besides, when we fly online we normally start at taxiway or runway since we have schedules and limited free time.

Yes I'm fully aware of that and it makes complete sense. Its just that I've done ramp starts with AF and found it very useful to known where everything was. Bit like in BMS, you need to know where the cockpit lights are so I can see to do-up my safety belt. :rofl: Unless your think otherwise I'll plug for option (4): the interactive training mission number 00.

The problem with the ramp start interactive missions is that if your timing is off, you won't be able to go further in the mission. The script is rudimentary and doesn't have much in the way of error checking.

If you've done it in AF, you should be ok with BMS. Start with the interactive mission to see the order in which things are done (which is more intuitive than the checklist), and go from there. It is nice to get an idea of where everything is, but I know I wouldn't be able to do a cold start right now if you asked me. That said, I could still probably find a system if you asked me.

EDIT: I haven't actually done the 3-sweep ramp start, but it looks logical and it might be a viable alternative to the interactive mission. I might just give that a go for my own benefit.

People aren't interested in TAW anymore,

Now you're taking rubbish!!! :rolleyes: Yes we have other interests and yes our numbers are small and unfortunately getting smaller. But that's no reason to "through in the towel". We both know, in fact we all know, the best way to Falcon is through TAW2.0. And that's only one of many reasons why the regular time slot for TAW2.0 MP should be maintain. However there seems be a feeling lately that TAW2.0 MP is just a prelude to to Falcon MP which I understand commences later the same evening. Well this pilot sees TAW2.0 MP as a stand alone session. Yes I want to become a proficient Viper pilot, but not at the expense of TAW2.0. I'm not being personal, in fact I hope I'm defending and supporting you in all great work you have done. You've made TAW what it is today and we're all so grateful for that. I'll be around for MP at its regular time and in future I won't rush into the 'pit, I'll be doing my F22 MP checklist and you'll all have to wait 'til I've finished. :lol: Lets hear it for TAW2.0 MP!!!!! :icon_rock: :icon_rock: :icon_rock: :icon_rock:

but I would be willing to fly BMS on a weekly basis to help get you guys up to speed. We normally start Wednesdays at 10:30-11:00pm EST, so starting at 9pm (the original TAW time) or a bit earlier would give us some time to run drills and get warmed up prior to the main campaign event.

You have my answer above regarding this. Thank you, but no! Use the original TAW time indeed! What's the world coming to! :spank:

EDIT: I haven't actually done the 3-sweep ramp start, but it looks logical and it might be a viable alternative to the interactive mission. I might just give that a go for my own benefit.

In that case so will I. :thumbsup: ........ but only after I've run through my start up procedure for TAW2.0 MP .............. :icon_rock:;)

Now you're taking rubbish!!! :rolleyes: Yes we have other interests and yes our numbers are small and unfortunately getting smaller. But that's no reason to "through in the towel". We both know, in fact we all know, the best way to Falcon is through TAW2.0. And that's only one of many reasons why the regular time slot for TAW2.0 MP should be maintain. However there seems be a feeling lately that TAW2.0 MP is just a prelude to to Falcon MP which I understand commences later the same evening. Well this pilot sees TAW2.0 MP as a stand alone session. Yes I want to become a proficient Viper pilot, but not at the expense of TAW2.0. I'm not being personal, in fact I hope I'm defending and supporting you in all great work you have done. You've made TAW what it is today and we're all so grateful for that. I'll be around for MP at its regular time and in future I won't rush into the 'pit, I'll be doing my F22 MP checklist and you'll all have to wait 'til I've finished. :lol: Lets hear it for TAW2.0 MP!!!!! :icon_rock: :icon_rock: :icon_rock: :icon_rock:

The only real post in response to my stepping down on the TAW fly in was a single vote in putting it on hiaitus. I said that if people want it they should speak up and commit to it. Crickets.

I know why you like TAW, and I enjoy multiplayer as well, but I'm not going to push against the tide anymore. If you can get folks to join, more power to you.

You want it, you got it, you own it. :icon_salute3:

The only real post in response to my stepping down on the TAW fly in was a single vote in putting it on hiaitus. I said that if people want it they should speak up and commit to it. Crickets.

I know why you like TAW, and I enjoy multiplayer as well, but I'm not going to push against the tide anymore. If you can get folks to join, more power to you.

