COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mikew

Windows 8

After 'upgrading' to Windows 8, the 'Return' key no longer causes a line break on this forum. I'm going to press it now....but the line just carries on.

I'm embracing the future...

The RETURN key works fine if I 'toggle editing mode' which I did for the above break. Let's try a CODE block,

....no, doesn't work there either.

Just shows what happens when you lose sight of the Mission Statement and just go for the loot! Ever since Bill went off doing his thing, the MS Money-Changers took over.

Yes, well whether Ballmer should fix Win8 or The Dude should fix Combatsim isn't really my problem as a third party user. I just know it doesn't work.....

I will be ordering Pogue's Windows 7, The Missing Manual to see if i can fix the Install Wizard error I keep getting.

Win 8 will have to grow without me.

Yep, future or not, Winblows Ate sucks.

I'm embracing the future...

The RETURN key works fine if I 'toggle editing mode' which I did for the above break. Let's try a CODE block,

Just catching up with this thread again. I'm on my Win 8 Notebook now happily using the <Return> key, either of them. Sorry ..... that reads horribly ilke "and so up your's!". :( PLEASE......... its not meant to be. Its just some of us are having to come to terms with Win8 (even if it sucks ...... even if I love XP on my PC) because that's what my Notebook came with, no choice. :( So any chance to talk about Win8 and whatever problem I jump at. :thumbsup:So why does the <Return> key work so simply for me and not mikeW? What I don't see, are the <'> and <"> texts when I first press the relavent keys. This is what I first see < ......... then <'> when press the second > key. Its not just here at CombatSim but also ont OpenOffice Text documents.
Let's try a CODE block,

What are you supposed to see with that?

One good thing I have enjoyed with Win8 is there "Search" function.

I doubt anyone would be offended. :) Like someone said, "muscle memory" - and we all get used to something we are comfortable with. I'm still learning W 7. ie. with digging, accidentally found I can maximize and reduce text and even pictures with Control and the mouse wheel. Who knew that I didn't have to mouse to "view" then zoom to expand something?

BTW, that link you posted to a W 8 tutorial will come in handy too. We may all be using W 8 or 9 or W10 sometime.

My only objection to W 8 (Not that we have been formally introduced) is having to touch the screen with greasy fingers. But I see one doesn't even have to do that to use it.

But I'll fire up the W98 or even the 3.1 to conquer this hill. Or preferably, learn XP 'n W7 properly first.

Not a plug, but Pogue's Post and blogs in the tech section of the NY Times has been full of W 8 hints lately.