COMBATSIM Forum
Wombat1940

Why the hell can't modders write proper installation instructions!!

I'm trying to install a number of recommended addons to Arma2 Combined Operation. Why do they make it so frigging hard for dumbos like me!!!

Take Panthera .....sorry @panthera ........ (what's the frigging @ for!!!!)

They write:

7. INSTALLATION

===============

Unpack folder \@duala to your ArmA2 root folder and run game with -mod=@duala parameter. :wtf:

@duala???? I thought this was @pantera!!!!

Ye, ye .... at least I know what the frigging root folder is but then "-mod=@duala parameter" what's that supposed to mean!!!!!

I went down the same track with installing DCS, which I paid for just like I have with Arma. .....

DCS is now uninstalled!!! Maybe thats what I should do with Arma!!! I come to play these games not to mod them!!!

If you think I'm pissed off; YOU'RE BLOODY RIGHT!!!!

Wombat dont worry about the -mod paramater the mods are enabled ingame now.. if you want come to TS3 Ill walk you through it..

Thanks Neph but I've found an installation reference in the @CBA Addon. Its on page 29 of the Arma2 -OA Manual and in the last sentence under "Expansions" . Even then they are only listed with the opportunity to install, but no definitive advice on how to do it.

Why can't every Addon have a standard clause included referring to "page 29"?

Why are we left to fumble around and have rely on generous offers made by you and others to fix the problem?

Sorry, but its typical of so many sims: they're not meant to help computer nerds like me. They take our money encourage player to introduce Addons (many untested) and then leave us floundering.

Just look at the box set of Arma2: it called Arma2: Combined Operations on the box, has one Arma2 CD and another CD: Arma2-OA. You can install either or both but Arma2-OA CD comes with Arma2, but its not the same as the other Arma2 (that's the one on the other CD), but if you install Arma2 first and then Arma2-OA next you get Arma2-CO. However all this is probably foreign to you as you've got the STEAM version of Arma2 which probable not the same anyway.

And as for the manuals. God help us! The cache of weapons is a mystery to me. If it wasn't for the tips I get through playing MP with boys, I'd better off using a wooden club!

At least Falcon4.0 (original) came with a 700 page manual.

As you can tell: I'm still pissed off ....... and I haven't even mentioned DCS!

On to more positive things .......

These are the Addons I have now installed:

Arma2:British Armed Forces (LITE)

Arma2:Private Military Company (LITE)

@bb_aa_mercs_v1

@FDF_Podagorsk

@McTier One

@panthera

@RH M14 1.0

@RH Pistol Pack 1.0

@RH_Hk416_1.1

@RH_Mk18

@RH_smg 1.0

@sbrodjx

@TF86SEALS1.2

@Thirsk

@duala.95

@CBA

@CBA_A2

@CBA_OA

@SimHQ_ONE

@1s91_fcr

@Shooting_Range

1s91 FCR

Arma2

Arma2 OA

I think that's the complete list you gave to me the other night.

Just a question:

At the "Expansion" window, do we need to change the order of the Addons with the UP/DOWN buttons? If so why?

Oh! Just found the "Armory". Page 27 of the OA manual. Looks very promising...... There's no wooden club listed though ..... :lol:

Sorry, Wombat. I borrowed your wooden club. I'm using it on myself right now. :spank:

Got so frustrated I have to walk away for a while to then re-engage. And my problems are at a much lower level than yours.

My sympathy to your problems and kudos for your persistence. Also thanks to all the other guys that have helped so generously.

I'm still digging. Meanwhile FS-9, 10 and WOV , (my era) are offering me some outlet.

I feel your pain as well, Wombat. Some things aren't documented because they are perceived as "second nature", though there are plenty of details in which the Devil can hide. Rather than a good readme, I would like a docuement explaining the ArmA folder structure and architecture (in particular, which folders are "nested" in mods and which folders must share original content with modded content).

well currently the instructions for these mods are outdated as they use the old -mod command line paramter..

IT is not as hard as it seems and IT would have been easier to put the modding on hold and wait till you saw me online..

Basically you make an @ folder in the Arma Folder and an addons folder in the @ Folder.. then follow Special instructions in each readme..

BUT MOST ALL Folders are going to be an @ folder in the Arma Folder.. Just some need a special bisign depending on the version of Arma you are using but NOT many did that..

here is a screenshot of the @Mods folders:

armavt.jpg

inside the @-mod folder make an "ADDONS" Folder and inside that put in the Correct .PBO and Bisign Files..

well currently the instructions for these mods are outdated as they use the old -mod command line paramter..

Just reinforces all my previous comments. :rolleyes:

IT is not as hard as it seems and IT would have been easier to put the modding on hold and wait till you saw me online..

Exactly my point:everyone shouldn't have run for personal help to install Addons. My preference would be to install no Addons and then I wouldn't need the help.

Basically you make an @ folder in the Arma Folder and an addons folder in the @ Folder.. then follow Special instructions in each readme..

To quote: "......... well currently the instructions for these mods are outdated ........". So what's the point?

BUT MOST ALL Folders are going to be an @ folder in the Arma Folder.. Just some need a special bisign depending on the version of Arma you are using but NOT many did that..

"...... special bisign/.PBO's ........" ??? No ...... don't bother telling me what these means ........ I've moved on. Addons installed. Now to ready to train.

Thanks

well the only thing outdated is the command line that is not used anymore but most of the other part of the directions are correct..

ah this might be a late reply but i have been playing arma 2 for a while and the easiest way to mod arma 2 is by using sixupdater. It is a mod manager, not too user friendly at 1st sight but it lets you download, updates, and load the game with the mods as preset so you dont need to change the parameter manually everytime you change the mods.

It will automatically detect mods you already installed and will notify you when there's a new update for it. you can get sixupdater here http://www.six-updater.net/

From the mod list that posted here that i see, i think you missed blastcore and JSRS. You already have most of the island and these 2 will make the explosions, tracers and weapon sounds more realistic.

I maybe sucks at f22 total war but kinda ok with arma 2, just holler if you wanna do coop on some of the official missions. I'll jump at any arma 2 multiplayer if i'm free.

ah this might be a late reply but i have been playing arma 2 for a while and the easiest way to mod arma 2 is by using sixupdater. It is a mod manager, not too user friendly at 1st sight but it lets you download, updates, and load the game with the mods as preset so you dont need to change the parameter manually everytime you change the mods.

It will automatically detect mods you already installed and will notify you when there's a new update for it. you can get sixupdater here http://www.six-updater.net/

From the mod list that posted here that i see, i think you missed blastcore and JSRS. You already have most of the island and these 2 will make the explosions, tracers and weapon sounds more realistic.

I maybe sucks at f22 total war but kinda ok with arma 2, just holler if you wanna do coop on some of the official missions. I'll jump at any arma 2 multiplayer if i'm free.

Thanks Gunso. Away from PC at moment, but will give it a try when I get home, which I hope will not be too soon. ;)

Thanks Gunso. Away from PC at moment, but will give it a try when I get home, which I hope will not be too soon. ;)

no problem, just ask if u need any help. But i think u can find sixupdater tutorial easily on youtube. It's pretty easy once you see how it is done.