Home Fries

DCS World weekly fly-in

44 posts in this topic

Gents,

I'll be up for tonight, but I'm restricted to flying the A-10C (at least until I can program the HOTAS for other birds). That shouldn't cramp our style any, but I may will need some serious refreshers on target waypoints and TGP slaving. I got spoiled with the Ka-50's HMS for a while. :lol:

Edited by Home Fries

I will come by some time soon, guys, totally Falconned out right now.

Fellas, Krusty is out of town, and I'll be late (9-9:30). See you then.

When flying online do you guys use the steam version, or the version downloaded from the DCS website, or are they interchangeable? Can someone playing via steam play with people running the game downloaded from the website?

Ignore this :)

Found an answer here - http://community.combatsim.com/topic/37315-dcs-world-should-i-get-it/#entry5174471

I'll get it from the website so that the modules downloaded from ED website will work.

@keeps,

Just to clarify the answer, we have both ED and Steam users flying with us with no problems. The only thing to make sure of is that both versions are the same (if a patch is released within a day or so of the fly-in and may not be uploaded to Steam yet). Then we check the version of the Steam user before deciding whether to patch the ED versions.

Folks, my apologies for missing tonight's fly-in. I was stuck late at work and didn't make it home until 8:30.

@keeps,

Just to clarify the answer, we have both ED and Steam users flying with us with no problems. The only thing to make sure of is that both versions are the same (if a patch is released within a day or so of the fly-in and may not be uploaded to Steam yet). Then we check the version of the Steam user before deciding whether to patch the ED versions.

Folks, my apologies for missing tonight's fly-in. I was stuck late at work and didn't make it home until 8:30.

Thanks!

Out of interest what do you guys tend to fly in these fly ins or is it a mixture of all available aircraft?

I.e. Do some of you fly A10's while others fly the F15's?

We fly whatever we feel like flying, and find missions where everybody can fly (e.g. if you only have the Su-25T, we'll fly a mission that has the Su-25T). So sometimes we'll all be in the A-10C or Ka-50, and sometimes we'll all be in different aircraft. If there is an aircraft you would like to fly, let us know and we'll find a mission that accommodates everybody.

Wednesday's (9/30/15) Joint Op with 75th vFG was great! Asset Extraction is a fun mission, and the extra players made the target count just silly - there were things I had never seen before. All my bad habits (e.g. overflying the CAS target while in a stand-off role) bit me more than usual, but the universally good comms discipline made it feel great. Use of content sharing for the mission brief was new to me, and a huge help - nice brief Home Fries. Can't wait for the rematch (AI was victorious, but it was worth it to see Nephilim on short final with nothing forward of his Su-25T foot pedals).

I agree that it was a great time by all. The briefing tool (Twiddla) was pretty cool as well. There's also a web based DCS mission planner out there (I know because I wrote one of the scripts for it), but I'll have to find it again and see if it's compatible with 1.5 missions.

I also overflew a target once thinking it was just a bunch of soft targets. I forgot that the Ka-50, though armored, has a glass jaw and if your HUD is taken out you're combat ineffective. Felt good to scrape off the Ka-50 rust, though it was apparent plenty of rust was there to begin with.

...but it was worth it to see Nephilim on short final with nothing forward of his Su-25T foot pedals).

Screenshot? :whoa:

Is 1.5 on general release?

According to my Steam version, I have 1.2.x with no pending updates

1.5 is in open beta. There should be a way to get it through steam, though since I have the ED version I don't know exactly how to do this.

Thanks! There is a 'Beta' tab in Steam, so I have it now.

Quite a nice improvement in the visuals.

It's been a while since we've posted screenshots, but here's one taken by Krusty of Neph, Skeeter and myself in wedge formation.  Skeeter is lead with Neph on the left and me on the right.

2016-01-23_00002_zpsvhd7km37.jpg

And another shot by Krusty of me doing a high speed low pass on the airfield prior to the break.  I was going fast enough that I actually blacked out in the break and almost crashed. :lol:

2016-01-23_00003_zpsno7w8a61.jpg

Another Saturday screenie from Krusty:

2016-02-20_00002_zps6vg54ftw.jpg

You can see Neph at altitude drawing fire from the tanks and BMPs on the hillside.  I'm in the forefront in the Ka-50, firing Vikhrs at the tanks while they look elsewhere.  Lots of targets marked with black smoke!

A formation pic from tonight's flight: Skeeter maintaining tight formation with Home Fries.

Screen_160224_202603_zpse4xqzr3f.jpg

Some more formation pics of myself and Ghost from this past Wednesday Fly in with the 75th VFS.

Screen_160302_220444_zpsxsdnbh9t.jpg

Screen_160302_220609_zpsfeen6wlj.jpg

And this one is an external shot courtesy of Krusty.

2016-03-02_00006_zpswbreoqsh.jpg

Rabid Bear is back! :thumbsup:

Joint operation with the 75th VFS Tigersharks this evening, where Striker performed a thorough update of the classic "Asset Extraction" for DCS v1.5.4.  One of the best missions ever made for DCS World had broken triggers for quite some time, but the updates fixed that.  No screenies tonight; I was flying the Huey and needed to be on the controls the whole time.  However, 8 of us had a blast and were able to extract Rabid Bear.  We also had one of the most enjoyable flights over the past year.

Effective immediately, or weekday fly-in has been moved to Tuesdays at 8pm EST.  This is to accommodate schedules of our regular flyers as well as increase joint ops with the 75th VFS.

Effective immediately, or weekday fly-in has been moved back to Wednesdays at 8pm EST.  See the OP for details.