Home Fries

EF2000 Reloaded

92 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have a microsoft sidewinder force feedback 2 joystick and I cannot get it to work right. If selected, as an option via the inflight settings menu, the joystick does nothing plus the aircraft keeps whirling. If the keyboard is selected instead then everything is ok. Is there any way to set my joystick corectly?

Thanks in advance

My Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick works and I'm running Win8 x64bit.

Have you selected joystick from the joystick/keyboard option from the Preference page of the Confing option in the DOSBox Main menu Config Toolbox?

Yes, I had Wombat but my settings in the dosbox configuration menu were not right. Thanks to Home Fries everything is ok now.

Just curious, manmacgr: what was the issue? This is for tracking purposes so I can come up with a general troubleshooting procedure.

Just curious, manmacgr: what was the issue? This is for tracking purposes so I can come up with a general troubleshooting procedure.

Just an aside with the Sidewinder. I am now using the "ch" option and reversing axis 3 and 4, but I couldn't get the HAT to work until I activated the "Flightstick Pro" option.

You mean in the EF2000 "Config" program, right?

From p. 13 of the Reloaded manual:

Finally, you will be asked if you have a Flightstick Pro. If your controller has a Hat Switch (and you kept the controller as “ch” in your DOSBox options), answer yes.

Not being a smart-ass. Since you're a fellow technical writer, how would you better phrase this for clarity (I probably did this section late at night).

Ah! No ..... I couldn't put it better. Its just that I hadn't looked at page 13 ....... :blush: It was just of passing interest that I fiddled with the Sidewinder following manmacgr question.

Thanks Home Fries. Will try it when I get home. I have been using Autokey and the F15, F16 and F17 keys for tracker as they don't interfere with the game keys and Tracker recognizes them even though they are not on my keyboard. I just assign a key to these F keys and autokey runs the key and sends the info to tracker.

Is it possible to get rudder pedals/brakes to work when they are not connected to the joystick/throttle?

I have the WH joystick/throttle combined as ID #1 and it seems to work fine. However, nothing I seem to do will get my CH rudder pedals/brakes to be recognized. I read that the game only sees one ID-is that correct?

I've used JoyID in conjunction with Universal Joystick Remapper. Work great in both EF2000 and TAW. I can use My HOTAS WH with Saitek Combat Pedals.

Here is the link:

http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm#JoyIDs_Utility:

http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/89279-ujr-universal-joystick-remapper-using-vjoy/

Sorry if I'm wrong, but are you Sobe from 801st? I'm Job.

The Air Dominance Project is proud to announce the release of

EF2000 Reloaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX6s-1S89Kg

Choose a Download Mirror (file size 64Mb):

EF2000_Reloaded_104_Installer.exe (GameFront)

EF2000_Reloaded_104_Installer.exe (Box.com)

EF2000_Reloaded_104_Installer.exe (MediaFire)

The heart of EF2000 Reloaded is a special version of DOSBox written by our own mikew1, with 3DFX code optimized for EF2000 and a VFX1 emulation routine that allows the use of TrackIR in Enhanced Mode.

For the first time, you can run EF2000 V2.0 for 3DFX/GFX+ in Windows XP or later, with no graphical artifacts or appreciable slowdown. Additionally, the resolution upscaling addresses the image at the 3DFX polygon level, and not at the output level, making for a much better upscaling experience. Mikew's DOSBox for EF2000 is truly the Holy Grail EF2000 fans have been waiting for!

No Air Dominance Project release is complete without a front end, and EF2000 Reloaded is no exception. EF2000 Reloaded includes a front end/launcher to accompany mikew's DOSBox for EF2000. In addition to taking care of the required DOSBox parameters and providing a GUI to customize your DOSBox Conf file, the EF2000 Launcher adds the following features:

• Supports three separate installs of EF2000 (original DOS, TACTCOM, and GFX+2).
  • Integrated multiplayer front end allows hassle free IPX emulation over TCP/IP, with a "phone book" for your friends' IPXNet servers.
  • Option to manage separate single player and multiplayer campaigns for each EF2000 install.
  • Custom Campaign Creator allows custom scenarios based on the scenarios from Strategic Command for EF2000.
  • Basic Campaign Editor allows you to adjust difficulty level, player influence, and player score.
  • Includes Super Revive by Brett Luck for in-depth campaign edits.

Notes:

• EF2000 Reloaded neither includes nor installs EF2000. You are responsible for your own EF2000 procurement and installation. Instructions on installing EF2000 V2 on 64 bit Windows are available.
  • Super EF2000 / EF2000 V2.0 for Windows 95 is not supported.
  • EF2000 Reloaded requires at least Windows XP SP3.

1 DOSBox 0.74 is an open source program written by Peter "Qbix" Veenstra, Harekiet Sjoerd, Tommy "Franskapet" Frossman, and Ulf "Finster" Wohlers. Mikew's 3DFX code was based on kekko's 3dfx Voodoo patch for DOSBox.

