COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

Marine UH-1s from the Vietnam War

Here are some screenshots from my just released skinpack that pays tribute to the Marine squadrons that flew the Huey in Vietnam.

Since this is a DCS module of a more modern UH-1 variant (the UH-1H), I have opted to put the flight crew in contemporary uniforms. Note the MARPAT body armor on the door gunners.

In chronological order, here is:

VMO-2 Cherry Deuce (1966)

VMO-2_zpsc18b51a1.jpg

VMO-6 Tomcats (1967)

VMO-6_zpse2325559.jpg

VMO-3 Scarface (1967)

VMO-3_zps2cec2cac.jpg

In April 1968, VMO-3 was redesignated as HML-367, and changed their paint jobs accordingly.

HML-367_1968_zps892263f7.jpg

Another shot of HML-367 with the door gunner getting into the picture.

HML-367_1968DG_zpsa751b97b.jpg

And finally, HML-367 when they returned to Vietnam in 1975 for Operation: Frequent Wind, the evacuation of Saigon.

HML-367_1975_zpseef8af9a.jpg

The skin pack requires DCS World (and the UH-1H model to fly), and is available on Combat Ace and (pending approval) the DCS File Repository.

These look good, man. One nit: no one operated Hueys in Vietnam with the cargo doors attached. (Except for those birds used to ferry the brass around, of course!) When I was a Vinh Long, I saw a couple unmarked UH-1D models with doors on. They were (supposedly) used in cross-border ops.

Jrh

Thanks, OG. The nit is due to the limitations of the 3D object, as the DCS UH-1 is still in beta. No slicks either; all have gunship hardpoints for now. I'm not sure if they'll be adding the door removal option in the future, though, since the doors can be opened from the inside and gameplay is unaffected.