COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

Interview with Leatherneck's Nicholas "Cobra" Dackard

The Institute of Virtual Pilots recently conducted an interview with Nicholas "Cobra" Dackard of Leatherneck Simulations (the developers of the awesome MiG-21bis module). The article is hyperlinked, but here are some highlights:

UVP: Based on leads which are on forums and your Facebook, it was no so hard to find out what could be the next module. We can decipher at least one and the whole UVP agreed that it may be true. So we will not prolong it too much and ask you right away: can you confirm that we are looking at Tomcat or not? smile.png

Nick: If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck...? smile.png

UVP: Are you planning to make a module with helicopter in future? Or are you only looking at fixed wings?

Nick: We're not against them, perhaps it's even probable that we will build one at some point. Currently, however, all of our modules are fixed-wing. ( well, kind of.. wink.png )

UVP: You have mentioned that you are ready to release a new module this year already which is quite shocking compared to how long other modules take to be released. Do you have any concrete information about when you want to release it? Will it be sooner than at the end of the year? Even though I know it’s hard to guess but what is the earliest time we can expect a new module from you?

I'm hesitant to give a specific time frame; but it's very likely to be in the latter half of 2015. Hopefully in the fall.

Not beyond the Su-33 on the Kuznetsov. They're working on it for the F/A-18C, including a new Nimitz class carrier model.

Thanks for the info!

Just checked out some Kuznetsov takeoff/landing videos on YT and it's looking good.

Some great SU-33 refuelling vids as well.

I hadn't realised they were that far along. :)

TBH, the Su-33 (along with the MiG-29K back in the day) has been around like that since Flanker 2.0. They really haven't done much with Russian carrier ops. We're all looking hoping for Janes F/A-18 level carrier ops, considering Matt Wagner is with ED now.

Well, thanks for bringing me back down to earth! For a moment there I was actually starting to feel positive about DCS. :)

There's plenty to feel positive regarding DCS. Just don't expect any of it to come on schedule. :rofl:

EDIT: In all truth, DCS World despite its flaws is the most complete combat sim out there. The MiG-21bis module is also an absolute masterpiece.