COMBATSIM Forum
Whizkid

Desperately seeking an X-52 Stick!

After about five years my trusty X-52 has given its all! Refused to turn the rudder on my Hurricane, and all others as well. So, being of later years and on Soc. Sec., I'm looking to buy an X-52 stick in good shape, without the throttle for a very reasonable price, which means cheap, of course! Do you have one gathering dust after you went out and bought the very latest Stick on the market? Be kind to your trusty ol' friend and send him my way, OK? Just PM me with any info. Thanks.

Well, that didn't work out! I bought an X-52 stick,(no throttle) on EBay for $35, hoping to cannibalize it and fix mine. Uh huh! I never realized how thin and weak the wiring was, and after three days of going cross-eyed because of the miniaturization and using a soldering gun about ten times as big as the factory uses I finally gave up in frustration, kicked the dog, yelled at the missus, spit at the canary, and admitted I was beat, which is something I hate to do, because as we all know, WE CAN FIX ANYTHING! Well, maybe, but Saitek smugly says we can't if it involves electronics, so back to square one I guess. So, here I am, hat in hand, saying, I NEED A GOOD JOYSTICK AND THROTTLE AT A PRICE SOUTH OF $70, so let me know what you have, OK?

Whiz, what's wrong with the stick, other than the rudder axis? If you still have X and Y on the stick and the throttle is still good, get yourself some pedals instead and just lock the Rz axis on the X52.

Now I have two dismembered X-52 Sticks that I would be happy to send to anyone that needs parts for theirs. I just didn't realize how delicate the wiring is, which is why they squirted silicone blobs on all the connections, I guess. And with wire about twice as thick as a human hair, just trying to strip the insulation to re-solder is an impossible job! Then I touched a PCB with the soldering iron and that was it! So on with the hunt on EBay I guess.

Whiz, I really hate to break it to you, but you're unlikely to find a decent HOTAS for that price, especially since you're wary of second hand controllers. The Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X is garbage for $50; from what I understand the throttle has a dead zone that makes it impossible to do precise adjustments.

AFAIK, the only real HOTAS options are TM (but not T-Flight HOTAS X), CH Products, and Saitek. For TM, you're looking at the $400 range, no rudder axis, and you need to be able to program in C++ to do a decent profile. I love it, but it's definitely not for everybody, and it's much more difficult than the Saitek software.

CH Products can be purchased as individual units in the $80-100 range, so you could at least get the stick which has a Z throttle axis on it. Now if your X52 is still recognized by windows, you could use the X52 throttle with a CH stick and be fine for anything that recognizes more than one controller. You could upgrade the throttle and rudders incrementallly. CH can also be programmed using a programming language, or a GUI, and the quality is bulletproof. Also, even though the individual CH controllers are separate USB devices, the programming software can turn them into a single virtual controller for older games that only recognize controller #1.

Finally, Saitek, with which you're already familiar. X55 is getting good reviews early on, and that's in the $200 range. The stick and throttle are also individual USB components, so you're not dependent on the stick to use the throttle (or vice versa), but you're out of luck if your sims only see a single controller.

Hope this helps.

Nice post HF. :thumbsup:

I've followed this thread feeling the pain experienced by Whiz.

Suggestions:

If your X52 still works program the Z axis (rudder movement) to a rotary knob or HAT switch. [My TM Cougar has no Z axis so I have to use a rotary.]

or

As HF says: buy a CH 'stick.

or

Buy a MS Sidewinder (if available). [if your fly WWII Hurricanes, I doubt they came with a HOTAS 'stick much more sophisticated than Sidewinder with its X, Y, Z axes and 8 buttons. ;) ]

or

Take the X52's to somebody who can solder wires the size of human hairs and pay then the $70.

Sorry ....... just trying to help. My TM Cougar Y axis is starting to spike ......... but in my case its a matter of cleaning the pots.

Wombat makes a great suggestion re: the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. I use one for my DCS Helos and the P-51D, and I use my TM throttle and CH pedals for the other axes. Again, this assumes that your sim supports multiple controllers, and your X52 is still recognized by windows. SWFFB2s can be found on eBay in the $40-50 range, and really are great FFB sticks. Just be aware that there is no native programmability in operating systems later than Win98. All programming must be done through the sim's UI.

All taken under advisement. Thank you, gentlemen, I'll sit and mull this over a glass of Clan McGregor, if that's OK by y'all! Or even if it isn't!

....... Just be aware that there is no native programmability in operating systems later than Win98. All programming must be done through the sim's UI.

Very true. I have my Sidewinder Precision 2 (no force feedback) running with Win8.1. No buttons, just the X, Y, Z axes, throttle, HAT to look around and of course the trigger for firing weapons. Its very stable, even after 15 years of irregular use and probably cost me about 40 bucks. Why irregular use? I've got a TM Cougar now, but I still use the Sidewinder with my Notebook.

Thanks for all the info, gents. Finally bought a "lightly used" one for $66 incl. shipping. Should be OK, I think. Had contact with the seller and he's a flyer himself and just upgraded to CH Stick and pedals.

Thanks for all the info, gents. Finally bought a "lightly used" one for $66 incl. shipping. Should be OK, I think. Had contact with the seller and he's a flyer himself and just upgraded to CH Stick and pedals.

