COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

Verdict on Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations?

As the title implies, I was wondering if the grognards on this forum have given Command a spin. From what I've seen, both the operational database and the level of detail is amazing (the Vietnam Rolling Thunder scenario has not just aircraft types, but squadrons and modexes), and the AI is reportedly top notch. It also looks like the mission editor rivals that of DCS World, and with the missions in XML format you may be able to do "manual tweaks" as an option.

I figured that you guys would be a good weather vane on this one, but from what I'm hearing it's the Harpoon 4 everybody was waiting for.

Yes, I have played it.

So what is your opinion, or do you have enough time with it yet to form one?

Not trying to put you on the spot, but you're obviously a stickler for details so I wanted to get your opinion.

From the end of the review:

This game is theoretically functional, but could easily have used six additional months for optimization and polish. As it currently stands, MNO is a hodge-podge of ideas haphazardly thrown together. It is good that MNO replicates many functions from NWAC and Harpoon3. It is too bad that they many bad ones are also duplicated while helpful ones were forgotten. Features such as the Formation Editor and Event Engine are prime examples of good ideas for functions that were poorly implemented and badly integrated. The awkwardness of the UI makes the game a chore to play instead of a pleasure. A thorough re-examination of the overall design phase might be prudent, especially considering how some features generally considered "standard" within the naval wargame genre are conspicuously missing.

Do you need something more specific? I'm finding it a chore to play instead of a pleasure due to the unpolished UI. I should be fighting the AI and not the UI.

As the title implies, I was wondering if the grognards on this forum have given Command a spin. From what I've seen, both the operational database and the level of detail is amazing (the Vietnam Rolling Thunder scenario has not just aircraft types, but squadrons and modexes), and the AI is reportedly top notch. It also looks like the mission editor rivals that of DCS World, and with the missions in XML format you may be able to do "manual tweaks" as an option.

I figured that you guys would be a good weather vane on this one, but from what I'm hearing it's the Harpoon 4 everybody was waiting for.

Command is great.

The game plays beautifully. The scenario editor offers a tremendous number of options—the two databases, one for 1946-1979 and the other for 1980-2020, are outstanding. The game does have a bit of a learning curve, but it’s no worse than Harpoon and a lot of it is just that Command does some things differently than Harpoon does. Once you get used to it (and it does not take all that long—I’ve had the game a grand total of one week) it seems perfectly natural. If you can master Harpoon, you can master Command.

One nice thing about Command is how much control you have over the amount of information you get. If you want, you can get data blocks on every unit on the screen, or you can switch it (using the Map commands) and only get data for one selected unit.

Yes, I have played it.

My apologies, Herman. I didn't see your byline on the SHQ review until now. :blush:

@Mgellis, thank you for your insights as well.

My apologies, Herman. I didn't see your byline on the SHQ review until now. :blush:

If you did not notice it, you are probably the only one. It appears as though it was the only thing noticed by many others. ;)

If you desperately need to try the game before making a purchasing decision, let me know and we can try to arrange something via remote desktop. :beer2:

No sweat, Herman, but thanks for the offer. I have so many other things going on that I wouldn't have time to invest anyway. I might put this on my Christmas list, though.

I truly enjoyed the years I spent designing scenarios for Harpoon, both HC and H3, but I've migrated to Command, and it's a game that keeps getting better and better. And there's an entire community of scenario designers writing new scenarios right and left--just in the first year, we're already close to two hundred released scenarios!

Version 1.05 of Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations has been released! It includes lots of updates and new features and its two databases (for its integrated scenario editor) each come with thousands of ships, planes, subs, facilities, etc. It's the wargame of the year! Enjoy!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3705003

The game is only worth about $20.  Give it a bit more time.  It will probably drop to that price by the end of the year.  They have held a week-long sale at 50% discount every month, since October.  It is only a matter of time before they drop it to 75%.