Krycztij

TFXplorer

71 posts in this topic

Wombat, would that be o.k.?

Bloody hell! That was quick! Yes that's fine ......... although, IMHO, the "rendering" (do call it it?) ....... doesn't seem as sharp as in your earlier post .....here.

EDIT: On second thoughts ..... maybe its because the first shot is closer .....

I don't have much to add right now because I'm away from my usual laptop and can't test the stuff that you're talking about.. but I will say this to Wombat.. with the number of airfields that I believe you'll find, you're going to need a bigger map! :P

Wait 'til I start marking coordinates for all the bridges ....... :rofl:

Talking about maps, I do like this one.

map2_zps0c74f341.jpg

Have it along side my kneepad in the cockpit ..... just in case I have to find the closest airfield to put her down in an emergency. Sorry ...... put her down again in an ........ :rolleyes:

The NUMPAD keys actually jump you a few tiles in each direction, regardless of which direction you're looking at.

Yes, 0,0 is at the bottom left of the map.

The file 'campaign.trg' in the lev folder can be opened in Notepad and has a list of all targets.

eg:

rem "Airbases_EGYPT"

127 92 373 0 "Hurghada"

You can ignore the first number, and Hurghada airbase is at 92,373.

Thanks Mike. The direction you move seems to match the orientation of the 8, 6, 2, 4 keys on the NUMPAD ie. 8 for North, 6 for East, 2 for South and 4 for West. Looking at my map, '0W 0N' tile is in the bottom left hand corner, '400W 0N' bottom right hand corner, '400W 400N' top right hand corner and '0W 400N' top left hand corner.

That make 400 x 400 = 160 000 tiles (sorry ...... you'll all know this, but its all new to me ..... :lol: ).

I've now have a paper based map with gridlines running N-S / E-W, 20 'units' between each gridline. That means they are 20 x 20 = 400 tiles within each gridline square. This allows me to fly to an approx. location of any airbase within a defined square. Eg. Jizan Airbase is in the 260-280 E-W/160-180 N-S square. Have yet to check if this is confirmed with the specified location in the 'campaign.trg' file (thanks again for that Mike). However as someone else said "a picture is worth a thousand words". ;) Maybe there's a map with this configuration already. It looks familiar ...... :huh:

Ha! just checked the Hurghada airbase at 92,373 (details supplied by Mikew in above post).

I can see It in the 80-100 E-W/360-380 N-S square on my map ......... :thumbsup:

revised 1st Feb 2013 version 2e. Copy your own image from here

map2e_zps84d5cb21.jpg

Goes with map in previous post. Just a sample of the full spreadsheet. Complete spreadsheet here @Riddler ...... no bridges though .... ;)

EDIT: Spreadsheet Revised (New Version: 2a)

MapCoordinates_zpsedd952dd.jpg

.. no bridges though .... ;)

Note that in the file 'campaign.trg', bridges are classed as 'Crossing points' and can be found at the end of the file.

Thanks Mike. Saw them listed, but didn't realise ....... :blush: Already finding small mistakes (oversights, incompletion, etc) on the spreadsheet so will update soon. Bit hasty in going to print .... :blush:

@ Riddler. There are bridges after all ..... :lol:

Note that in the file 'campaign.trg', bridges are classed as 'Crossing points' and can be found at the end of the file.

There's nothing (not just bridges) listed under Eritrea. :o Everything Eritean appears to be all listed under Ethiopia .....even Asmera airbase ....... :(

EDIT: I now think Home Fries has know all that I've just found out for a long time. His In-Flight Briefing where so beautifully done. Great screenshots, super wireframe diagrams, etc. I could never do them as well as I was too busy being stealthy, dodging SAM's, running from bandits, etc, to take any decent screenshots! :lol:

The best target recon shots are taken without even entering the cockpit. I loaded the mission in single player, and a strike mission would have a box under the map called "Target View". Click on that to get the image of the target you're supposed to hit, and keep tapping it to get views from different perspectives until you get what you like for the brief. Then take a screenshot.

