COMBATSIM Forum
Wombat1940

Wombat joins Arma2 - OA

Thanks you yesterday boys (ie. Eugene, Kramer, Neph and Wingy). :thumbsup: Nice to join "the Team" even though I wasn't much help. Maybe just let me drive the re-fuel truck next time. No "Goofer Book" problems then. :rofl:

On a more serious note: I was notified this morning that I had been "Shaped". That means that I'm max'd out to 64k upload and download speeds until the 28th of this month. :( That's why it took so bloody long for me to d/l that last mission! So I either have to wait 'til the 28th or buy some Gb's.

I know .... I know ..... I hear you say "Errrr, Wombat? .......... maybe wait 'til the 28th ....... ". But I know you're

joking and you all want me back .......... So I'll "fork out the $'s" ....... no expense spared ....... just for "The Team". :P

Hopefully being "unshaped" should improve my in-game d/l, u/l and Ping speeds.

Well Hi Wombat I am in.. ;)

It was a blast we all had fun glad you where aboard..With this shaping business isnt there a unlimited plan or something you can get or some other way if increasing the amount you currently get?? it seems whatever you have know is not enough..

Well Hi Wombat I am in.. ;)

It was a blast we all had fun glad you where aboard..With this shaping business isnt there a unlimited plan or something you can get or some other way if increasing the amount you currently get?? it seems whatever you have know is not enough..

Hi Neph. Glad you found this forum ...... ;)

There are Plans, but because I'm away for 3 months (Bali), where I don't use any Australian service, I need to use a flexible plan: shut it down for 3 mths, adjust it other times. I just got caught this time by using my mobile monthly plan (being away from my PC ADSL2 service) but it'll be fixed at mid-night tonight. :thumbsup:

Bigpond_zpsafc08474.png

Mind you ...... I won't be d/l any "Addons" with this IP. [i have the one's you sent me ...... thanks]. I have them all at home on my PC. Just have to wait........

rgr np.. when you getting more bandwidth tonight at 12am??

ye ....

Thanks for today boys/Neph. (Maybe only Neph read this forum/thread?). You were so close! And to be beaten by the software/hardware rather than the game ....... :( I don't include myself in that. Too busy trying to fix TS3 and the multiplay link. As soon as I joined in MP, TS3 it would drop out! I'd restart TS3 and MP again and get different connection speeds ranging from 250ms to 1000ms. I had actually made it close to that red building (I think where Eugene got). I was prone, had 2 goons in my sights, pulled the trigger and ..................... nothing! Host/hosting had gone down. :angry: First time I'd really seen anyone other than you guys onboard ship! :lol:

In regard to TS3 and difficulyt in me communicating. Id like to sought that out before we jump in. Its too hard for all of us otherwise. My Notebook mic and speakers should be fine. Its perfect with Skype. No echo, no breaking up, video up and running. So it should be as good with TS3. Well ..... I think so. I'll join early and have a one on one to test it. Thanks.

Its very obvious to all: my skills are very limited, my understanding of weapons the same and I'm very little use I'm afraid. :shrug:

To be any value I think I need to be given a specific role with specific weapons. Even if its just supplying Wingie with MAAS ammo. You can make it back to the ship without having to die. I could run around supplying ammo to you guys. However, I don't want to be just be a Medic Unless I can be an armed Medic. If I was told what weapons I should to carry (like Wingie told me one day) I could practice with those in SP. I'd then become competent in at least somethng. :rolleyes:

All of the above suggestions are not just for today's mission, but other missions as well. What do you think?

Irrespective, would you please list a good general purpose weapon cache for me. The choice in the boxes is so huge its hard to know what to pick. :huh: You all must have your favorites ..... ;) Like Wingie with the MAAS .... :P

ie.

A rifle or rifles with the best specific selection of attachments?

A secondary weapon or weapons?

Critical basic skills I must be able to do without even thinking? Like extracting weapons from the boxes.

Anything else but not a long list. I can build on the basics.

Thanks

ell the Weapons are so varried in each mission it is hard to say train with so and so as you never know what weapon you will have..

But for you I would reccomend a TWS Scope It is infared and easy to spot people.. altho sometimes like you seen with me you end up shooting a friendly..

The reason that happens is if you hesitate to long as to id the guy you end up dead or wounded and then dead.. So there really is not much time to id the target..

WE sometimes have the Holo weapon with a red dot for a Sight.. it would benefit just getting in some missions and learn how to spot the enemy that is most important as if you dont know where they are having to know how to use the sight is pointless.. I would just goto some missions and get practice in spotting the enemy with any weapon..

But some goood weapons are a weapon with the ACOG sight or a TWS Sight..after a while or if you have a laser range finder you can get an idea where to look at through the sight.. most sights are set at 300m some you can change the range of the sight.

