Skeeter

Skeeter's Pit

81 posts in this topic

"I didn't see any references to what was triggering the restart, but in at least one case it was the same scenario as mine where the restart occurred moments after shutting down, or at least after going into sleep mode."
I have had that on my Windows 7, but only after trying to go into the sleep mode. It only happens about once a month. I had assumed it was to my having W 7 on both the SSD and the regular HD. But I'm clueless. Had no idea it was happening to others.

I have had that on my Windows 7, but only after trying to go into the sleep mode. It only happens about once a month. I had assumed it was to my having W 7 on both the SSD and the regular HD. But I'm clueless. Had no idea it was happening to others.

@Fittop -- I haven't had a single restart since disabling "Wake on LAN," and it's been over a month now. When Wake on LAN was enabled, I think I know what was triggering the PC to wake up, but I haven't isolated the root cause. Frequently, when I simply get up out of my sim chair while things are running, i.e. I'm not shutting things down, I notice that my HOTAS lights go out and them come back on a moment later--it happened last night. I don't have any obvious faulty connections, but whatever is causing the HOTAS to drop out momentarily could also be sending a signal to the PC that makes it think if should restart. I only got the restarts when I had just shut down the PC and got up out of the chair. Of course, the HOTAS lights were already off, but I'm guessing something electrical was still going on. Odd, I know, but that's what's happening.

Skeeter

You have a much better system than mine. The only commonality I see is the GTX 760 (mine is a 2 GB) and the X-52 PRO controller.

I wonder if others having the same restart occurrence share the same trait? For all I know it could be a capacitor or condenser sending a stray electron, BIOS setting, or a Saitek setting? I usually leave the controller plugged in.

It isn't a strong aggravation, but it does make me wonder. I never had it happen when shutting the system down; which I do daily, just rarely when I set it to sleep. Something which I do a few times a day.

My case is slightly different from similar occurrences that I read about in forums. My machine was restarting from a complete shut-down, not after it was put into sleep mode. There are actually quite few posts out there regarding unwanted or unexpected restarts from "Wake on LAN," but in all cases that I recall reading about the PC was in sleep mode.

However, I never came back to my PC after a long period of being off and found it simply back on as others have. Mine would only restart in the exact scenario I described. If I stood up first and then shut down the PC, no restarts ever occurred. I have an errant wire somewhere doing something it shouldn't! :grrr:

Hope you find it. I used to have the opposite problem on XP, probably caused by an outdated driver (Roxio), with an un-commanded shutdown while inactive.

Any chance yours being from a plug or even an "on-off" switch still being powered with low voltage?

Have had unpleasant low voltage ( under 40v.) shock from a switch or wall plug after I had opened the breaker to it. Even after checking it with a voltmeter. Apparently there was a faulty ground somewhere. It was a ceiling fan/light combo. Never did find it.

But I can't see how that's applicable here. That's why I was thinking capacitor, but most likely something else.

Your "pit" looks great! I'm envious.

Your "pit" looks great! I'm envious.

Thanks Fittop, I appreciate that. I think of it as the mid-life crisis I never had. A bit of an extravagance, but why not! :shrug:

Skeeter