COMBATSIM Forum
Wombat1940

HOTAS Cougar Profile for Arm2-OA

I've now played a bit of ArmA2-OA in SP and even less in MP. Badly in both cases. :rolleyes: But I find I have to keep looking at the keyboard, which, by looking away each time, can be extremely unhealthy during role play.......... :( .

I'm going to write a very simple .tmj and .tmm profile for my Cougar throttle ...... the digital hats/buttons only. That still leaves my right hand free for the mouse. I'm sure others have done it already, but it a personal preference thing ..... bit like my TAW2.0 profile. In my case its bloody simple, but it works for me.

I'm possibly going to include the following keystrokes: W,S,A,D,Q,E,Z,X,C,V,G,F,LCTL,Push to Talk,Alt,ShiftW,Enter,M,Page Up, Page Down ....... as a start. Sorry .... if you are not an ArmA2-OA player these will mean nothing to you. Maybe I have to be more selective, or maybe I need to include others. Maybe some are more important than others: eg. Z,X,C.

What do you think?

Is it a waste of time?

Alternatively should I just persevere with Keyboard?

Are there other keys that as a novice I have overlooked?

Thanks for any input.

Wombat,

Don't Do It! :superscare::superscare::superscare:

Actually, you can have a cougar profile for aircraft, but stay away from an infantry profile.

There are a few reasons for this:

• The cougar is a sensitive stick which isn't designed to go to full deflection instantly like you would with an Xbox controller. However, this is exactly what you would be doing by mapping WASD to it.
  • The cougar stick is right handed, as is your mouse. The WASD keyset is designed to be used with the left hand, freeing your right hand for the mouse. The cougar profile would nullify this.

The WASD keys may seem confusing and counterintuitive, but they have actually been something of a FPS standard since the late 1990s with Quake II. My advice is to learn it and become comfortable with it. You'll notice that the important keys are never a finger length away (R for reload, F for changing fire, zxc for prone/crouch/stand, Q/E for lean/roll). If you just can't get used to the WASD keys, there are special controllers out there that emulate this with programmability. The Nostromo controllers (formerly by Belkin, now Razer) are pretty good (I actually use my n52 as an aux controller for Falcon BMS), and are designed for the left hand. The Ideazon Z Fang is another nice programmable controller that is ambidextrous. There are also other controllers out there (including a nice one by Logitech), but I haven't used them.

Now this is for infantry, and I would also say for vehicles. The flyable aircraft have separate controller inputs (as you will see from the options menu). This is where you should have your cougar profile. This will allow you to use your WASD and mouse to walk over to your A-10, hop in, then take your cougar and TrackIR to fly it and knock out tanks!

It was actually the Throttle (see original post) that I was going to program as this leaves my right hand free for the mouse. That is using the digital buttons and hats. I like "push to talk" and would prefer to get it away from the keyboard. I don't like voice activated as there is too much heavy breathing from my end. :lol: Also there are so many other keys to press in ArmA that focusing totally on the screen is impossible. Also I'd rather spend my $$$ on FS equipment and treat ArmA as a bit of light relaxation.

However, is the heavy use of Throttle buttons for ArmA justified. I don't want to wear them out. ;)

Thanks for the input.

I'd rather spend my $$$ on FS equipment and treat ArmA as a bit of light relaxation.

I can respect that. In that case, I would definitely learn the keyboard. I'm not sure about wearing out the throttle, but it's not worth risking, and you would be doing a lot of sustained movement on the buttons. Besides, there aren't enough commands on the throttle to offset use of the keyboard; you're much better off using the keyboard and mapping left control or left alt as another TS3 PTT key.

I can respect that. In that case, I would definitely learn the keyboard. I'm not sure about wearing out the throttle, but it's not worth risking, and you would be doing a lot of sustained movement on the buttons. Besides, there aren't enough commands on the throttle to offset use of the keyboard; you're much better off using the keyboard and mapping left control or left alt as another TS3 PTT key.

Thanks for that. There are roughly 48 available commands on the throttle which I thought would be enough. However, its the " ....sustained movement on the buttons ......" which worries me. Hence will stick with the keyboard and re-map some of the commands as you suggested. :thumbsup:

For those who wonder what its like to have short term memory problems, here's my latest experience.

I can to this Forum to start a thread on "Is it worth using a Joystick for Arma II?" Only to find this thread I started 3 months ago with all the information I need!!! :blush: I don't know whether to laugh or cry so I'll do both. :lol::( No wonder I struggle with Flight Sims. :rolleyes:

As for long term memory, it not an issue; so I should be thankful for that. :thumbsup: