Krycztij

TFXplorer

71 posts in this topic

Announcing
TFXplorer
Discover the worlds of TAW, ADF, and EF2000 — without the limitations of the actual games! More screenshots here and here.
2013-01-25 TFXplorer 1.0.png

59b38b5701647_1teaser.png.2623742dd20c4ebf1478407b980dfe84.png.2aef48a69d14ec2506c2ea6e806dd384.png

System Requirements:

Requires Air Dominance Fighter, Total Air War, Total Air War 2.0, or Super EF2000 installed.

I personally tested it on Windows 7 only, but it should work on Windows XP, Vista, and 10 as well.

You need a Direct3D 9-compatible graphics card (ATI Radeon 9500 / Nvidia GeForce MX or higher — basically any decent GPU you bought after 2003).

Download:

https://app.box.com/s/1f8sw293hh7h8f12qfx8abhwbf2qiu4h (updated September 9th, 2017)

Setup:

If you have already installed an older version of TFXplorer, or if you use 3View, you can skip the following step:

• If you have not already installed the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010), get them here. Otherwise, TFXplorer will not start due to D3DX9_43.DLL and other files missing.

If you have Total Air War 2.0 installed, copy TFXplorer x86 and the UAW folder to the Total Air War 2.0 folder. If you have ADF, TAW or Super EF2000 installed, copy them to ADF/TAW/EF2000’s PROGRAM folder.

Double-click TFXplorer x86. The splash screen should appear.

Usage:

In-Game:

• Plane controls are just like TAW's.
  • SHIFT+Q quits the game or switches to explorer mode.

You can switch to explorer mode via SHIFT+Q; X:

• Press the left mouse button to move forward.
  • SHIFT+S cycles the time of day. N toggles night vision at night.
  • F1 toggles wireframe rendering.
  • F2 takes a screenshot and saves it as a bitmap with a reconnaissance-like look.
  • F3 switches from Glide to Direct3D and vice versa (only important for developers).
  • F4 toggles target names.
  • F5 brings you back to in-game mode.
  • Repeatedly press S to increase viewing range, or X to decrease.
  • NUMPAD 6, 2, 4, and 8 glide north, south, west, and east.
  • NUMPAD 5 and CTRL+NUMPAD 5 glide up/down.

64-bit Version (it's faster!):

Requires Windows Vista or later. Download: https://app.box.com/s/6lvmsbpyfi6swwz7awifd9ds712lgyom (updated September 9th, 2017)

Have fun! Please let me know here of any problems, bugs, and suggestions :)

— Pjotr

Edited by Krycztij
updated to version 1.2

What an amazing job. Works flawlessly on my Windows XP, either with the original unpacked F22-TAW installation or the Home Fries F22 TAW 2.22a version. Very nice details on the cockpit. I could go on and on with the praising but I would never do justice to the sensation you get when using it. I can't find any rendering flaws when comparing it to the actual game engine. I navigated for only a few minutes and I already saw details on the scenery that I had never seen before! I think everyone should give it try. Even the clouds look pretty!

I think I know this "tool" (?) was developed in the context of decoding the data files within TAW and, apparently, it does a very good job at that, but I have to wonder, do you have any plans to keep developing it into something more?

As for the problems/bugs/suggestions, well, that depends one the purpose of the tool itself. As a scenery explorer, there's not much to change or add. I could think of maybe adding a mini-map to the explorer mode. As an "F22 simulator", indeed, the flight physics are different. But I'm sure they are just a draft of what they could be. In order to make it more realistic, I believe it would require a lot more thought. I don't even know how to program such thing as I have never even seen an algorithm for the simulation of flight.

Anyway, here are three things that are evidently wrong with the flight physics. The plane "stalls" at 40000ft. The nose has a tendency to fall constantly even when accelerating through 500kts at 10000ft. When using time warp the "stall" altitude becomes around 30000ft.

Thank you for sharing this amazing work! :icon_bow:

Realy nice. Particularly the screenshot above. Would be a huge asset in pre/in flight mission briefings. No offense, but I almost overlooked the thread as "TFX blah blah", meant nothing to me. Bit like "hex-editing" or "C++" :blink: .

Just a couple of questions:

We can take screenshot during a mission flight. In fact we try to fly "recon" flights (no wingman, no weapons, fully stealthy) to get these shots. Its dangerous work. ;)

But on a serious note, are you flying something else?