Getting the view for the other players in the multiplayer mission involves making edits to the single player mission, in particular the PDL file (assigning player 0 to the different planes). Then take a screenshot of the target for each different plane (be sure to keep them straight).

deleted

The best target recon shots are taken without even entering the cockpit. I loaded the mission in single player, and a strike mission would have a box under the map called "Target View". Click on that to get the image of the target you're supposed to hit, and keep tapping it to get views from different perspectives until you get what you like for the brief. Then take a screenshot.

es

Getting the view for the other players in the multiplayer mission involves making edits to the single player mission, in particular the PDL file (assigning player 0 to the different planes). Then take a screenshot of the target for each different plane (be sure to keep them straight).

Very good, but I'm going to stick with the TFX Explorer option. Its got potential with TAWBC and the general MP missions. Its so quick to get around the ground. I now have marked (grid position) where all the airbases are so I can "fly" straight to them, get the recon shots, save and butt out. Its not just the airbases locations, its the cities, towns, ports, oil rigs, even the bridges can be found. Fly to, record with screenshots so quickly and butt out. There is no A-A or A-G detail but so what. No dodging and weaving. No requirement for stealth. You can even "fly" below the terrain. Ha! The enemy weaponry surprises are left to when one reaches the target in the real Strike Mission. A least this way you are primed, prior to departure, to know what's "over the hill" in terms of terrain and the static building Situation Awareness (SA). I was flying with Neph today in the 2 man mission "City 1 Yemen". I go the shock of my virtual life when I popped up to look at the target area. Spread over this huge valley! And then of course there were all the SAMs. However I was unfamiliar when the terrain layout, location of the cities and town, rigs, pumping stations, etc. Some recon shots of just the area would have been a huge advantage. Anyway ....... that's the plan. ;)

Wombat, would that be o.k.?

130128recon.png

Krycztij? The quality of your screenshots are so much better than mine. See here. What are you using?

My screenshot was taken with original TAW. TAW 2.0, on the other hand, has much brighter textures to look more desert-y.

I guess this causes the screenshot to become overbright. It could also be the additive noise I'm using. I'll check my coefficients to balance that out.

For the moment, you could try taking the shots at dusk or dawn rather than noon.

My screenshot was taken with original TAW. TAW 2.0, on the other hand, has much brighter textures to look more desert-y.

I guess this causes the screenshot to become overbright. It could also be the additive noise I'm using. I'll check my coefficients to balance that out.

For the moment, you could try taking the shots at dusk or dawn rather than noon.

Roger ...... I'll have a word to the recon pilot. ;) In all seriousness, are you using MS Paint (which I do)? I have another called Gimp, but never used it. Even my .bmp shots are not good. However its a poor craftsman that blames his tools. :) I think that change time for the shots is a good idea.

Roger ...... I'll have a word to the recon pilot. ;) In all seriousness, are you using MS Paint (which I do)? I have another called Gimp, but never used it. Even my .bmp shots are not good. However its a poor craftsman that blames his tools. :) I think that change time for the shots is a good idea.

I'm using MS Paint, too; but Windows 7's. It makes a subtle but important difference: XP's paint uses JPG as default file format, while 7's uses PNG. You should always choose PNG because it is lossless. JPG is lossy and will make your images look washed out! Consider that when saving the image.

Colored fonts are unlikely to happen … but I'll see what I can do with bold fonts or darker colors.

I'm using MS Paint, too; but Windows 7's. It makes a subtle but important difference: XP's paint uses JPG as default file format, while 7's uses PNG. You should always choose PNG because it is lossless. JPG is lossy and will make your images look washed out! Consider that when saving the image.

Colored fonts are unlikely to happen … but I'll see what I can do with bold fonts or darker colors.

That's for the text I presume ..... bold fonts/dark colors I mean.....?