You want it, you got it, you own it. :icon_salute3:

Fully agree with with almost everything you say. You can't keep pushing s**t up hill. However "I do still want it, I've still got it, but you still owned it." :thumbsup:

Damn!! :grrr: I can't get the engine to spool up (over the 20% achieved by the JFS) in a ramp start. Doesn't matter which training mission I use it just stays at 20% and them dies as the JFS closes down. Might have to go back to AF to see how I did it there. Its that idle detent lock which I can't activate or alternatively just ignore. Suggestions please. Thanks.

Edit: OK, OK ...... stand easy. I've got it. Did it with the BMS mission 00 "Ramp Start" and by clicking the idle detent level on the throttle. Its just bloody hard to see and to locate what to click, but it worked. I'll try the <Alt> + <i> key mapping next time. See if that works. It used to the AF training mission. Thanks anyway. :icon_salute3:

Sounds like an off setting on a fuel shut off valve. But I don't know anything about your jet.

Reading above, seems like I missed a good opportunity on Wed to learn, but don't know enough yet to ask proper questions.

I will be learning TAW though, as advised. So hang in there, Wombat. Hear you're a good teacher. :thumbsup:

Fully agree with with almost everything you say. You can't keep pushing s**t up hill. However "I do still want it, I've still got it, but you still owned it." :thumbsup:

Why does someone have to OWN the fly-in...?? I always thought it was a free form "come if you may" event. HF, everyone knows you are the "president" of the club, but if you need a break and want to do other things that's fine. There will be those of us that pop in occassionally and hopefully those that show will have enough knowledge under our belts to get an MP session going.

Sorry guys. Just slipping back into my old life.

In military lingo, to "own" something is to assume responsibility for it. Right now, I have absolutely no desire to maintain any responsibility for a weekly event with minimal interest or committment. Hence, I was passing the responsibility for the event to Wombat.

The fly-in is free form, but with the reduced attendance in weeks past, along with the requests to have the missions pre-determined so that briefings can be reviewed ahead of time, I was asking for courtesy commitment posts along with mission requests so that could be accomodated.

This is no longer an event where we have our regulars to make a flight of 4, then if others show up we do a larger mission. Due to attendance, we can't really have it both ways anymore.

Damn!! :grrr: I can't get the engine to spool up (over the 20% achieved by the JFS) in a ramp start. Doesn't matter which training mission I use it just stays at 20% and them dies as the JFS closes down. Might have to go back to AF to see how I did it there. Its that idle detent lock which I can't activate or alternatively just ignore. Suggestions please. Thanks.

Edit: OK, OK ...... stand easy. I've got it. Did it with the BMS mission 00 "Ramp Start" and by clicking the idle detent level on the throttle. Its just bloody hard to see and to locate what to click, but it worked. I'll try the <Alt> + <i> key mapping next time. See if that works. It used to the AF training mission. Thanks anyway. :icon_salute3:

I always thought it was easier to find in BMS, and I could never find it in AF. :doh2:

Sounds like an off setting on a fuel shut off valve. But I don't know anything about your jet.

Reading above, seems like I missed a good opportunity on Wed to learn, but don't know enough yet to ask proper questions.

I will be learning TAW though, as advised. So hang in there, Wombat. Hear you're a good teacher. :thumbsup:

Its actually activating a physical stop on the throttle that prevents returning it to the off position when the engine is fully operational. You can only pull the throttle back to the idle position. With the Cougar there isn't any such physical stop so I think when its fully pulled back, past a very mild idle detent, it simulates the idle position. Mind you I've yet to test this theory. I once flew in an FA18A simulator. To get the throttle from off, past the idle detent, almost broke your wrist. It just seemed it used a very heavy idle detent to stop you pulling back further to the off position. I think this is what the Cougar is meant to simulate.

Others here might be able to clarify particularly in relation to the real F16 and the Cougar in BMS.

We look forward to your arrival at TAW2.0 MP. Its the place to start. :thumbsup: But we won't expect any heroics. :lol: Even getting on Team Speak 3 can be a challenge. ;) But its worth it.

Its actually activating a physical stop on the throttle that prevents returning it to the off position when the engine is fully operational. You can only pull the throttle back to the idle position. With the Cougar there isn't any such physical stop so I think when its fully pulled back, past a very mild idle detent, it simulates the idle position.

Spot on. If you do have a throttle with a hard idle detent, you can enable that, which disables this feature.

