newpc06.jpg

Thermal grease has been applied to the CPU:

newpc07.jpg

newpc08.jpg

newpc09.jpg

Motherboard and DVD drive mounted in case:

newpc10.jpg

newpc11.jpg

Looks Good Skeeter.. Little bit too much thermal paste but the good thing is it is NON Conductive.. Was there a Backing Plate for the Heatsink??

If you need help just let me know I can be on TS or Something for you if you need help..

Thanks Neph. Yeah, just a tad much on the paste, but it might not have been as bad as it looks in the photo. I'm not sure what you mean by a backing plate. The part that sits on the CPU is a solid plate and not just the cooling tubes, if that's what you mean. The tubes are flattened and merged into the plate.

I actually do have a few questions for you. I'll look for you on Raptr tomorrow.

Thanks,

Skeeter

Next up is the hard drive and RAM:

newpc12.jpg

newpc13.jpg

newpc14.jpg

newpc15.jpg

newpc16.jpg

You've gotta love working in large cases. :icon_rock:

One thing I noticed, Skeeter: you don't appear to have any of the PSU connections to the motherboard, and I'm guessing you don't have the PSU plugged into the wall. Connections to the motherboard is not a big deal, but the PSU should be plugged in and the case should be grounded; this will prevent ESD from frying your circuitry. Also, if you're not using a wriststrap, be sure to ground yourself on the case before touching anything, just to be safe.

Hi Home Fries -- Yep, there is plenty of room in this one! Thanks for the advice on grounding. I have been pretty careful so far, but it's good to be reminded. Regarding the connections, I wanted to install the components and then try to route the connections as cleanly as possible. As you'll see in my next batch of photos, the wiring is still a bit of a rat's nest, though. The graphics card covers some of the SATA sockets on the board, so I did have to connect the drives before installing that piece.

More photos below...

Skeeter

Just about there...

newpc17.jpg

newpc18.jpg

newpc19.jpg

newpc20.jpg

Guess I'll have to change the hardware list in my signature soon... :)

Been following this thread and enjoying watching you build your system. Looking great! :thumbsup:

Thanks Fittop. This is something new for me, but it's been fun. I'm pretty close to firing it up for the first time--a little nervous, I guess, but it should go OK.

Thanks again,

Skeeter

WEll if all went well you should here 1 beep then you should be able to get into BIOS. You need to get the DVD-Rom Drive to be the boot drive to get windows install started..

This is something new for me, but it's been fun. I'm pretty close to firing it up for the first time--a little nervous, I guess, but it should go OK.

If you're not nervous, you're doing it wrong. :) The nervousness keeps you alert.

Well, now that I have been through this I don't see how anyone can do it without a mentor. Thanks to the fantastic help from The Nephilim, my inert box of electronics has come to life! Thanks Neph. :icon_bow:

newpc21.jpg

newpc22.jpg

newpc23.jpg

You are Very Welcome Glad I could help out.. Also I hope you got all your Windows Updates all done and painless.. Now we will begin to stress test your Machine..

Don't worry Ill walk you through it. and yes it is a very needed step.. We will do both the video card and CPU Stress tests. to make sure your system is Stable..

Oh and we will also Overclock the CPU a bit.. So let me know when you have about an hour to burn will take about that long to stress test and setup..

OK Skeeter any news on Xplane error?? Hope you are enjoying your Killer new system.. ;)

@Neph -- That error has not yet repeated. Let's hope it was a one-time thing! I am indeed enjoying my new system! I just wish I had more time to use it and tweak it, but I'm getting there. Thanks again for all of the help.

@Home Fries -- Yes, I actually am using the new system again! It took a while, but it's all coming together now. I still have some work to do, though.

Thanks,

Skeeter

Skeeter

Here you go for your Saitek panels, Skeeter:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=118988

Hi Home Fries,

I finally found time to try this application. It works great. After this was initially posted at ED by ArturDCS, he upgraded the app so that it will work in both DCS and X-Plane, and maybe FSX. Without that upgrade you would have to change the device driver every time. Here is how I have the Swtich Panel programmed in DCS A-10C

switchpanel.jpg

The left hand knob is set up for waypoint selection: "L" is set to "Flight Plan," "R" to "Markpoint" and "BOTH/ALL" to "Mission." "Off" and "Start" are not used.

Upper row: "BAT" switch to "Battery"; "ALT" switch to "Inverter" off and standby; Next two switches to "AC Generator" left and right on and off; "DE-ICE" to "Anti skid" on and off; "PITOT HEAT" to "Pitot" on and off.

Bottom row: "COWL" to Nav Lights off or blinking; Next four switches to left and right main and wing boost pumps on and off; "TAXI" to taxi light on and off and "LANDING" to landing light on and off.

And last but not least, "GEAR UP" and "GEAR DOWN" to gear up and gear down. :Woot_Emoticon:

Works like a charm.

Thanks again for the link.

Skeeter

Glad to hear it.

Supposedly, Saitek/MC has plans to add programmability to these items using the same software as the front end bundled with the X55, but I expect we'll see the DCS F/A-18C before then. :lol:

OK Skeeter any news on Xplane error?? Hope you are enjoying your Killer new system.. ;)

@Neph--Sure enough, last night as soon as I got up out of the sim chair my PC restarted itself. It was shut down and the lights were off, then it restarted. As I mentioned, I had put things back the way they were when I saw the problem before. I'll start testing by moving the power plug from the power strip on the sim rig to another source. If it still restarts, I unplug certain USB connections.

Last night, after it restarted, I shut it down again while out of the chair and it stayed off. I must be rattling something when I get out of the seat.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Skeeter

@Neph -- Well, it's been one week and no restarts so far. It's starting to look like "Wake on LAN" was the problem. I found a number of references to Wake on LAN causing erroneous restarts, but I think some of those were when the PC was in a sleep state. I didn't see any that said specifically that the PC was off as mine was. Still, I think there is a connection.

Thanks again for all of the help. I think we got it.

Skeeter

Hey Sounds like a success story ;) That is really weird how a signal was being sent to the LAN cable when powering off. A Curiosity to be sure but have you seen any others experiencing that sort of problem on the forums anywhere??

Also I was wondering about your case under the USB Plugs there is a round gizmo is that some sort of LCD Screen or something with a readout on it or just a non functional window..

...have you seen any others experiencing that sort of problem on the forums anywhere??

I didn't see any references to what was triggering the restart, but in at least one case it was the same scenario as mine where the restart occurred moments after shutting down, or at least after going into sleep mode.

Also I was wondering about your case under the USB Plugs there is a round gizmo is that some sort of LCD Screen or something with a readout on it or just a non functional window..

It's an LCD screen showing some case conditions. The temp probe is just hanging free inside the case. I could have taped it to the hard drive case or to a CPU heat exchanger fin, but just left it free.

Skeeter

guage.jpg