If I upload the .bmp image to Photobucket it converts it to .png rather than a .jpg and might be very slightly better.

here's the .png shot

reconSaDah4_zps176933a4.png

here's the .jpg shot

reconSaDah4_zps5babf894.jpg

EDIT: Oh!!! They're a different size and a different appearance as well!!!! I think the .png shot is now much better. To make the text bigger, I'm actually "windowing" the TFXplorer image to 25% full screen. Seems to work ...... almost as good as your shots ....... well nearly ..... :lol:

Goes with map in previous post. Just a sample of the full spreadsheet. Complete spreadsheet here @Riddler ...... no bridges though .... ;)

EDIT: Spreadsheet Revised (New Version: 2a)

Already finding small mistakes (oversights, incompletion, etc) on the spreadsheet so will update soon. Bit hasty in going to print .... :blush:

@ Riddler. There are bridges after all ..... :lol:

Wombat, you have a hell of job ahead of you if you're going to list all those targets and then put it in a single image. I'm pretty sure I can use Flash to automate the display of that information over a nice clean map image. Flash would also allow for an standalone interactive map with selectable display options. Would that interest you?

And those TFXplorer recon shots are looking very nice :)

EDIT:

@Wombat: the map would look something like this https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing but with clickable options and all the items you have in that file. However, I have to upgrade my Flash before that because my older version cannot read from files.

The downloaded file should open with your internet browser. Try either by drag'n'drop or by the "File" menu. Once opened, you can use the mouse wheel to zoom, click to center and SPACEBAR to change terrain filter.

EDIT2:

Actually, those filters are wrong. They do give an idea of what is supposed to appear on that map, but the roads are wrong when compared with my runs on TFXplorer, not sure about the water. An absolutely reliable map would require fresh and pure brewing from the game files - if you know what I mean..

Thanks Riddler, but I think I've now got all I need with the map grid system and the associate spreadsheet. To physically put more on the map other than the airbases is really not practical. As you say "...... you have a hell of job ahead of you if you're going to list all those targets and then put it in a single image ....." and is so true. I think I'll stick with what I've got. :thumbsup:

announcing the first

Update!

2013-10-25 TFXplorer 1.1.png

System Requirements:

Tested on Windows XP, 7, 8, and 8.1.

You need a Direct3D 9-compatible graphics card (ATI Radeon 9500 / Nvidia GeForce MX or higher — basically any decent GPU you bought after 2003).

Download:

https://app.box.com/s/nq75ymmleu2fbcyjvc6u

Setup:

If you have already installed an older version of TFXplorer, or if you use 3View, you can skip the following steps:

If you have Total Air War 2.0 installed, place TFXplorer x86 in the Total Air War 2.0 folder.

If you have ADF or TAW installed, place it in their PROGRAM folders.

Double-click TFXplorer x86. A console should pop up and after quick loading you'll be in the game.

Usage:

In-Game:

• Plane controls are just like TAW's (but the physics are a little different).
  • Use the mouse to look around you, and F1 to reset the view. Mouse wheel zooms in and out.
  • P pauses the game.
  • SHIFT+S cycles the time of day. N toggles night vision at night.
  • SHIFT+Q quits the game or switches to explorer mode.
  • SHIFT+T toggles time warp.

You can switch to explorer mode via SHIFT+Q; X:

• Press the left mouse button to move forward.
  • SHIFT+S cycles the time of day. N toggles night vision at night.
  • F1 toggles wireframe rendering.
  • F2 takes a screenshot and saves it as a bitmap with a reconnaissance-like look.
  • F3 switches from Glide to Direct3D and vice versa (only important for developers).
  • F4 toggles target names.
  • F5 brings you back to in-game mode.
  • Repeatedly press S to increase viewing range, or X to decrease.
  • NUMPAD 6, 2, 4, and 8 glide north, south, west, and east.

TFXplorer is compatible to Super EF2000, but supports explorer mode only. You can place it in the same location as any supported DID.DAT.

64-Bit Version (it's faster!):

The 64-bit version requires Windows Vista or later; you'll also need the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 (x64). All else is the same.

