COMBATSIM Forum
Bede19025

Installing EF2000 to use it with EF2000 Reloaded?

I've read the article on the TAW Wiki re installing this on a 64 bit OS.

But neither Windows Virtual PC nor Windows XP Mode work with Windows 8.

Now I think I've found a way around the Windows XP mode problem.

But what about Virtual PC? Would Virtual Box work? I played around with it but couldn't get EF 2000 to install.

Any suggestions as to how i might make it work on Windows 8? ThNk you.

Don't read too much into using Virtual PC; the important thing is to have a 32 bit operating system available (virtual or otherwise). If you have a Windows XP PC laying around somewhere, that's all you need. then you can zip the EF2000 folder on the XP PC and extract it to your Windows 8 PC.

If you can load Windows 95/98/ME/XP on Virtual Box, that should be fine just as long as you can somehow extract the data to your regular hard drive.

HF, I think I have a version of EF 2000 extracted to my Win 8 pc, but when I run Reloaded the EF 2000 Options radio buttons are all greyed out.

So I can't choose a config

Don't read too much into using Virtual PC; the important thing is to have a 32 bit operating system available (virtual or otherwise). If you have a Windows XP PC laying around somewhere, that's all you need. then you can zip the EF2000 folder on the XP PC and extract it to your Windows 8 PC.

If you can load Windows 95/98/ME/XP on Virtual Box, that should be fine just as long as you can somehow extract the data to your regular hard drive.

You need to first map your EF2000 directory to EF2000 Reloaded; since there are no registry entries it doesn't automatically know where to look. Be sure to select the correct version of EF2000 for the slot you use; options differ based on the version of EF2000 you have enabled (e.g. original, TACTCOM, 3DFX/GFX+).

Once you map its location, config should be available to you.

You need to first map your EF2000 directory to EF2000 Reloaded; since there are no registry entries it doesn't automatically know where to look. Be sure to select the correct version of EF2000 for the slot you use; options differ based on the version of EF2000 you have enabled (e.g. original, TACTCOM, 3DFX/GFX+).

Once you map its location, config should be available to you.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I "map" the EF 2000 directory to the Reloaded directory? Is that done from within the Reloaded program?

I thought of that and tried to enter the path in the slot next to the radio buttons for the versions, but it didnt do anything. It was all still greyed out.

Thanks

In the Reloaded manual, go to the "Navigating the Configuration Menu" section. There you will see the configuration screen (figure 2). When you want to map your existing install, you will either copy and paste the path/filename into the window (as is shown in figure 2), or you can click on the three dots, which will bring up the file selection menu. From there, you can navigate to your file (e.g. EF2000.exe). The next page following figure 2 describes this in general terms because each computer is different. Just remember to map to the correct slot (i.e. don't map the original EF2000 version to the TACTCOM slot), or else the Reloaded routines may corrupt your install.

Thanks HF. I'm an idiot. :spank: I didn't notice that those buttons with the three little dots were clickable. Once I realized that I knew what to do.

Now for some reason it's only working when I start EF2000 from the Config menu that pops up when I click config in Reloaded. When I click on the picture of the Eurofighter on the Reloaded Screen it opens DOSBox but crashes and won't start. But I've got it working via the Config screen.

Thanks again!

Thanks HF. I'm an idiot. :spank: I didn't notice that those buttons with the three little dots were clickable. Once I realized that I knew what to do.

Now for some reason it's only working when I start EF2000 from the Config menu that pops up when I click config in Reloaded. When I click on the picture of the Eurofighter on the Reloaded Screen it opens DOSBox but crashes and won't start. But I've got it working via the Config screen.

Thanks again!

In the config screen there's a checkbox that says "Stop autoexec at DOS prompt just before running EF2000". Check this, and then you can troubleshoot any DOS messages before EF2000 loads. Then just type EF2000 at the DOS prompt and see what kind of error you get, as it won't close automatically.