Are there any bandits or A-G enemy weapons around?

Is it easy getting the labels on the screenshots?

I mean flying a Strike mission against Gonder Airbase having (prior to take-off) first seeing the above screenshot would be a huge advantage. And if you can first take these screenshots unharassed. :dancinguy:

EDIT: Maybe the thread title should be expanded so that dumbos like me can recognize what's it all about. Just a thought. ;)

What an amazing job. Works flawlessly on my Windows XP, either with the original unpacked F22-TAW installation or the Home Fries F22 TAW 2.22a version. Very nice details on the cockpit. I could go on and on with the praising but I would never do justice to the sensation you get when using it. I can't find any rendering flaws when comparing it to the actual game engine. I navigated for only a few minutes and I already saw details on the scenery that I had never seen before! I think everyone should give it try. Even the clouds look pretty!
Thank you very much!

I think I know this "tool" (?) was developed in the context of decoding the data files within TAW and, apparently, it does a very good job at that, but I have to wonder, do you have any plans to keep developing it into something more?
Into a TAW clone, obviously ;) But this is going to take years. Into a mission editor, I guess. So you could place your units in 3D, WYSIWYG-like; press F5, and immediately see what would happen in the game. This is going to take years, too. Anyways – my internal version implements a cannon (maybe we can soon make buildings explode) and we're currently trying to decode ACM files so you can see your dogfights in high-fidelity 3D. Lots of things to do.

As for the problems/bugs/suggestions, well, that depends one the purpose of the tool itself. As a scenery explorer, there's not much to change or add. I could think of maybe adding a mini-map to the explorer mode.
Yes; that's right. Although TAW's mini map has been studied extensively in order to solve that D3D corruption, I have not yet had any time to implement it. It's currently delayed to cockpit instruments. Explorer mode will show you the airspace you're currently in (those are TAW's actual borders) and tile positions, these can be used for a little navigation.

As an "F22 simulator", indeed, the flight physics are different. But I'm sure they are just a draft of what they could be. In order to make it more realistic, I believe it would require a lot more thought. I don't even know how to program such thing as I have never even seen an algorithm for the simulation of flight.

Anyway, here are three things that are evidently wrong with the flight physics. The plane "stalls" at 40000ft. The nose has a tendency to fall constantly even when accelerating through 500kts at 10000ft. When using time warp the "stall" altitude becomes around 30000ft.

Can you keep a secret? I had never ever seen an algorithm for the simulation of flight either before I started programming it ;)

The Order of the 50lb Headshas already had lots of discussions on that: There are actually two simulation systems at work; one is conventional physics for bullets, bombs, missiles, and crashing planes; the other is the computer controlled flight system of the F-22. Currently, only the first is implemented (and still far from complete!), so the F-22 actually behaves like a guided missile. It's just scratch, it's far from perfect, but it's better than nothing … see also my reply on you Maverick range thread …

Thank you for sharing this amazing work! :icon_bow:
Thank you for using and appreciating it! :thumbsup:

Realy nice. Particularly the screenshot above. Would be a huge asset in pre/in flight mission briefings. No offense, but I almost overlooked the thread as "TFX blah blah", meant nothing to me. Bit like "hex-editing" or "C++" :blink: .

…EDIT: Maybe the thread title should be expanded so that dumbos like me can recognize what's it all about. Just a thought. ;)

Yes; I was quite unconfident about the thread title … see, I'm a programmer, not good at marketing :lol: So, if anyone has an idea on a title, I'll ask a moderator to change it.

Just a couple of questions:

We can take screenshot during a mission flight. In fact we try to fly "recon" flights (no wingman, no weapons, fully stealthy) to get these shots. Its dangerous work. ;)

But on a serious note, are you flying something else?

Are there any bandits or A-G enemy weapons around?

Is it easy getting the labels on the screenshots?

I mean flying a Strike mission against Gonder Airbase having (prior to take-off) first seeing the above screenshot would be a huge advantage. And if you can first take these screenshots unharassed. :dancinguy:

Sadly, there are no other units (yet); just you and terrain / buildings. We're looking into implementing that, but there's still lots to do before we can do that.

Just try it! Setup is really easy … once you've started it, press SHIFT+Q (as if you're about to quit TAW) but hit X for explorer mode. Now you have your labels. You can fly around, investigate the buildings and bases, and take your screenshots. You can also change time of day, enable night vision, and so on.