Download: https://app.box.com/s/ugo20lue8db5ejdsi4sy

Changes:

• In-Game Mode:
    • view is more like TAW's
    • added full throttle on numpad *
    • engines can now be switched on and off
    • engines have spin-up and spin-down time
    • yaw on , and .
    • screen savers and hibernation are suppressed while the game is running
    • the game will automatically pause when it loses focus or when forced to hibernation
    • removed all controls which are not in TAW, too (use editor mode to adjust viewing range, to glide over the map, for wireframe, etc.)
    • fixed F1 not resetting zoom
  • Explorer Mode:
    • pressing F2 in explorer mode allows to save reconnaissance screenshots
    • left mouse button accelerates gently
    • limited yaw (you cannot stand upside down any more)
    • same controls in TFX2 mode and TFX3 mode
    • renamed "123W 123N" to "123E 123N" (because the numbers ascend to east, not to west)
    • added compass
    • added contrast to place names
    • removed the keys for unknown flags
    • fixed scrolling speed (should be 10 seconds end-to-end on all systems now)
  • Graphics:
    • more objects than before may be visible now
    • now supports 512×256 and 512×512 true-color textures
    • text is scaled at high resolution (if the hardware supports it)
    • fixed invalid level of detail for some objects
    • fixed blank screen after CTRL+ALT+DEL on Vista or later
    • fixed HUD alignment
    • major performance improvements
  • Input:
    • now supports mapping and naming of DirectInput axes and buttons
    • now considers calibrated center of axes
    • now honors preferred joystick
    • now supports high-resolution mouses
    • fixed a bug where some axes or buttons would not be recognized
    • fixed input leaks
    • fixed a minor keyboard throttle issue
    • fixed minor bugs with text output
    • minor performance improvements
  • renamed "AGP on/off" to "version Glide/Direct3D"
  • reduced console output
  • resized console to match TAW 2.0 output
  • fixed wrong version in title bar
  • fixed SSE detection
  • major performance improvements

Have fun :) And again: if you run into any problems, or if you have suggestions, let me know here!

Great job Krycztij. :icon_salute3:

One suggestion? On Post #1, point (ie. give link) to Post #44 which is far more comprehensive in detailing changes than Post #1. Just a thought. ;)

One suggestion? On Post #1, point (ie. give link) to Post #44 which is far more comprehensive in detailing changes than Post #1. Just a thought. ;)

Done :thumbsup:

It's been three years since the last TFXplorer release. There have been so much changes, it’s like an entirely different program. I'd love to release an update, but there is one ugly freakin' blocking bug and real life just doesn’t give me time to fix it. (It’s a bug that makes your plane explode randomly, so it really is the worst of its sort.)

Anyway … here’s some images from last year with MFD improvements. We now have IRST (it even looks a little like real infrared), moving map, artificial horizon, fuel indicator. 

2016-01-29 displays.png

Betty is in as well.

As you could see on earlier screenshots, civilian planes and cargo ships cross your way from time to time. They don’t show up on your radar yet, and there is no interaction possible beyond shooting them, but it’s a first step. I put some efford into the contrails:

2015-11-26 contrails.gif

Sadly, these things still cause program crashes from time to time.

You can also play the Shilka, including off-road racing and blowing up buildings with its powerful cannons:

2015-06-05 ZSU-23-4.gif

(Debug markers on simulated suspension is visible here.)

Both the F-22 and the Shilka are not hard-coded into TFXplorer but designed as plugins. Basically, every programmer can create their own vehicle and add it to the game. However, the interface still needs lots of fine tuning, especially regarding game physics (it makes your plane explode randomly ;) ).

I hope to get some spare time next year in order to fix the worst bugs.

Looking great!  :icon_bow: ...and next year is only about 10 weeks away. :D

Ten weeks can be a long time :) Announcing the second

UPDATE!

59b38b5701647_1teaser.png.2623742dd20c4ebf1478407b980dfe84.png

… which turns TFXplorer into a TAW clone.

System Requirements:

Requires Air Dominance Fighter, Total Air War, Total Air War 2.0, or Super EF2000 installed.

