COMBATSIM Forum
Skeeter

Skeeter's Pit

Yes Looks Very cool Skeeter.. How did you attach the MFD's to the Laptop screen??

Hi Neph,

I made a cutout of thin cardboard that covers the entire screen and attached the MFDs to that using double-sided tape. Works great.

Skeeter

Well .... at least you've got me to take then out of the box and that's a good sign ........ :thumbsup:

mfds_zps48967ef5.jpg

Excuse my ignorance but is the Notebook used so as to give you access to a keyboard? Sorry, its obvious I haven't read the manual, but how do the MFD's "talk" to your PC if they're plugged in the Notebook. :unsure: I'll try and catch you on Raptr sometime ......... I've lots of other questions. But that's nothing new for me ....... just ask HF ...... :lol:

I was able to use the laptop at it's native resolution of 1920 x 1080, with the triple screens running at 3840 x 800. The effective resolution that DCS is drawing at is 5760 x 1080, but this had no noticeable effect on frame rate. I imagine the fact that a lot of the pixels are either black or blank (not sure how the software looks at these unused pixels) has something to do with the minimal hit on performance.

You can also run at 5760x800; this won't change your image any and will have the PC render fewer pixels overall. If you weren't using cardboard, you would just see your desktop on the laptop screen between pixels 801-1080, but since you use cardboard you won't see anything different.

Well .... at least you've got me to take then out of the box and that's a good sign ........ :thumbsup:

mfds_zps48967ef5.jpg

Excuse my ignorance but is the Notebook used so as to give you access to a keyboard? Sorry, its obvious I haven't read the manual, but how do the MFD's "talk" to your PC if they're plugged in the Notebook. :unsure: I'll try and catch you on Raptr sometime ......... I've lots of other questions. But that's nothing new for me ....... just ask HF ...... :lol:

The MFDs are USB controllers, just like your saitek and cougar controllers. You assign them to directx buttons in DCS or BMS, or you can program them to keystrokes with TARGET.

You can also run at 5760x800; this won't change your image any and will have the PC render fewer pixels overall. If you weren't using cardboard, you would just see your desktop on the laptop screen between pixels 801-1080, but since you use cardboard you won't see anything different.

Hi Home Fries,

Thanks for the suggestion. I can see how this should work, but for some reason I haven't been able to get it to do so. When I first changed the resolution to 5760 x 800, the upper 280 pixels of the desktop showed on the triple screens. The DCS main window was being drawn at Y = 280 instead of Y = 0, or so it appeared. I tried changing the lua file to draw the window at and Y= -280 (seemed logical), but no joy. Now the bottom 280 pixels of the desktop showed on the triple screens. I even tried altering the screen layout in the Windows/Resolution dialog and that didn't help. I never got to the point where I could see where the MFDs were being drawn.

It might have to do with the fact that the laptop screen is set as monitor 1 and that I have to set it as the primary screen. If I don't set it as primary, the screens will draw properly in the game, but the mouse clicks would not register (in the game only, though--the mouse clicks registered on the DCS UI).

If you have any ideas of what to try, I'll give it a go. I think there might be a little hit on my frame rate at the moment, but it's tolerable.

Thanks again,

Skeeter

@Home Fries -- Thanks for the Saitek link. There are some pretty neat things going on there. It looks like the switch panel has been made functional and there might even be some progress on the radio panel. I'll need to dig deeper later on. Great stuff!

Skeeter

It might just be an empty shell now, but it won't be for long! The first piece of the new engine that will drive my pit has arrived. :dancinguy:

Many thanks to The_Nephilim for helping with component selection, not mention other great advice. :icon_bow:

I'll post progress photos of the build.

Skeeter

case01.jpg

case02.jpg

Love the case colour ..... sorry ...... color. ;) Same as mine. :lol:

More goodies have arrived! :woohoo:

newpc01.jpg

Wow Looking real good Skeeter... But I do have a question or two..

Did you get the 760GTX Video card?? is that a 2gb card or 4gb?? I thought I linked the 770GTX with 4gb vRam?? Also what heatsink cooler did you end up getting??

Hi Neph,

Not sure what happened. I ordered and got the GTX 760 4GB card, but I do see a link you must have sent for the GTX 770. Should I do an exchange?

For the heatsink, I got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835288003

Thanks,

Skeeter

Yes Get the 770GTX and that cooler looks fine too btw.. ;)

OK. RMA received for the GTX 760 and the GTX 770 is ordered. I thought I had updated my own wish list after your latest list, but I guess I didn't. Good catch! Thanks.

Skeeter

NP that is why we make these threads ;)

So you got the 770GTX with 4gb vRam?? Also the memory is 16gb correct??

Yep, got the GTX 770 with 4GB RAM and 16GB memory.

Party at Skeeter's Pad! :dancinguy: :dancinguy:

Come on over! The beer's cold. :beer:

Well Skeeter things on the list in NO Order:

1. PC Case ATX..

2. CPU Intel in this case..

3. ATX Motherboard with all cables screws and rear insert for the case. Please check skeeter it is all there..

4. Aftermarket fan and Heatsink...

5. DVD/RW/Rom Drive.. should have disk and cables with it..

6. Hard Drive it was OEM so make sure you have 1 6gb SATA Cable should be in the Motherboard box..

7. Power Supply ATX..

8. Win 7 64bit..

9. Video Card check to find out its Power requirements.. the power you plug into the card separate of the PCIe slot.. it may be 2 - 6 prong plug??

10. Thermal Paste for CPU.. Old Credit card to spread the paste..

That seems to be all you should have an need.. oh and a bit of patience..

Thanks Neph. I'll be checking all components and accessories this weekend. Then it's the long wait until my son (the real Air Force airman) comes home on leave and helps me put all this together (3-4 weeks :().

The GTX 770 and heat sink paste arrived yesterday. Other than any miscellaneous items I might need, the only thing left is the DVD burner. That should arrive any day now.

Skeeter

Getting all my ducks in a row...

pc01.jpg

Hey Skeeter I been thinking. I was wondering about your Hybrid Drive does it have a SSD Partition in it?? If so How much space is on the SSD Side of the drive..

I am wondering this because if it has at least 60gb of SSD Space that will be perfect for putting Windows on it and the rest for your Games and such..

The assembly has begun! :dancinguy:

First thing in the case is the top-mounted power supply:

newpc02.jpg

newpc03.jpg

Next, the CPU gets added to the motherboard:

newpc04.jpg

newpc05.jpg