Thanks. I'm in the middle of backing up the W7 since I finally got the hardware working properly(?) last night. Now to program the X52pro with the software and hope I don't mistreat it again. My e mail is on my profile. Welcome to use it so I don't spread the breath of my ignorance. Still, there's hope. ;)

BTW, the only Marine craft I flew had a detent and lift for cut-off.

I haven't used Saitek drivers in a number of years, but they used to have a program called NukeUSB that would basically remove all traces of the old driver if your installation got corrupted (which happened a lot more than it should have).

I've just completed the BMS Ramp Start Training Mission - Number 00. :jawdrop: Bloody hell!!!! You recon I'm slow getting in the air in TAW2.0! You should see me in this. And the instructor is helping over my shoulder! I got through it Ok until they removed the chocks, where upon I started to move forward, slowly mind you, but still forward. DON"T PANICK!!!! DON'T PANICK!!! Where's the frigging brake!!!! Christ, that hanger looks solid and it getting closer :( ........... :nuke:........ Are well, better luck next time. :rofl:

It was really good though! Great mission. Super script. I must have set the idle too high. It was showing a minimum of 70%. I also have to work on the trim checks. Couldn't do these properly. Also I don't think my FLCS thingy was working properly.

Small issue: just before the chocks were removed, I checked those indicator panel lights to see that they were all off. This would mean there were no problems prior to taxiing. However, there was one light on ........... :( What was it? ENGINE FIRE. :wtf: ................. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HF's training package (cont)

Take the time to program your MFDs in the Data Cartridge (DTC). You can find a default setup online if you don't know where to start, but if you have ever used Falcon or AF, you should have a clue as to how you like things set up.

I'm on to this as the next step.

I've started by looking at the DTC Tutorial put together by Krause. When I try to d/l his default setup, I got the text rather than the option to d/l. Krause mentions this and what he says is reproduced here:

" ....... Save the above to C:\Falcon BMS 4.32\User\Config

Rename it to your CallSign.ini

If you click the link and it doesn't ask you to download, but instead just displays a bunch of text, just do file, save as on Internet Explorer or firefox, save page as in Firefox. ......."

What does he mean by the bit I've made bold? :huh:

Thanks

Bump

Bump

http://community.combatsim.com/topic/30127-wombat-to-join-falcon-432-bms/page__st__60#entry5147784

Also, regarding the jet starting to roll, the F-16 can roll even at idle if it doesn't have a heavy load. Be sure to set the parking brake; I think that this is part of the pre-start checklist.

http://community.com...60#entry5147784

Also, regarding the jet starting to roll, the F-16 can roll even at idle if it doesn't have a heavy load. Be sure to set the parking brake; I think that this is part of the pre-start checklist.

Sorry ....I missed those posts. :blush: I'll go and review now.

In regard to the parking brake. It does have in as part of the pre-start checklist as you suggested, but I think it tells you to turn it off prior to taxiing. However no problem. Should be easy for me to pull up next time. Incidental I read somewhere else that the idle speed is 70% so it was in the normal setting for taxiing and not over powered as I thought.

That BMS Ramp start training mission is great. I think its better than the one in the Dash 1 manual. The Dash 1 Manual Ramp Start presumes you know things (SHIFT / for nose wheel steering for an example ...... although everybody know how to nose wheel steer :lol: ......... it used to drive them mad at Frugals :banghead: ).

The only thing with the BMS training mission is that it guides you around the 'pit. Great for expediting each step, but not so good in reinforcing the 'pit layout. Using the 'pit layouts on page 139 on the Dash1 Manual and/or alternatively the layout on the first page of the Open Falcon (OF) Ramp Start Procedure here might overcome that. Not sure if the OF ' pit is the same as the BMS 'pit though. I'll need to check.

Thanks for the help. :coffeetime:

The other thing (since you can already fly): if you're comfortable, skip to the avionics missions (nav/AA). You can always go back and brush up on the aerodynamics missions to get the nuances of viper flight.

The problem is my memory. Rather the short term one. The other day I remembered exactly as to where I stored my Battery terminal cleaner and I haven't used it for 20 years! :dancinguy: Alternatively I couldn't remember which TAW2.0 key commands where used for Sensor up/down which I had been re-programming to my Cougar a month before! :(

right click on the download link, and select the "Save Link as" or "Save As" option (depending on your browser).

Perfect. Now have it installed as my default DTC. Thanks.

BMS4.32 training Mission

I've been having a better look at the BMS Training Missions.