I personally tested it on Windows 7 only, but it should work on Windows XP, Vista, and 10 as well.

You need a Direct3D 9-compatible graphics card (ATI Radeon 9500 / Nvidia GeForce MX or higher — basically any decent GPU you bought after 2003).

Download:

https://app.box.com/s/1f8sw293hh7h8f12qfx8abhwbf2qiu4h

Setup:

If you have already installed an older version of TFXplorer, or if you use 3View, you can skip the following step:

• If you have not already installed the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010), get them here. Otherwise, TFXplorer will not start due to D3DX9_43.DLL and other files missing.

If you have Total Air War 2.0 installed, copy TFXplorer x86 and the UAW folder to the Total Air War 2.0 folder. If you have ADF, TAW or Super EF2000 installed, copy them to ADF/TAW/EF2000’s PROGRAM folder.

Double-click TFXplorer x86. The splash screen should appear.

Usage:

In-Game:

• plane controls are just like TAW's
  • ALT+ENTER toggles full-screen/windowed mode
  • SHIFT+Q quits the game or switches to explorer mode

You can switch to explorer mode via SHIFT+Q; X:

• press the left mouse button to move forward
  • SHIFT+S cycles the time of day; N toggles night vision at night
  • F1 toggles wireframe rendering
  • F2 takes a screenshot and saves it as a bitmap with a reconnaissance-like look
  • F3 switches from Glide to Direct3D and vice versa (only important for developers)
  • F4 toggles target names
  • F5 brings you back to in-game mode
  • repeatedly press S to increase range of sight, or X to decrease
  • NUMPAD 6, 2, 4, and 8 glide north, south, west, and east
  • NUMPAD 5 and CTRL+NUMPAD 5 glide up/down

64-bit Version (it's faster!):

Requires Windows Vista or later. Download: https://app.box.com/s/6lvmsbpyfi6swwz7awifd9ds712lgyom

Changes:

• Total Air War’s F-22 physics!
    • We ported TAW’s aerodynamics & flight controls to TFXplorer and improved them:
      • enabled wind (currently restricted to constant 7 kt from South)
      • thrust was too low in TAW
      • mileage per gal was too high in TAW
      • control surfaces & thrust vectoring can now be tested before takeoff
      • center of mass & moment of inertia are now affected by weapon load (TAW considers fuel only) (weapon load is currently fixed)
      • minor bug fixes
    • HUD overhaul:
      • realistic layout
      • realistic graphics
      • restricted to NAV HUD in this release
    • Sound effects & Bitchin’ Betty:
      • enabled some hidden SFX from ADF/TAW
        • engine startup sound
        • speed brake warning
        • landing gear damage
    • Animated MFDs:
      • HD graphics
      • moving map without glitches!
      • can be viewed via NUMPAD (just like TAW’s)
      • no clickable buttons yet in this release
    • Realistic landing gear:
      • state of the art physics
      • many improvements over TAW’s taxiing
      • you can start, land, and taxi on slopes
    • 59b38b58e50bf_2HUD.png.a21cb0c018b4b0fe65b8ac0e471cc5af.png

• Game Physics!
    • added cannon to F-22
    • added explosions
    • added debris
    • buildings can now be destroyed (currently extra fragile because cannon is the only weapon)
    • planes now explode when crashing into the ground
    • added windsock animation
    • fixed bullets flying through terrain seams
      59b38b5bc5fde_3explosion.png.2fcddfd9128b115bdb93b7f0602d686c.png

• EF2000 Compatibility!
    All features from ADF/TAW mode are available in Super EF2000 mode as well:
    • in-game mode, SmartView, …
    • civil planes and cargo ships
    • F-22 can be flown with EF2000’s visuals
      59b38b5e026a2_4EF2000.png.aeed3e5fbc96bbe2beb365546dc13357.png

• Hidden Levels!
    • now loading TAW’s hidden Seaworld level (details in GAME.CFG section below)
    • now loading Super EF2000’s hidden levels (Libya, Korea, Iceland, … – details in GAME.CFG section below)
      59b38b5fe8894_5Libya.png.3143a4443f993ee83d350db1a2875ca9.png