I am so lethal as practice and learning from your mistakes..I guess I have a good understanding of the basics and put them to practise. Plus since I been playing so long in trying things that worked and what doesnt..

Plus the reason I do so well in that one mision we played last night I have an advantage in seeing the enmy easier..Plus I think since it is realtively closr range then most missions.. Plus most are not running which makes it easier to shoot..

Remember lead your targets and if using a regular scope like an ACOG try and learn to see where the Last shot landed that way you can have a more educated guess and where to aim your scope.. If you are NOT seeing your Shots hit that makes it harder to hit the target.. if you look carefully when you shoot a target you can most time see where the bullet hit.. then correct accordingly that is my secret in aiming..

If I can before we start firing get a target distance to know where to aim with your sight is a big help instead of just blindly firing and having know idea where to aim your sight..

So if you want Wombat start with a Holo sight like an MK17 Holo.. I think in the Armory you can learn about the different weapons but most time we can suggest a weapon for you before we start if we have crates to select different missions..

Goto the range and start practicing..

ell the Weapons are so varried in each mission it is hard to say train with so and so as you never know what weapon you will have..

But for you I would reccomend a TWS Scope It is infared and easy to spot people.. altho sometimes like you seen with me you end up shooting a friendly..

The reason that happens is if you hesitate to long as to id the guy you end up dead or wounded and then dead.. So there really is not much time to id the target..

WE sometimes have the Holo weapon with a red dot for a Sight.. it would benefit just getting in some missions and learn how to spot the enemy that is most important as if you dont know where they are having to know how to use the sight is pointless.. I would just goto some missions and get practice in spotting the enemy with any weapon..

But some goood weapons are a weapon with the ACOG sight or a TWS Sight..after a while or if you have a laser range finder you can get an idea where to look at through the sight.. most sights are set at 300m some you can change the range of the sight.

I am so lethal as practice and learning from your mistakes..I guess I have a good understanding of the basics and put them to practise. Plus since I been playing so long in trying things that worked and what doesnt..

Plus the reason I do so well in that one mision we played last night I have an advantage in seeing the enmy easier..Plus I think since it is realtively closr range then most missions.. Plus most are not running which makes it easier to shoot..

Remember lead your targets and if using a regular scope like an ACOG try and learn to see where the Last shot landed that way you can have a more educated guess and where to aim your scope.. If you are NOT seeing your Shots hit that makes it harder to hit the target.. if you look carefully when you shoot a target you can most time see where the bullet hit.. then correct accordingly that is my secret in aiming..

If I can before we start firing get a target distance to know where to aim with your sight is a big help instead of just blindly firing and having know idea where to aim your sight..

So if you want Wombat start with a Holo sight like an MK17 Holo.. I think in the Armory you can learn about the different weapons but most time we can suggest a weapon for you before we start if we have crates to select different missions..

Goto the range and start practicing..

Thanks Neph. All points helpful. I know I might train with a weapon that is unavailable in a mission, but I have to start somewhere.

As a start I've been having a look at:

Rifle+

M16A4 M203 ACOG (good sight + grenade launcher)

M16 CQC Holo

M24 Desert (sniper use)

I'll now add the TWS sight and the M17 as you recommend.

Machine Gun

MP5A5

M249 SAW

Secondary Weapon

MAAS (Wingy's favorite .....)

Anything else you can suggest?

I've just completed the the SP Mission "Trial by Fire". Its a good starting point. Few pointers along the way and other than a bloody mobile machine gunner (AI bossman calls in a chopper to knock over) quite do-able. I even got a couple of kills, acted as a medic, and got treated myself for a minor scratch. :P

Right ......... off to the Armory for practice on the above. Wish me luck.

PS: I need to get Eugene, Wingy, Kramer, etc over to this thread. Not fair just you carrying the can for the others ...... ;) They have lots of good ideas in missions. Just need for them to share them with me at this thread. :icon_rock:

arma2OA_zps278b8d91.jpg

Silent Rescue

This recon. shot was made by Private Wombat at great personal danger. Needless to say he then forgot to open his parachute ....... :spank:

The gridlines have been only roughly added to help with location identification.

First question: which are the three red buildings? :shrug:

Maybe be clearer to see with this shot. Although some of you must know it better than the back of your hand. :rolleyes:

EDIT 2: shot removed. Its not really any better.

EDIT 1:

Here's the first shilka (I think) in the foreground, but where's the second?

arma2OA2013-02-1522-55-32-71_zpsa757b875.jpg

I think this is the building where the satellite phone(s) are in. Its at B6 grid reference.

arma2a_zpsb6d23a54.jpg

This is one of the special observation post. It has full 360 degree viewing and is providing constant surveillance. I think its a SR special.

arma2OA2013-02-1601-26-32-29_zpsd1a22c2b.jpg

ther red building are in grid E5 and G7.. the hostage could be in any of the question mark looking at the map.. the other shilka is in grid D7..

