Skeeter

Skeeter's Pit

81 posts in this topic

By request, I'm posting a few shots of my sim pit. The seat and frame are by Volair Sim and all of the controls and instruments are by Saitek. The PC (laptop) specs that drive the rig are in my signature. The video is split into three screens by a Matrox TripleHead2Go. In these photos it's set up for civil aviation (X-Plane). For any perfectionists out there, I have since moved the throttle quadrant to the right where it belongs. I no longer use the Volair keyboard tray in civilian aviation mode, but I do use it when I'm rigged for combat (the tray rotates so the keyboard is over my lap, but right under the yoke) There might be a few hardware additions and/or upgrades down the road--we'll see.

The pilot below is my son.

Thanks,

Skeeter

P.S. -- Please ignore the surrounding mess.

volair05.jpg

volair06.jpg

volair07.jpg

volair08.jpg

volair02.jpg

volair04.jpg

I made one modification to the frame. I added these 9" long wall mounts to bring the monitors closer to my aging eyes. The Volair Sim frame handles the strain without any problem. I am very impressed with the quality of the Volair Sim overall.

volair09.jpg

That is really nice!!! :thumbsup: And dig the chair!

Now for me to post my setup rig .......... errrrr ......... camera's broken thank God ......... it would be embarrassing ..... :lol:

I made one modification to the frame. I added these 9" long wall mounts to bring the monitors closer to my aging eyes. The Volair Sim frame handles the strain without any problem. I am very impressed with the quality of the Volair Sim overall.

volair09.jpg

@ Neph

Metal support frame. Maybe aluminum? Nice. Maybe pricey to buy, but could be fabricated .... just a thought ....

@ Neph

Metal support frame. Maybe aluminum? Nice. Maybe pricey to buy, but could be fabricated .... just a thought ....

Yes I thought of some aluminum framing. ut I would need to rent a aluminum Wleder to fabricate it so I am not sure about that....

Very Nice Skeeter looks very cool I like the radio stack and your entire setup is cool.. ;)

Yes I thought of some aluminum framing. ut I would need to rent a aluminum Wleder to fabricate it so I am not sure about that....

Alum welding not easy to do. Normally has to be gas protected. With the right section selection, it could be bolted or riveted. Harder to design, but easier to do for non-welders.

Alum welding not easy to do. Normally has to be gas protected. With the right section selection, it could be bolted or riveted. Harder to design, but easier to do for non-welders.

Well good thing I am a Welder and know how to weld aluminum.. ;) Yes it needs 100% Argon gas to shield it.. I could bolt some of it but most of will need to be welded to hold the bend..

Oh! Sorry I forgotten you were a trady. :lol: I'm good at the theory, but hopeless at the prac. Well, with welding that is. Should be a "piece of p***" for you, if you can get the welder. You could even do it in steel and arc weld it. Heavy, but very strong.

Well I have a little 110v MIG welder but like you mentioned that would be pretty heavy.. it is going to be aluminum or wood or a combo of both..

@Wombat & Neph -- Thanks for your comments. And Wombat, I'm sure your setup is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Skeeter

Sweet setup, Skeeter. I like the Saitek panels, though I wish Saitek released a SDK that would allow their use in other programs.

There's a guy who wrote a lua script to get them working with DCS, but it's only one way communication (buttons, not displays).

@Wombat & Neph -- Thanks for your comments. And Wombat, I'm sure your setup is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Skeeter

:blush: :blush: :blush:

gear2_zpsd87b72b6.jpg

ohh nice pc I see there hiding in the corner .. looks good wombat nice HOTAS..... no mouse pad??

@Wombat, is there an acoustic modem that goes next to that phone? :lol:

Sorry, just had to get one in... :icon_salute3:

/smartass off

@Wombat, is there an acoustic modem that goes next to that phone? :lol:

Sorry, just had to get one in... :icon_salute3:

/smartass off

:lol:

ohh nice pc I see there hiding in the corner .. looks good wombat nice HOTAS..... no mouse pad??

I have a mouse ball ......

P1070288_zpsf6f7feeb.jpg

.....but never used it. [Please don't tell HF ......]. I bought it to use with FalconBMS but really don't want to move away from TAW2.0. And as for the TM MFD's I bought ..... less said the better ....... Trouble is I have more money than sense. :lol:

Still in it's box Oh mY ;)

Sweet setup, Skeeter. I like the Saitek panels, though I wish Saitek released a SDK that would allow their use in other programs.

There's a guy who wrote a lua script to get them working with DCS, but it's only one way communication (buttons, not displays).

Thanks Home Fries. I do like the Saitek panels and instruments, and they were very easy to integrate into X-Plane. I agree--it would be great to get some functionality with DCS as well.

The next upgrade is on it's way--a pair of Cougar MFDs. I figured out how to put the A-10 MFDs on the laptop monitor while running DCS on a second, but single, monitor. Next I'll work out the size and positioning needed so they'll line up with the Cougar MFD button panels. Working all of this out for the triple-monitor system will take a little trial-and-error, I think, but should be fairly easy to do.

Skeeter

I have a mouse ball ......

.....but never used it. [Please don't tell HF ......]. I bought it to use with FalconBMS but really don't want to move away from TAW2.0. And as for the TM MFD's I bought ..... less said the better ....... Trouble is I have more money than sense. :lol:

I saw that! :grrr:

But seriously, the whole point for the trackball is to put it next to the throttle so you don't have to take your hand off the stick to use it. Since you have no room by your throttle, this is understandable. Now the MFDs, on the other hand, aren't a waste at all. You can program them with TARGET, and my TARGET profiles for TAW and EF2000 make very good use of the MFDs.

Now, I know this isn't anything you haven't seen before, but at least it hasn't been seen in my pit before. This was a trial run to see how things work, and the Cougar MFDs are working great! Now to integrate them into big rig... :unsure:

Skeeter

mfd01.jpg

mfd02.jpg

Was thinking about this the other day. Since you have created a DCS modifier with your X52, you can use that modifier to double the functionality of the MFDs as well, so you could assign many of the functions I have done on my TARGET profile to the MFD buttons in modified state.

Was thinking about this the other day. Since you have created a DCS modifier with your X52, you can use that modifier to double the functionality of the MFDs as well, so you could assign many of the functions I have done on my TARGET profile to the MFD buttons in modified state.

Great idea, Home Fries. :thumbsup: I hadn't thought of that. I would like to see what functions you programmed.

Skeeter

The Cougar MFDs are now set up with the triple-monitor system. I was able to use the laptop at it's native resolution of 1920 x 1080, with the triple screens running at 3840 x 800. The effective resolution that DCS is drawing at is 5760 x 1080, but this had no noticeable effect on frame rate. I imagine the fact that a lot of the pixels are either black or blank (not sure how the software looks at these unused pixels) has something to do with the minimal hit on performance.

With the laptop in this position it's a tight fit sitting the cockpit, but it works. It's also a rat's nest of wires!

Skeeter

mfd03.jpg

mfd04.jpg

mfd05.jpg

Oh that is nice! And I've got all the bits too, but not the inclination. :rolleyes:

Oh that is nice! And I've got all the bits too, but not the inclination. :rolleyes:

Thanks Wombat. It's really not hard at all. I hope you'll give this a try sometime. It's pretty neat. :)

Skeeter