2 TACTCOM and GFX+ are also known as EF2000 V2.0 for DOS and EF2000 V2.0 for 3DFX respectively.

Nice job again HF!

I have one feature request if that is possible. In EF2000 V2.0 (I use DOS GFX+ version), the nation mark on EF2000 is US. Is there any way to change to UK or NATO like in the original version or SEF2000?

Not right now, but it on our list of things to do.

Not right now, but it on our list of things to do.

That is nice to hear.

Can I request additional resolution? My notebook have its native res of 1366x768.

Can I request additional resolution? My notebook have its native res of 1366x768.

The resolutions are defined in a text file called 'dosbox_res.cfg' where you installed the launcher.

When I try adding that resolution though, it doesn't show up in the choices when I run the launcher. This applies for all non-16:10 ratios.

EDIT: I needed to update the launcher on this PC. The choice is now fine.

Thanks mikew. I got it to work now. I edited dosbox_res.cfg, and the choice show up. However, the HUD font is corruptted. I solved it by enable anti-aliasing in nvidia.

Starkiller, if I set that resolution (1366x768), I notice some gaps in the HUD font. Is this the corruption that you see?

HF, the choice of resolutions I can see in the drop-down depends on which dosbox exe I have selected.

When pointing at the original dosbox-EF2000.exe, I see all resolutions in 'dosbox_res.cfg', but when I point towards a second dosbox.exe, I only see the resolutions that are exact multiples of 640x400.

Mike,

This is code for when we had fixed resolution versions of DOSBox, and the GUI would only scale to direct multiples. If you have a new EXE that you want to try, then add it to config\declare.cfg in the DOSBox EXEs line (tab delimited) and all of the resolutions will be added.

The other thing (this applies to eveybody) is that the resolution is a full combobox and not just a listbox, so you can type in the resolution of your choice and it will work. It just needs to be in the format that can be read by DOSBox.

Starkiller, if I set that resolution (1366x768), I notice some gaps in the HUD font. Is this the corruption that you see?

HF, the choice of resolutions I can see in the drop-down depends on which dosbox exe I have selected.

When pointing at the original dosbox-EF2000.exe, I see all resolutions in 'dosbox_res.cfg', but when I point towards a second dosbox.exe, I only see the resolutions that are exact multiples of 640x400.

Yes, that is the corruption I see. Using anti-aliasing in Nvidia Control Panel blur the text and help eliminate the gap. Not ideal though.

Hello :) Firstly i want say big thank you all for amazing work:) I love ef2000 and long played many years ago.

before I PM you HF on SimHQ, but you not respond, so I registered here.

I have a few questions-whether you have the source code of EF2000?
Is it possible to edit textures cockpit? have such?
The same question about the texture of the earth.
If so, maybe I could try something to improve in this regard;)
And another question-do I need to patch my version EF2000, if it is not v2.0?That is, your installer overwrites and update each version and patches for the latest 2.0?I can not verify this yet.
thnaks

No, we don't have the source code for EF2000. :(

EF2000 Reloaded is best used with the 3dfx version. It is easier to use v2.0, as everything is included on one disk, but it is also possible to use the european Tactcom versions and apply the 3dfx patch.

We haven't started modding the actual game textures yet, but it's on the list of things to do....

We haven't started modding the actual game textures yet, but it's on the list of things to do....

Ye??? :o Oh that is really good news!!! :icon_rock:

What is the format files? Bmp? Using transparency or not?Maybe you may also file responsible for explosion?

The texture and palette are in separate files. These can be combined to produce an indexed palette BMP in order to see what it looks like. The texture files are 256x192, and parts of each texture can be selected depending on what needs to be shown.

This example is from TAW, but EF2000 uses an almost identical system.

camo.jpg

Transparency is done with colour keying.

Each terrain tile consists of a 96x96 pixel texture.

Thanks mikew,I thought it was a little easier.This is very much work :( In eech is much simpler.

Thanks mikew,I thought it was a little easier.This is very much work :( In eech is much simpler.

................ but hopefully not too much work .................. :sofa1:

Hello :) Firstly i want say big thank you all for amazing work:) I love ef2000 and long played many years ago.

before I PM you HF on SimHQ, but you not respond, so I registered here.

Thanks, XIII, for the kind words. I took the weekend off and didn't see your PM until this morning. Since mikew already addressed your questions as well as I could have, I'll just add a generic "welcome to the forums".

Unfortunately, we won't be getting the source code for EF2000 anytime soon; any changes will have to be with extracted datafiles.

And yes, the DID textures are proprietary and can be difficult to make work, as it's more than just palette matching.

EF2000 supports General MIDI music (and MT-32) which produces better quality via 3rd party emulation than otherwise. However, whether the quality is meaningful is mainly personal preference. If you'd like to demo the difference, there is a dosbox binary here: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=37144. The instructions are in the post to enable high quality General MIDI which can be contrasted to the default MIDI emulation you normally hear in dosbox (via the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth device built-in to Windows). You may consider this feature in the development of EF2000 Reloaded. Thanks, -emu1