Just for interest, "lightly used" what? :shrug:

Oh, sorry, a lightly used X-52 Stick and Throttle. Should get it on Monday, so I'll update y'all after I've tested it. Luckily it looks as though my old ATI Radeon 5850 HD video card is going to sell for at least $50 on EBay so I may finish up even! Can't wait to get back to CoD again.

Oh, sorry, a lightly used X-52 Stick and Throttle. Should get it on Monday, so I'll update y'all after I've tested it. Luckily it looks as though my old ATI Radeon 5850 HD video card is going to sell for at least $50 on EBay so I may finish up even! Can't wait to get back to CoD again.

That's better than I dared hope! Good luck with the testing. :thumbsup:

Well, the X-52 arrived and looks brand new! So,I plug it in and fire it up. Everything working fine, so I mosey over to Cliffs of Dover, which, for graphics, is my absolute favorite Flight Sim. Oh, and I came out even on the sale of the vid card vs the X-52, so up to now I'm a happy puppy! OK, lets have a look at the Controls of my Hurricane. OH*******S******T! There's the stupid Rudder hard over right, and when I rotate the stick handle it just flips left and comes back right again! Exactly the same as the last two X-52s sitting in pieces in the garage. OK, time to REALLY think what's going on, before I scream at the guy who sold it to me. To cut to the chase, after a lot of head-scratching, I went back to basics, and realized that if the Stick showed OK in the X-52 Control Panel Test, then it wasn't the mechanics of the stick but something else. I'm really swift that way! So that left software and associated stuff, like Drivers, etc. Going on Google and searching for X-52 problems, of which there's a lot, I finally hit on a post in some Star Citizen website where they were discussing X-52 Handle Rotation problems. Well, it turns out that a lot of owners have the same problem as mine, and the answer is to NOT use MadCatz drivers that were issued after Saitek was sold to MC, which was around June/2013. So, off to the Saitek Driver website which is still available, and I found the last update from Saitek before they were sold to MC. For anyone interested, it is "Saitek X 52 Flight Controller 7-0-27-13 64bit Driver......vs 4.0.100.1190". It was issued around April 2013. Any Driver after that from MC will not work properly in Win7/64. So, after re-installing my X-52, and updating the Driver, I'm ecstatic to say that EVERYTHING works correctly! Anybody want some X-52 spare parts?

Glad to hear it eventually worked out for you, but the fact that a driver "broke" your HOTAS is just infuriating, and how are people supposed to know to avoid the latest driver on the later operating systems? And how does a driver that breaks an axis make it through Quality Control? Even if they couldn't replicate the issue on their own systems, there are obviously enough samples out there that they could fix what they broke in the first place.

I wonder if the QA folks from Microsoft started at MadCatz after the Windows 8 rollout debacle.

If I knew how they come up with Drivers maybe I could answer the question, HF., but I'm woefully ignorant of such things. I guess the people in charge are far more interested in pushing the next product than worrying about the old one. But it would be nice for PR, if nothing else, if they'd support their old product better. Dream on, I guess!

It's not so much about supporting their old stuff as it is breaking it with the new stuff. If you're going to do that, you specify what the drivers are for (and more importantly, what they are not for).

I've done software development and testing, so this inattention to detail along with a lack of follow-up on something so egregious just ticks me to no end.

Here, Here, HF! I quite agree. But this is 2014, so the norms quickly fall by the wayside, right?

It may be unrelated, but it has taken me over a year to realize that the X-52 pro does not play nicely with a USB 3 port.

Found a link in SimHQ that mentioned exactly some of the problems I was having.

I know less than anyone here about drivers or Windows. -Usually a plug and play guy.

Hang on to the spare parts, Whizkid. We may need them.

I have a 3 year old mobile phone. It can take pictures. I regularly go to my local photo self-serve shop to run some prints off.

Staff: "Sorry sir, we've update our hardware/software and it now doesn't recognize your "old" mobile phone. You'll need to download the new app to the phone so as to take prints"

Me: :o "But my phone has a USB connector ........."

Staff: "Sorry sir, the phone's too old ......"

Me: " :wtf: ": :banghead::nuke:

It may be unrelated, but it has taken me over a year to realize that the X-52 pro does not play nicely with a USB 3 port.

Found a link in SimHQ that mentioned exactly some of the problems I was having.

I know less than anyone here about drivers or Windows. -Usually a plug and play guy.

Hang on to the spare parts, Whizkid. We may need them.

Forget Fittop ......... ;) I'll pay top AUD$ if I need them. :rofl:

Any of you need some spare parts for the X-52, just say the word and they're yours, free of charge! I even have a complete Throttle which works fine. Shipment is free in the US of A, but elsewhere............well..............!

I have a 3 year old mobile phone. It can take pictures. I regularly go to my local photo self-serve shop to run some prints off.

Staff: "Sorry sir, we've update our hardware/software and it now doesn't recognize your "old" mobile phone. You'll need to download the new app to the phone so as to take prints"

Me: :o "But my phone has a USB connector ........."

Staff: "Sorry sir, the phone's too old ......"

Me: " :wtf: ": :banghead::nuke:

As long as your pc recognizes your phone and you can upload the pictures, just do it that way. Then you can put them on a thumbdrive or email them.