We cam so close last night Kramer should have just ran out the back to the south near the beach..

Yup, we did come very close. I believe our mad dog killer got the sat com commander, thus no helo's came to bother us. Hostage buildings are on the south side, while the sat com buildings are on the north. I think the red brick one across from the sand bag bunker at B6 upper left corner.

Good screen shots there Wombat! Yes, failing to open that chute will leave a mark!

Shilka positions we know the east and west ones the middele one is approx D7 between the barricks bldg and large metal structure. At least thats where I killed one before. Last night I did find several holes in the fence line to the west of the road leading into the base (from a position looking south into the base).

Weapons, I like MK17 SD as it is slienced. It takes AI longer to spot your location, but not by much. Neph had a good idea for you using one with TWS scope. Will assist you finding the bad guys and make sure it is a SD version. Set the zeroing to 300 and leave it there. Correct your aim on the go. Other than loading the weapon (I forgot twice last night) first thing I do still on the carrier is set the zero to 300 and off I go.

Keep in mind we've been playing this mission for 3 weeks or longer and haven't beat it yet. It has a strong learning curve, so keep your patience your comming along fine.

Wingy

Thanks for the tips and info. Neph and Wingy. I'm getting better ...... but long way to go however.

@Neph

In regard to the second Silka I thought it was at A5. So thanks for that. Major Gen. Battie wants me to go and recon. the West end of the runway ...... again! :rolleyes: But the screenshot above shows him its the Surveillance Post not the Shilka.

I thought there were 3 red buildings?

@WingNuts

That location for the Sat. Com. Bld at B6 is the one shown in my recon. shot in my post#11 and we both independently agree its the one at B6. Do we have anything in the weapons crates which can take the building out? As you can see I can get there as an unarmed Medic, so its accessable. I had not been detected up to that this point. Maybe that's the third red brick building?

Ye ........ further confirmation that the second Shilka is at D7. Not that I doubted you both. :P I'll tell Battie ...... :lol:

I'm taking an M17 TWS SD because it uses that great Scope together with a MAAWS. (At your suggestion I think.) The other thing is it pays to join as an Engineer + Explosion Marine: you can carry more MAAS rockets. There are two spots for this type of marine so, IMHO, you should always take one spot being the MAAWS expert. The rest of us will fight for the other spot. :lol: No ....... just don't tell the others and then its mine. :dancinguy:

Just on that TWS: does it eventually lock in to a single mode for the three modes avaiable?

@Kramer

Love your lateral thinking mate. :thumbsup: Never worried throwing up any idea. Sometimes from "stupid" suggestions come great and successful ideas. I'm full of the stupid suggestions .......... :rolleyes: like why don't we tunnel our way in, total cocealed? No? ....... maybe move from building to building (empty of course), have a spotter watching to advise when to move, ....... or maybe we can run down concrete pipes? ......... Oh shut up Wombat! :blush:........ Leave the creative thinking to Kramer and Eugene.

@Neph, @Wingy, @Eugene, @Kramer, @Recluse and others.

I've been doing the recon missions as an unarmed Medic. I'm sure all below is known but this is what I've found.

I browsed for advice on Arma2 - Silent Rescue Mission (SRM). There were a couple of very good U-tube clips by the maker of the mission. From what he says, there's no doubt that its been written as a stealth miision. A very hard one. It shows the importance of concealing any enemy you kill so that others won't find them and then your detected and all shit breaks loose. However, I can't get close to anything without being detected. It shows where your been detected on the Map and that's why I like the woods at 8C. it doesn't seem to get patrolled. I can lie down and pick them off goons and defend my position. However in the woods on the South side at G4, it seems to be patrolled.

Tried to drive a truck into the compound but I don't think they liked my uniform. :lol:

I don't think I'm going to browse the internet anymore; for tips on how to successfully complete the SRM. It spoils the fun. Bit like reading a walkthru and then kicking yourself afterwards for missing something.

However, I like what we're doing: blast the shit out of them! Image if we are successful with this strategy. We'll have bragging rights at every Arma Forum worldwide. :woohoo:

Communique for Private Wombat from Major General Battie:

In regard to Silent Rescue Mission (SRM).

Battie: "Wombat?"

Wombat: "Yes Sir!" :icon_salute3:

Battie: "READ THE FRIGGING MISSION BRIEFING: TASK OBJECTIVES AND NOTES!!!!!!"

Wombat: "Sir?" :huh:

Battie: "Oh for crying out loud, HERE!!!"

