COMBATSIM Forum
ATAG_Endless

Team fusion updates

Hi guys team fusion are the modders who create the awesome new content for cliffs of dover here are some work in progress videos for the next patch I will post all updates here aswell

For more info you can check out the site

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/

So sit back and enjoy

What's the best WWII flight sim/combat sim? I think it's my favorite era.

Flying jets is fun, but only when it's guns only mode.

The answer to your question depends on what you are looking for. If you want the highly detailed planes and want a realistic dogfight, DCS World has the P-51D, Fw190D9 and Bf109K-4 (as well as the F-86F and soon the MiG-15 for gunzo), all painstakingly modeled and great for dogfighting. However, it doesn't yet have a WWII theater or object database, so flying historical type missions and campaigns is out. You also pay $40-50 for each individual aircraft, though the modeling of them is well worth it if this is what you're looking for.

You can go with Cliffs of Dover (CloD) with the Team Fusion mods, which gives you what CloD should have been at release. I haven't messed too much with CloD/TF, so I can't speak to it much more than that.

Personally, I still like the original IL-2 1946, which is conveniently on sale for $5US on GoG right now. Unlike CloD it can be played right "out of the box", and even better the GoG version comes with the 4.12.2 by Team Daidalos so you don't even need to separately install the unofficial (yet authorized) patches.

IL-2 1946 has the most aircraft and theaters, the aircraft are well modeled (though without clickable cockpits like DCS has), and there are also three dynamic campaign engines for IL-2 (dgen/ngen for single/multiplayer campaigns come with IL-2, and DCG is available as a free mod). You can fly fighters, bombers, and early jets, fly for any number of countries, and fly multiple variants of most aircraft. I put over 400 hours into IL-2 in all of its versions, and I barely scratched the surface.

Finally, there's IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad, which was recently released to mixed reviews. The cockpits and environments are gorgeous, but many people are taking issue with "unlocking" aircraft, an online-only campaign engine that must be used for the unlocks (i.e. a server based unlock system), and repetitive missions with a long time between unlocks. For $60, it's a risk, while 1946 is currently $5 and normally goes for $10.

Re: DCS and IL-2: BoS, the answer may be different if you ask the same question this time in 2015. :)

Thanks for all that great information. I do already have A10 for DCS and haven't spent enough time with it to be deadly yet. I just love the WWII aircraft more than any of them. I also though really enjoy the multi-player experience but there doesn't seem to be much multi-player games with real flight dynamics. People flying bombers as if they we F15's going vertical, etc...gets a bit old after a while. I'm going to take your advice on IL2 and grab that copy while I still can. Thanks very much!

Welcome aboard, thor363! For my money, if you're looking for the absolute tops in WW2 a/c and both Single and Online Missions, Cliffs of Dover, or CoD as it's usually called, can't be beat! It's a little demanding on the rig, but the Detail, Missions, Gameplay, and camaraderie is the tops. The Team Fusion website is the well to draw from for info., and MissionforToday has some great Missions for it. When Oleg walked away from it years ago a talented team of Designers took it over, and it is superb now! Try it, you'll like it!

PS. You can d/l it through Steam, btw.

Can't stand adding steam overhead to getting games, but I'll have a look at it also.

Any better sources than steam? I had some flight sims through steam which I enjoyed, and now they no longer work and have no support.

Don't think you'll have any problem with Steam and CoD. I've had it for two years and all is well. Try it, you can always uninstall and go some other route if necessary.

Yep, and the Mission4Today website is popular for Missions too. ATAG is probably the most involved with CoD and certainly the most helpful for a newby. Make sure you read the "Beginners Guide to Cliffs of Dover" in ATAG first. It'll save you hours of frustration!

Well, I have it all installed and patched to the latest version of mods. Looks visually pretty good, but now I need to find a good Warthog config...I may be a computer guy, but patience for mapping all these darned buttons is not why I play flight sims! :) Off to read that guide asap! Thanks.