COMBATSIM Forum
The_Nephilim

Nephilims Virtual Pit..

Hey All,

I had put a thread up at SimHQ on my Virtual Pit.. I had started it back in 2010 and I started off with 1 projector and a new PC.. The PC was a P4 3.80ghz CPU with 2 7950GT's in SLI.. with 4 gb memory..

I have some pics of it with a Watercooler on it too follow..I will show a video I did of TAW in the Maverick Training..

dscf1368.jpg

modifiedfan.jpg

dscf1307z.jpg

dscf1301.jpg

dscf1293.jpg

dscf1294y.jpg

Here is an early Incarnation of my Virtual Pit..:

I then Upgraded to Triple screens 2 years later with the same PC:

imgp1288w.jpg

imgp1286i.jpg

imgp1284m.jpg

I then Upgraded MY PC to a New Sandy Bridge i5 2500K and 2 480GTX's SLI:

imgp1708e.jpg

imgp1706r.jpg

imgp1705f.jpg

imgp1699.jpg

imgp1698w.jpg

imgp1697.jpg

I since upgraded to a Ivy Bridge CPU i5 3570K with a eVGA 660GTX Video Card with 8GB Corsair XMS Memory..

here is a video of it in almost full glory:

Hope you enjoyed my Virtual Pit and stay tuned for my New Upgrade and small facelift.. I plan on buying 3 New Acer 1261P DLP PRojectos and some wall plates to clean up my Cables I have hanging from the ceiling..

Yes it is a Labor of Love and my Dream system from years ago.. I remember the first time I saw EF2000v2.0 on a Big screen back in 1996 I was drooling.. My Friend at the time from the T.E.N Network showed me the video of it I always from that point on wanted a projector..

The T.E.N Network was a pay to play hosting site sort of like Hyperlobby but with more eye candy like you could save profiles and such messaging system and all.. that was my first voyage into the MultiPlayer world where I got schooled on the art of Dogfighting and Base Defence..

I enjoy this new setup and the fact of it this is also in 3D with NVidia 3D Vision which is like a super bonus even the military Don't have 3D..But the Fact is the F22 simulator has a half round radius of 25ft.. DROOLLLL!!!!!!

This is the next best thing. I always wanted a Real military style sim and found it with F4 BMS and DCSW. Plus TAW for the F22 best F22 sim to date.. no one has ever come close.. But I would love to see TAW Take off like F4 DID .. ;)

Well I been a big fan of Flight simulation since 1988 with my FIRST EVER Sim F-19.. I spet countless hours in that plane Stealth being my First Love..I just love Stealth the F22 Provides that in Waves..

I remember Microsofts F-117 Stealth Fighter with the Keyboard Overlay which I still have LOL!!

I am what they would call a Flight Simulator Junkie.. The good thing about that is I am willing to share what I know all you need do is A.S.K... To an old Friend ;)

dscf1169tt2.jpg

well wingy the sub is right under my desk which I still have too but that moinitor is long gone..

Well After some debating I finally bought my new Well Refurbished Projector this is the 1st out of 2 more to buy.. I had been using my dads 23" LCD Monitor Arghhh been demoted ;) The new Acer 1261P Projector should be here next Tuesday the 25th.. I can hardly wait too hook it up and see 3D Vision at 120hz That is going to be a treat and I will no longer need my Frankenstein connection.. I am debating whetehr to keep my Triplehead 2 go unit and use it for a External monitors for F4 and DCS??

OK I finally installed the wallplate Pics to follow.. I had ordered the 3 Gang Wallplate to finish the looks of it right now just the VGA Plates are there.. I did'nt realize I needed the 1, 3 gang plate as the single ones would not all fit:

1o9a.jpg

3o8z.jpg

gt1q.jpg

Well I just need to install the LAN Keystone jack and tidy up that, the LAN Plug is to the right of the VGA Plugs... then finish installing the new 120v wire for the Power to the Projectors and get the wire now hanging from the ceiling to the wall plug down below...

I will need to see If I need a Circuit Vreaker or not if so I may goto TrueValue tomorrow and get it and run the wire and get that part finished, then all I need to do is wait for the 3 gang wallplate cover I just ordered and install that to tidy it up a bit more to have a finished look..

Well I will take better pics took these with my Nephews Ipod touch..