Wombat: "Yes Sir!" :sofa1:

arma2OA2013-02-1613-30-45-65_zps50faf73f.jpg

All joking aside, this is mandatory reading, but I'm sure it has been read by all others here. Ye? ........ Well I certainly hope so. ;)

By God ........ this is a great mission! I "dips my lid to you sir!" :icon_bow:

I loaded the mission and did some recon looking for the sat com guy. Well, I observed him walking around for a while (he is the only guy with a ball cap, ear piece and boom mic and actually enters buildings). I lost it and for giggles put two into him. Well even though I took him down I had a helo within 2 minutes. What's up with that? He's supposed to be the only guy able to use the sat phone. I guess we have to take control and hack it to keep them from getting reinforcement.

Wingy

Hmmmmm ..... need to read the briefing notes again.

"Once the satellite phone is neutralize we can use it to call the ........ "

I think killing the keeper of the phone may not be enough.

"He only gets into the building where the phone is". Which means no one else can use it if he's dead.

So why the choppers? ........... Strange .......

Were you only sprung after you killed him?

EDIT 1

I didn't see the guy with the mic. We also know he carries a rifle. The only guy I see, other than the solders, is unarmed and wears sunglasses. I think he's the one with the documents. Is the bloke you saw at or near the building identified in post #11?

EDIT 2

I note that when I click on the three possible locations for the phone (ie. 1, 2 and 3); 1 lights up orange even when I select 2 or 3 first. (ie 1, 2, 3) Is that a hint for a novice player? It does similar when I view the the three locations for the hostage (ie. here, here, here)

Wombat, keep watching building 1. The guy is wearing a soft cover hat. He's the only one that wears it, all others have battle helmet except for the sunglasses guy with no cover at all. You have to look close for the ear piece and boom mic. I still think we need to take him out 1st. He does stop for a brief moment on the second floor of building 1 where I have a shot. I killed him outside by the bunker when I was experimenting.

Wingy

Wombat, keep watching building 1. The guy is wearing a soft cover hat. He's the only one that wears it, all others have battle helmet except for the sunglasses guy with no cover at all. You have to look close for the ear piece and boom mic. I still think we need to take him out 1st. He does stop for a brief moment on the second floor of building 1 where I have a shot. I killed him outside by the bunker when I was experimenting.

Wingy

:thumbsup: I actual ran in there last night. I was movng forward in a crouched position, and clearly heard someone speak on my immediate right. Close. Very close. I was heading down the slope with the building clearly in view. Dropped prone and looked right. Two goons within 20 yds walking up the hill and past me. :superscare: We just didn't see each other. They were busy chatting, I was head down moving forward. I don't believe it was a game glitch, but rather just tree shielding. I had not been detected at this stage so my assumption that the northern slopes are not patrolled is wrong. :( I wonder if you shot him in the building (using SD) whether he'd be discovered and thus set the alarm off? In a stealth attack they do suggest hide the dead. I recon with help you could get into that building undiscovered. It seems the only way to access the sat. phone. Interesting that Kramer got into the hostage room twice undetected. Must find out his technique. :lol:

I'll go and recon. Bld 1 again. I'll need a SD weapon so I can't be the Medic.

PS. Your reference to Building 1, does match my earlier comment:

"....... I note that when I click on the three possible locations for the phone (ie. 1, 2 and 3); 1 lights up orange even when I select 2 or 3 first. (ie 1, 2, 3) Is that a hint for a novice player? ....... "

Could be coincidences.

Nope ........ don't see him. :( I was watching for 20 minutes. I had that heat sensitive scope and a range finder. There was no evidence of anyone other than the 3 soldiers. Two without faces that move around, the other, right above the entrance, just stands there. I eventually picked him off and the alarm sounds within 5 seconds.

@ Wingy

Any chance of a screenshot of the Sat. Phone Man at his location? FRAPS works for me.

@ Wingy

Thought this was worth noting ....... again. ;)

satphone_zpsc289dae5.png

I presume "stealth" in this instance means "action unseen or observed by the enemy".

Maybe that's why knocking off the Sat Phone Man's is not sufficient to

- stop our detection?

- stop the use of the Sat Phone by others since it has not yet been hacked?

Stealth certainly works. Came up from the South and took out two baddies out with an SD near that castle thing (grid point G1 here).......... waiting ........ waiting ....... waiting ......... shit no alarm!!! Went and collected them (stealthily) by dragging and hiding then under bushes in that castle thing. Then spent the next hour getting near to the fence undetected. I then should have made my run for the hole in the fence:

arma2OA2013-02-1800-51-38-45_zps770bd150.jpg

before those couple of goons came back:

arma2OA2013-02-1800-54-30-18_zps9ebd849d.jpg

"Too late she cried!!!" and I was dog's meat. :( The number 1 hostage building is immediately to my North ..... almost ....... I'm pointing at it on the map.