If recon screenshots are a common interest of the community, I'm sure I can implement those (with automatic B/W filtering; labels; and so on). Maybe Home Fries could then include the program to the TAW 2.0 launcher :)

Sadly, there are no other units (yet); just you and terrain / buildings. We're looking into implementing that, but there's still lots to do before we can do that.

But that's what I (can I say we) want. Units can move, re-locate, fly away, etc, between a recon mission and, lets say, a Strike Flight mission. Its the Situation Awareness that I seek. Just the geography of the place.

Just try it! Setup is really easy … once you've started it, press SHIFT+Q (as if you're about to quit TAW) but hit X for explorer mode. Now you have your labels. You can fly around, investigate the buildings and bases, and take your screenshots. You can also change time of day, enable night vision, and so on.

If recon screenshots are a common interest of the community, I'm sure I can implement those (with automatic B/W filtering; labels; and so on). Maybe Home Fries could then include the program to the TAW 2.0 launcher :)

I am gob smacked! Will download and install now. Can't wait to try. Thanks a million. :thumbsup:

EDIT: We are very lucky to have people like yourself to put the time into investigating TAW and its make up. I look at the associated threads and marvel at the programming detail discussed. Its beyond me, however its not my thing. I don't have the background or patience to investigating the detail, but have a huge interest in seeing the implementation of the findings. We trust you and your team have the continued patience and the time to maintain that interest. I trust I speak for all others here at TAW2.0 and the ADF/TAW forum.

I'm blown away! Amazed at the hard work and talent displayed in this site. :icon_bow:

Thank you all! :thumbsup:

I had also read some of the threads and decided I could read the words but the meaning was meant for much higher intellects.

Also second what Wombat says just above in his edit.

Into a TAW clone, obviously ;)

"Clone" as in "standalone combat flight simulator"? Or just a "TAW simulator"? The first would imply a more realistic and updated simulator which could eventually replace TAW, the second would be just a tool to simulate TAW's world and laws.. you can't, however, get to the standalone simulator unless you had, at least, something like a "TAW simulator"..

we're currently trying to decode ACM files so you can see your dogfights in high-fidelity 3D. Lots of things to do.

Is there any work already done on this matter? I wouldn't mind trying to help, although I'm pretty sure that any member from the Order of the 50lb HeadsTM will do in days what I'll take weeks to do..

There are actually two simulation systems at work; one is conventional physics for bullets, bombs, missiles, and crashing planes; the other is the computer controlled flight system of the F-22. Currently, only the first is implemented (and still far from complete!), so the F-22 actually behaves like a guided missile.

RIght! Hence the ballistic curve, maybe. Do you discuss the implementation of those systems on a private environment or do you do it in a public thread? I would enjoy reading your thoughts on that matter..

But that's what I (can I say we) want. Units can move, re-locate, fly away, etc, between a recon mission and, lets say, a Strike Flight mission. Its the Situation Awareness that I seek. Just the geography of the place.
Believe me: That's exactly what we (speaking for the developers here) want, too. It's just, implementing a game where douzens of people worked on for ten years takes quite some time, especially with jobs and family :( But we're working hard for progress.

EDIT: We are very lucky to have people like yourself to put the time into investigating TAW and its make up. I look at the associated threads and marvel at the programming detail discussed. Its beyond me, however its not my thing. I don't have the background or patience to investigating the detail, but have a huge interest in seeing the implementation of the findings. We trust you and your team have the continued patience and the time to maintain that interest. I trust I speak for all others here at TAW2.0 and the ADF/TAW forum.

I'm blown away! Amazed at the hard work and talent displayed in this site. :icon_bow:

Thank you all! :thumbsup:

Also second what Wombat says just above in his edit.

The other developers (mind that I mostly baked the discoveries of mikew, DrKevDog and Home Fries into C++ code) are quiet on this thread, so I'll speak for them as well when I say thank you very much!

"Clone" as in "standalone combat flight simulator"? Or just a "TAW simulator"? The first would imply a more realistic and updated simulator which could eventually replace TAW, the second would be just a tool to simulate TAW's world and laws.. you can't, however, get to the standalone simulator unless you had, at least, something like a "TAW simulator"..
Both still are so far away (years!) it wouldn't make sense to decide now. We're just making the best we can out of what we found out about TAW :)

Do you discuss the implementation of those systems on a private environment or do you do it in a public thread? I would enjoy reading your thoughts on that matter..
We're discussing this via private messages. I do not want to announce new features, have the community hear it, and then need to tell that there were unexpected problems and we had to drop the feature. Discussing privately is less pressure.

