COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

EF2000 Reloaded

Hi Monster Zero is the the USA release of EF2000V2.0 Win 95 version or the earlier DOS version of EF2000 2.0..what does the box look like??

if it is this version you are golden as it has 3 seperat version on the disk:

1. EF2000 Win 95

2. EF2000 GFX+ (3DFX Version)

3. Some other forms of glide????

here is what the box looks like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EF-2000-V2-0-1Click-Windows-10-8-7-Vista-XP-Install-/231323427444?hash=item35dbf36274:g:WTQAAOSw-jhUBk5G

On 9/27/2016 at 0:28 AM, The_Nephilim said:

Hi Monster Zero is the the USA release of EF2000V2.0 Win 95 version or the earlier DOS version of EF2000 2.0..what does the box look like??

Yes, this is the box I have. So I guess I have the right version.

Do you have a step-by-step tutorial how to install this under Windows 10?

On 9/26/2016 at 7:02 PM, Home Fries said:

You should be able to install reloaded on Windows 10 with no problem.  For installing from the CD, try this link.  This link is also available from the Reloaded help menu.

Yes I have seen those instructions and they are still confusing. Which choice do I make? I don't have a dual boot system and none of the instructions mention Windows 10. That tutorial obviously predates Windows 10.

Hmmn, the instructions for Win 7/8 won't work for Win10.

So, you don't have access to a Win XP (or earlier) machine at all?
I suppose this is getting increasingly the case as time marches on...

I have not yet tried this, but it might be the solution.  I won't be able to test until next week, though.

2 hours ago, MonsterZero said:

Yes I have seen those instructions and they are still confusing. Which choice do I make? I don't have a dual boot system and none of the instructions mention Windows 10. That tutorial obviously predates Windows 10.

The article does pre-date Windows 10, but I did not realize it is obsolete.  Does Windows 10 Professional not have a Virtual PC anymore?  Also, what is confusing about the article.  I wrote it, so if something needs to be corrected please let me know.

Hi,

I installed EF2000 original so not the graphics of the video, it's normal I suppose.
Can I find the 3dfx patch on the net?
 I need an emulator?
More important problem, no joystick recognized, only the keyboard.
I have a hotas warthog, how to use it please?
If I select joystick in the original config of EF2000, my plane turns without stop (except once spat on the ground
:P)

With a joystick, you need to run the EF2000 config program. That should stop the spinning at least.

You may need to run the sound setup in the config program as well.

Are you using EF2000 Reloaded or standard Dosbox?

EF2000 Reloaded but after reading the doc, everything seems to work well.
Thanks for your help.
:thumbsup:

Hello.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find the answer.

I'm running linux so I can't use the launcher. Is it possible to use the EF2000 Reloaded but manually copying the needed files? I've got the "normal" EF2000 running in Dosbox. 

Thanks in advance.

/K

Excellent question, K.  The primary purpose of the GUI is to create a user.conf file for DosBox, so if you create your own conf you don't need the GUI, though it will mean that you need to update the conf file any time you change your multiplayer settings (i.e. client/host or changing IPs).

From the TAW Wiki, here's what you need in the conf file:

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
output=opengl

[dosbox]
memsize=48
scaler=none

[pci]
voodoo=opengl

[mixer]
rate=22050

[sblaster]
oplrate=22050

[speaker]
pcrate=22050
tandyrate=22050

[joystick]
joysticktype=ch
timed=false
swap34=true
buttonwrap=false

[ipx]
ipx=true

You can also set your resolution by putting the following entries into [sdl]:

[sdl]
windowresolution=1920x1080
fullresolution=1920x1080

Finally, put any launcher-specific stuff in [autoexec]. for example, I like to run the CD music in the background so I load a bin/cue of the EF2000 v2 CD.  Then mount your desired EF2000 folder to C and DosBox should take you to the command prompt.

[autoexec]
imgmount d H:\DiD\EF2000\EF2000_V20.cue -t iso -fs iso
mount c "h:\DiD\EF2000\EF2000_3DFX"

I'm not sure if TrackIR_Enabler.exe is compatible with Linux (or if you can install the VS12 runtime files in the !ADP\Runtime folder), but if you can use that and have TrackIR it makes EF2000 a totally new experience!

Great! Thanks for the answer. However, it seems like your need Windows to set up the 3DFX parts... Can anyone maybe arrange for me to det hold of the install directory for that?

Cheers!

/K

A good question indeed.

The 3DFX capability needs a build of Dosbox that supports it.
You have a couple of choices in Linux, either run the Windows build of Dosbox included with EF2000 Reloaded under Wine (well, it may work...) or use a native Linux build with the 3DFX patch applied.

1 hour ago, theK said:

However, it seems like your need Windows to set up the 3DFX parts...

...and yes, Windows is required (for some unknown reason) if installing the 3dfx version from the EF2000 V2.0 disk. Is that what you mean?

13 hours ago, mikew said:

...and yes, Windows is required (for some unknown reason) if installing the 3dfx version from the EF2000 V2.0 disk. Is that what you mean?

Thanks!

I understand this. However, what I'm wondering about is; if you install the EF2000 v2 plus the 3DFX patch and then moving the entire folder, would this work in dosbox? I'm almost at the point to install a windows just to try this out. :-)

/K

Yes, that's what I've done and it works fine in Dosbox. So, I have no idea why Windows is required apart from laziness by the publisher.

15 hours ago, mikew said:

Yes, that's what I've done and it works fine in Dosbox. So, I have no idea why Windows is required apart from laziness by the publisher.

Ok, so this is turning out to be quite a project... ;)

I've got a fresh install of EF2000 and the 3DFX patch. But when I try to run "GFX+" from config.exe I get the error message: "Data set not found. Check to see that the EF2000 cdrom is in the drive. 
I've mounted the .bin with "imgmount d ~/Documents/Emu/Dosbox/Iso/ef2000v2/EF2000V20.bin -t iso -fs iso" (for some reason the .cue doesn't work). 

What are your mount points? Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers!

/K

I´ve just tried to run GFX+ from config and get the same error...so that's good.

I mount the directory that your GFX+ install is in, add these 2 lines to the end of the conf file.
mount x "C:\3dfx"
x:

Then at the x prompt, I type 'config' to set up the joystick, sound etc then exit it. You should only need to do this once.
To play the game, just type 'ef2000'

This is all in Windows though, so you're breaking new ground by trying it with Linux.

Thanks. Tried it, still same problem unfortunately. I managed to see that there's an error message flickering past in a  millisecond. Something like " no pci bus detected". Does this seem familiar to anyone?

Cheers!

/K

Ahh, ok I see. I've got the standard 0.74. Could you direct me to where I can get hold on the "3dfx enabled" version? I have no problem compiling the source. 

Cheers!

/K