Hi, Nephilim. I was just tooling around the Sim world looking at stuff, and I saw these incredible pics of yours, along with all the cool gear you've installed. I congratulate you on such fortitude to upgrade so beautifully, and more to the point, to know where all the wires go! I've been trying to improve my pit, but only in a minor way compared to yours, but I guess that's how it starts, eh? I was wondering whether you have any obsolete gear you might sell, such as video cards, or MBs. I'm retired at 82 on Soc Sec, and find it hard to buy higher end Vid cards, so only have a NVidia GE Force 9800 GT and an old Gigabyte AMD 7 MB. I'm in California and would be happy to pay postage from where you are. You can e-mail me if you wish. ............Cheers.....Brian.

Thnx Brian I sent you an email and Please if you post your email on Public Forums Post it like this harlow22 AT Comcast DOT net.. that way the spam bots will NOT harvest your Email so easy.. so Please correct that ASAP .. ;)

Well the ONLY thing I have left over is an old 7950GT Video card from NVidia.. which I think seen better days but it still might work but I had modded the original fan and put in an aftermarket one as the other stopped working.. I had used this card in my first couple pics you can see it SLI'd with the other 7950GT..

And the swords are from where?

I bought those decades ago from a Snap On Guy. they where made from Kershaw. it is the Kings Commemerative sword collection II..

Nice job on the wall, and congrats on getting the projector going right.

Trying to upload pixs of my new toy, but I better get a Flikker or Photobucket account first. Can't seem to do it from my desktop. Or try to create an album here?

Hey Fittop did you get your PC all functional now?? You will need to use a pic hosting site to upload the pics to then post the url here or use the pic image that will insert the link for you.. I use imageshack

Hey Fittop did you get your PC all functional now?? You will need to use a pic hosting site to upload the pics to then post the url here or use the pic image that will insert the link for you.. I use imageshack

Well I ordered the other Projector this Early morning, it is used I am hoping the bulb has some decent hours left on it. here is too hoping ;)

What resolution do you get from consumer level projectors these days?

Last time I looked, anything better than VGA was prohibitively expensive.

What resolution do you get from consumer level projectors these days?

Last time I looked, anything better than VGA was prohibitively expensive.

WEll Mike that depends on what you want to do.. for PC Graphics you can go as high as they can go but like you said it will be expensive.. Currently mine are at 1024x768 now for many that is too low, but for me it is perfect.. I think for the 3D Ones that use are NVidia certified are at 720P (1280 x 720) now you can get 1080P Projectors NON 3D for about 700bucks.. I was going to go with the 720P ones but decided against as I would need to get a new screen as well and these 1024x768 Projecotrs are a little cheaper.. Now If I run a Blu ray player on them I can get 1080P res but it is an analog connection so I would not really be able to get it too work, it might If I used the Components?? if you would like to comparison shop Projectorcentral.com has some good calculators and such.. http://www.projectorcentral.com/

Thanks. I think I'll stick with LCDs for PC use for the time being.

A 1080P projector for DVD/TV might be an idea though...

By the way, that's a great Pit you've got there. :thumbsup:

Thnx Mike I enjoy it and when I get the other 2 projectors Ill be back in the saddle ;) Just going to take some time.. well I would if you are going to consider getting a Projector to look into getting a BluRay Player DVD is ONLY 480P..

The new SSD should be getting here today.

Good News which one are they sending you?? oh and we want pics of your setup and parts list Please looking forward to seeing what you bought..

Ok, will put that up. Aside from the unrecognized hard drive, the rig is working out fine using the HDD. I'm really enjoying it. Will start downloading games to it. Hadn't done it yet since I figure I'll either have to mirror everything to the new drive or start all over again d/l to it.

OK it is all clear to me know.. If I can NOT find a DVI-D to VGA Converter @120hz I will need to get a 2nd video card and a display port to VGA Active converter..

Here is the chart with a 2nd vid card. I can use the 2 DVI-I connectors and a display port if I can not find a DVI-D to VGA Converter..

Kinda stinks but guess that is the way they designed the card.. I wish they would have used a 2nd DVI-I slot on the 1 card..

pstv.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

well turns out that the DVI-D to VGA Converter is a Bust.. it will NOT do 120hz ONLY a 60hz signal.. Looks like I need to get a 2nd video card and a 3rd projector with a Display Port to VGA Converter.. man NVidia why did you do this too me... h0sw.jpg6v8q.jpg Well I cleaned up the case wires a bit.. Wish I could find those fancy Grommets you have in your case Fittop ;)