Is there any work already done on this matter? I wouldn't mind trying to help, although I'm pretty sure that any member from the Order of the 50lb HeadsTM will do in days what I'll take weeks to do..
Currently, the most limiting factor is my time. mikew has decoded most of the ACMI files, and he and DrKevDog did great investigation on supershapes (turrets, missile information, etc.), but I have not yet come to write the according code. If you want to help, test TFXplorer the best you can; try to find glitches and bugs; search for the most extreme conditions.

Currently the list of known bugs is:

• Joystick problems, lots of. I don't have any idea on that.
  • On Vista and later, if you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, the window goes blank until you resize it. I'm fixing that.
  • Tile coordinates in explorer mode show W(est)/N(orth) although it should be E/N.

Then place TFXplorer x86 in the PROGRAM folder of ADF or TAW. (Actually, placing it in the same folder like DID.DAT suffices.)

I'm having trouble with the above.

My TAW2.0 is here in the: C:\DiD\F-22 Total Air War 2.0 folder and there is no DID.DAT in this folder.

The only did.dat file I can find is here in the: C:\Program Files\Digital Image Design\SEF2000 folder.

What do you mean by the "...... PROGRAM folder of ADF or TAW ....."?

Sorry .... its the little (and big) things that fool me ...... :blush:

No problem! Please wait a few minutes; I'm on a new PC here and need to install 2.0 first …

No problem! Please wait a few minutes; I'm on a new PC here and need to install 2.0 first …

:thumbsup:

Got it! TAW 2.0's did.dat is already extracted. Just place the EXE in C:\DiD\F-22 Total Air War 2.0 and it should work.

Roger.

Roger.

I think I've got it!!!! :icon_rock::dancinguy::icon_salute3: Thanks.

ControlTower_zps4393efca.jpg

If you like, I could add a b/w filter and film grain. To make it look more recon-y. Just let me know :)

130127recon.png

Thanks, but the only trouble is I'm having difficult navigating to any location.

Eg. From your original screenshot ......Gonder .... yes .... Airspace: Ethiopian .....yes ...... but Tile: 159W 64N??? How do I navigate to this location?

Here's my contribution: Bur Sudan. Airspace: Sudan. Tile: XX whatever YY whatever

BurSudan_zpsc410634b.jpg

But I didn't navigate there, I just "flew" N after entry and stumbled on it. Is the entry point always at the same location? Its seems a location I recognize from numerous Custom Combat flights.

Of interest: only my x and y axis work on my joystick and there seems to be singular, non-variable throttle setting of 95%.

Use the NUMPAD keys 8,4,2 and 6 to ´warp' north, west, south and east respectively.

The entry point is always at the same location...which is same as that used for 'Custom Combat' in TAW.

If you want to help, test TFXplorer the best you can; try to find glitches and bugs; search for the most extreme conditions.

Currently the list of known bugs is:

• Joystick problems, lots of. I don't have any idea on that.
  • On Vista and later, if you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, the window goes blank until you resize it. I'm fixing that.
  • Tile coordinates in explorer mode show W(est)/N(orth) although it should be E/N.

Joystick problems, lots of. I don't have any idea on that.

I see TFXplorer TAW2.0 as a tool. However its a tool with a different purpose thathn those of the 50th. Being the ultimate end user (never happy unless I'm strapped into the cockpit seat :lol:), its the recon. screenshot that I'm after. I have no issue with using the HOTAS joystick and its limitations as I just want to fly around and maneuver with the x & y joystick axes which I can do. Sorry ...... sound terrible ..... but its true ....... :sofa1:

On Vista and later, if you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, the window goes blank until you resize it. I'm fixing that.

Isn't this just a junction of the OS? In Win 8 the function of CTRL+ALT+DEL leaves you scratching you head when compared to its use in XP.

Tile coordinates in explorer mode show W(est)/N(orth) although it should be E/N.

Yes I noticed when I was flying it an Easterly setting sun at one stage. But that's always no problem here in Oz: goes with everything being upside down. ;)

Use the NUMPAD keys 8,4,2 and 6 to ´warp' north, west, south and east respectively.

