COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

DCS World 2 Exclusive Peek (Froogle's Hangar)

The graphics engine is done; they're doing final integration and testing now to allow multiple theaters into the game (like Nevada). Personally, as long as they do the integration right they can take all the time they need.

Latest update said January/February, so I'll tend to believe February given that January is all of the Orthodox holidays. Matt Wagner said that there would be a public release beta for DCSW 2, so I'm certainly hoping for next month.

Be sure to check out another video: this one of Wags flying a F-15C around NTTR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84411374&v=llgTAq1Rh3E

And check out http://www.mudspike.com/ while you're at it! That's for whom Wags cut the video.

Some bad quantization errors in their heightmap at 8:55:

23k4r7.jpg

Or if it's no real geodata, it's a feedback loop in the erosion algorithm.

Great graphics nontheless.

Great catch! That must be what's been holding up the release for the past year (and is possibly delaying us another quarter). ;)

Very, very pretty. I'd have preferred to see a bit more frivolous action though.

What happens if you strafe one of those trucks on US-95? Do the others react in any way?

If you take out those electricity pylons, do you get sparking from the cables and do the lights go out anywhere?

What happens if you napalm that airbase parking lot? Nice secondary explosions when the gas tanks cook off?

I doubt that static objects are modeled to that damage level yet; they aren't in DCSW1 and modeling an ecosystem like that would be very time consuming. Heck; incindiary damage isn't even modeled in DCS yet (so much for nape). For the cars, though: i know that a convoy will disperse if attacked, though I doubt it's the same with civilian traffic. You can also model the convoy alert level and response to attack in the mission editor.

EDIT: Reminds me of when Skeeter and I were flying A-10s. I made a gun pass and pulled out too low. i recovered and almost made it over the power lines. Then the lines caught on the wing and cartwheeled me before I bought it. :rofl:

I kind of suspected that would be the answer.

It's all very well making an intricate visual world, but IMHO the illusion is shattered if you can't interact with it in a satisfying way.

I'd imagine multiplayer would take away a lot of that emptiness, which I suppose is what DCS World is all about,

DCS World isn't all about the multiplayer (though the multiplayer is amazing), but it's more about the aircraft modeling than the environment. TBH, I can't think of a single sim that makes a fully destructible world like you describe (not just exploding walls, but dependency modeling like power outages when a power line is hit). Something like that would be very cool, though. I would pay good money for that. That would also be cool from a Combined Arms perspective, as taking out a city power grid at night means that the tanks (which can be manned in CA) no longer get that geographical reference while on the move.

Right now we have to stick with a loss of ATC when you bomb a tower, or just physical destruction of buildings.

My first impression was that while it is generally awesome, the road system looks like something out of Sim City 2000...and where does that railroad go at 2:52?

Checking Google Earth though, it seems that Nevada's road system is really like that, and the railroad crosses the road at that point. :)

Latest DCSW 2 teaser video; this time it's a F-15C at high speed, low level at 60fps. With a quick flyby of the Strip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwL4nzN0Vgs

Stealth post by Wags:

A little update:

Today we reached a significant milestone of moving the NTTR map into full internal testing such that our external testers can now pound on it.

There are still several blocking bugs, but we are working hard to resolve them has fast as we can.

Well, it looks like Windows 10 will beat DCSW2 out the door after all...

Despite our best efforts over the past six months, DCS World 2 has not yet achieved the quality level and features that we require for an open alpha release. Rather than release an alpha version that is potentially a disappointment for many users, we feel it best to keep it in the oven a bit longer to bake it more thoroughly. We fully realize that this is disappointing for some, but I can assure you that it pales in in comparison to our own. No one wishes to release our new baby out into the world more than us.

But the good news (emphasis mine):

New multiplayer GUI system that allows multiple players in the same aircraft and multiple player aircraft in the same flight. This is critical for multi-seat aircraft like the L-39, UH-1H, Hawk, etc.

This one has been a pet peeve of mine for some time; glad to see it getting addressed.

This video is similar to Wag's flying during yesterday's livestream (though Wags had an unfortunate spud-locker incident with the -33, whereas he traps in this video). The purpose is to show graphical improvements inherent in the new graphics engine that will improve the experience on the Black Sea map. There are a few new high-res textures, but for the most part the Black Sea map is identical to DCS 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id99Nj1q9Q8

Fast forward to 12:30 if you want to see the new water effects (I really love the bow wakes of the ships)

.In other good news, multi-seat aircraft and multi-aircraft groups have made it into the multiplayer menu. While multi-seat aircaft are probably still in the works, at least we can have multiple clients per flight. That should make mission building (and trigger building) a lot easier.

Here's the low-down on DCS World 1.5 due out in September:
Wags 26 July Stream.

DCS: W 1.5 has DCS: W 2.0 engine minus NTTR and new maps. All others new features, DX11 engine, new effects, new GUI, unified exe, 3D engine on map editor en encyclopaedia, New IA, etc, coming on September with the L-39C (L-39ZA coming later free).

Q&A
http://www.twitch.tv/wagmatt/v/8631641

L-39 Flight
http://www.twitch.tv/wagmatt/v/8634072

That means DCS 1.5 is essentially DCS 2.0 without the ability to add new maps! This is better than I expected.
Also from Wags' Q&A (near the end), he mentioned testing the frag damage modelling for iron bombs, and what he described sounds very promising.