1. Training Mission 8 will not load.

2. There are no training scripts written for missions 40, 42, 43, 45 to 48, 50 to 52.

3. The value of most training scripts can be considered "valueless".

By way of example here's script for Training Mission 15 "20mm Cannon (A-A)"

**********************************************************************************************************************

cannon.jpg

**********************************************************************************************************************

4. There are exceptions however, and here they are:

Mission 00 "Ramp Start" which is outstanding in terms of its presentation. As for its accuracy, I am too inexperienced to comment.

and

possibly mission 13 "Comms & IDM", 17 "HCMS AIM-9X Combination", 53 "Engine Restart", and 54 "Deep Stall Recovery".

I'm using BMS4.32 Training Mission 00 as my preferred package for Ramp Start training. I am also using it in conjunction with the the 'pit diagram from page 139 on the Dash1 Manual, together with the first page, and on, of the Open Falcon (OF) Ramp Start Procedure here. At least I can then identify physically where each instrument is positioned in the 'pit, as I undertake the interactive BMS4.32 Training Mission 00.

5. At least all the BMS training missions, other than number 8, put you in the 'pit in the right place to complete the mission. They just don't tell you how to do it. :lol: But that's what the other sources of information are for. So far I've covered Mission 00, 9 and 54 with alternative and hopefully better descriptors. And I still have Krause's tutorials to reinforce the training process.

EDIT: I've added my summarized script for BMS4.32 Training Mission 00 "Ramp Start" into my Public Dropbox here.

[its only draft though]

When I climb in the 'pit (since playing with the ramp start training mission), the trim is really bad. It rolls to the right in level flight. It appears to happen in any flight I'm on: TE's, Instant Action, etc. I've checked my Cougar calibration and that's fine. Have I upset the balance in the ramp start mission and its transferred to all flights? Surely not. Is there a way to set the trim to a default factory settings? I don't want to have to constantly re-trim every time I enter the 'pit. :( Thanks.

In regard to the parking brake. It does have in as part of the pre-start checklist as you suggested, but I think it tells you to turn it off prior to taxiing. However no problem. Should be easy for me to pull up next time. Incidental I read somewhere else that the idle speed is 70% so it was in the normal setting for taxiing and not over powered as I thought.

If you were taxiing, then that's a different story. I thought that you rolled into the hangar while doing your post-start routine (i.e. INS alignment, powering up avionics, etc.). Since you don't have rudders, you may want to map the k key (wheel brakes) to your S4 button in a cougar profile (or just use mine), though you still want to keep the DX setting as well for autopilot override.

That BMS Ramp start training mission is great. I think its better than the one in the Dash 1 manual. The Dash 1 Manual Ramp Start presumes you know things (SHIFT / for nose wheel steering for an example ...... although everybody know how to nose wheel steer :lol: ......... it used to drive them mad at Frugals :banghead: ).

The only thing with the BMS training mission is that it guides you around the 'pit. Great for expediting each step, but not so good in reinforcing the 'pit layout. Using the 'pit layouts on page 139 on the Dash1 Manual and/or alternatively the layout on the first page of the Open Falcon (OF) Ramp Start Procedure here might overcome that. Not sure if the OF ' pit is the same as the BMS 'pit though. I'll need to check.

Glad to help.

The dash 1 doesn't so much assume you know the keystrokes as describe the functionality without tying you to a specific key file. This allows it to be useful across all BMS installations. Also, even though Shift / is probably the most known unknown key command (NWS is something of a joke in the F4 community), now that we have BMS you should use its HOTAS command. Tap S1 on the ground and you will toggle NWS, which is a lot more useful than hitting a key combo when you're on takeoff roll.

The other thing (since you can already fly): if you're comfortable, skip to the avionics missions (nav/AA). You can always go back and brush up on the aerodynamics missions to get the nuances of viper flight.

The problem is my memory. Rather the short term one. The other day I remembered exactly as to where I stored my Battery terminal cleaner and I haven't used it for 20 years! :dancinguy: Alternatively I couldn't remember which TAW2.0 key commands where used for Sensor up/down which I had been re-programming to my Cougar a month before! :(

the aerodynamics missions are all about muscle memory, and realizing how the plane flies. No need to compare this with the avionics oriented missions (nav/combat), which rely on buttonology. That's also why I recommended hitting aerodynamics once the avionics are second nature (i.e ingrained beyond STM).