Does it just turn you N, W, S and E or actually warp (jump) you N, W, S and E. [sorry ...... I can check that myself .... ]

The entry point is always at the same location...which is same as that used for 'Custom Combat' in TAW.

Roger. I need to identify that location, mark it coordinates and go from there. I also need to find where N 00, E 00 is. I assume it in the bottom left hand corner of the map. I can then map the co-ordinates for the location of other places.

The NUMPAD keys actually jump you a few tiles in each direction, regardless of which direction you're looking at.

Yes, 0,0 is at the bottom left of the map.

The file 'campaign.trg' in the lev folder can be opened in Notepad and has a list of all targets.

eg:

rem "Airbases_EGYPT"

127 92 373 0 "Hurghada"

You can ignore the first number, and Hurghada airbase is at 92,373.

Does it just turn you N, W, S and E or actually warp (jump) you N, W, S and E. [sorry ...... I can check that myself .... ]

It jumps. :icon_rock: Perfect!

Roger. I need to identify that location, mark it coordinates and go from there. I also need to find where Tile W 00, N 00 is. I assume it in the bottom left hand corner of the map. I can then map the co-ordinates for the location of other places.

I flew to Tile W 01; N01 which I did to two steps: one bearing 180 degrees and far as I could go and then the other bearing 090 degrees and then again flew as far as I could go. Then went hunting for Ad Dabbah airbase and found it at Tile 34W, 19N. :thumbsup:

addabbah_zpsd88fb970.jpg

This it now marked on the map:

Map_zps65dd12bf.jpg

@Krycztij. I'd now like to take you up on your offer: " ....... If you like, I could add a b/w filter and film grain. To make it look more recon-y. Just let me know ..... "

Thanks. :thumbsup:

The NUMPAD keys actually jump you a few tiles in each direction, regardless of which direction you're looking at.

Yes, 0,0 is at the bottom left of the map.

The file 'campaign.trg' in the lev folder can be opened in Notepad and has a list of all targets.

eg:

rem "Airbases_EGYPT"

127 92 373 0 "Hurghada"

You can ignore the first number, and Hurghada airbase is at 92,373.

Perfect!!! Thanks!!!! So I've got all the coordinates. :bow: Now to take recon. screenshots (after a bit of help from Krycztij :lol: )

EDIT: I now think Home Fries has know all that I've just found out for a long time. His In-Flight Briefing where so beautifully done. Great screenshots, super wireframe diagrams, etc. I could never do them as well as I was too busy being stealthy, dodging SAM's, running from bandits, etc, to take any decent screenshots! :lol:

However its the best way to learn: do the investigation yourself with a little (big) help from others. Thanks Boys! :thumbsup:

@Krycztij. I'd now like to take you up on your offer: " ....... If you like, I could add a b/w filter and film grain. To make it look more recon-y. Just let me know ..... "

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Yes; no problem. But please wait a little; weekend's over and my job is calling.

Joystick problems, lots of. I don't have any idea on that.

I see TFXplorer TAW2.0 as a tool. However its a tool with a different purpose thathn those of the 50th. Being the ultimate end user (never happy unless I'm strapped into the cockpit seat :lol:), its the recon. screenshot that I'm after. I have no issue with using the HOTAS joystick and its limitations as I just want to fly around and maneuver with the x & y joystick axes which I can do. Sorry ...... sound terrible ..... but its true ....... :sofa1:

Well it's fine then :) Nontheless, I wish I could do anything about the problems, but that's gonna have to wait until I have more time.

On Vista and later, if you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, the window goes blank until you resize it. I'm fixing that.

Isn't this just a junction of the OS? In Win 8 the function of CTRL+ALT+DEL leaves you scratching you head when compared to its use in XP.

Yes; it's an OS thing. But the OS deprives applications of the GPU in this case, so that you cannot, for example, render a fake login screen while Secure Desktop (that login screen) is running. TFXplorer didn't handle that well, and that was entirely my fault.

Tile coordinates in explorer mode show W(est)/N(orth) although it should be E/N.

Yes I noticed when I was flying it an Easterly setting sun at one stage. But that's always no problem here in Oz: goes with everything being upside down. ;)

:D

I don't have much to add right now because I'm away from my usual laptop and can't test the stuff that you're talking about.. but I will say this to Wombat.. with the number of airfields that I believe you'll find, you're going to need a bigger map! :P