• GAME.CFG
    now supporting standard switches:
    • CAMOUFLAGE
      • =0 → (default) F-22 prototype paint scheme
      • =1 → F-22 paint scheme
      • =2 → Saudi F-22 paint scheme
      • =3 → green F-22 camo
    • CONTROL
      • =0 → force keyboard controls even if a joystick is attached
      • =1  (default) use joystick if attached; use keyboard otherwise
    • QUICKMFD
      • =0 → (default) smooth camera movements (you should try this)
      • =1 → direct camera movements
    • UPDATE_MFDS
      • =0 → do not update MFDs in real-time (currently disables MFDs entirely)
      • =1 → (default) display MFDs and update in real-time
    • UNLIMITED_AMMO
      • =0 → (default) cannon ammo is limited
      • =1 → cannon ammo is unlimited
  • as well as extended switches for level selection:
    • SEAWORLD (in TAW mode only)
      • =0 → (default) lauch the Red Sea level
      • =1 → launch the hidden Seaworld level
    • LEVEL (in Super EF2000 mode only)
      • =Angola.lev → launch the hidden Angola level
      • =Craig.lev → launch a hidden Norway-ish level
      • =Hasbro.lev → launch a hidden Norway-ish level
      • =Iceland.lev → launch the hidden Iceland level
      • =Korea.lev → launch the hidden Korea level
      • =Libya.lev  launch the hidden Libya level
      • =Martin.lev → launch a hidden Norway-ish level
      • =Norway.4ev → (default) launch the Norway level
      • =Wales.lev → launch the hidden Wales level

• Sound Effects!
    • disabled if XAudio 2 is not available; please report any problems

• Improved Keyboard & Joystick Controls!
    • added support for axis remapping
    • plane controls are now independent from keyboard layout
    • controls are now uniform for EF2000 & TAW
    • axes now react non-linear (like TAW’s)
    • added nose view (2× F1)
    • added chase view (F7)
    • added MFD views (NUMPAD keys)
    • added open/close canopy on I (graphics error is known)
    • added open/close weapons bays on O, CTRL+O, SHIFT+O
    • added up/down on NUM5 and CTRL+NUM5 in explorer mode
    • fixed hat switches
    • fixed slider not being calibrated
    • fixed dead zones
    • fixed keyboard input during "Save As" dialog
    • fixed input problem when losing focus

• Improved graphics!
    • added full-screen mode on ALT+ENTER
    • added new sky with realistic stars (sky color now changes with altitude)
    • increased range of sight
    • F-22 canopy in ADF/TAW is now reflecting
    • improved explosions in Glide mode
    • improved afterburner looks
    • fixed crash at Khamis Mushayt at night
    • fixed various transparency issues
    • fixed black sky in external view
    • fixed afterburner shock diamonds
    • fixed sprite rotation
    • fixed transparency in 16-KiB raw textures
    • fixed white level
    • fixed text disappearing at top and left screen edges
    • fixed distant buildings sometimes being transparent
    • fixed a rare graphics error where disks would be colored wrong
    • fixed a performance problem with texture portions
      59b38b61d0862_6graphics.png.a1a186adc7a57118d61d540e43972991.png

• SmartView! (currently of little to no use)
    • select a unit via F12
    • hit ENTER to take over control
      59b38b6518b80_7SmartView.png.03950aa1621ab57c305eb400a95608d4.png

• etc:
    • added splash screen
    • added icon
    • removed text in lower left corner from snapshots
    • quit screen can now be cancelled via ESC
    • moved Gonder spawn point closer to TAW’s
    • mouse cursor is now hidden while not needed
    • improved performance (especially during time warp)
    • reduced memory footprint
    • reduced memory demand and texture load
    • fixed console covering main window on startup
    • fixed a memory leak in snapshots
    • paused and SmartView text is now more like TAW’s

If you encounter any problems, please report them here.

Thanks again to mikew and DrKevDog for the great help!