COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

Council of Narsilion Members Must Read: Pending Closure of Windfola Server

4 members have voted

1. 1. What Server should the Council of Narsilion migrate to?

• Arkenstone
    • Crickhollow
    • Landroval
    • Gladden
    • Brandywine
  2. 2. Where should the next Kinship House be located?

• Michel Delving (current location)
    • Thorin's Hall
    • Bree
    • Duillond (elves)

Narsilion Members,

Those of you who received the latest LotRO newsletter are aware that Turbine is consolidating the existing US servers to 5 servers as part of a hardware upgrade. According to this announcement, Windfola is one of those servers on the chopping block. We can choose from 5 servers:

• Arkenstone
  • Crickhollow
  • Landroval
  • Gladden
  • Brandywine (though currently impacted and may not be open for transfer)

I have attached a survey to this thread; please place your vote(s). I have allowed multiple votes if you have a preference for a number of servers. EDIT: Also, please post your rationale for your server choice. When I get an in-game email stating that I can transfer the kinship to another server, I will make the announcement here, and then close the poll shortly after and move the kinship to the server with the most votes.

Since we will also need a new crash pad, I will entertain moving it from the Shire to the other three housing locations if there is enough interest. Otherwise, I will try to get the same house, combing the neighborhoods to see what's available.

Once I have migrated the kinship, I will post as much in this topic, and then you all can migrate to to the same server. We will retain our upkeep payments, storage options, and decorations will be in escrow until we decorate the new digs.

If anybody has any other suggestions or concerns, please post them. I want to move us with as little drama as possible.

Regards,

Hammerwulf

Edited by Home Fries

All,

Here are some references for server selection I recently discovered:

Choosing a Server (A Guide); this dates back to 2011, so take the population numbers with a grain of salt. However, the community information should still be good.

LotRO Alt Finder (Statistics Page); there is no specific date here, but I assume the information is current. Of course, everything will likely change when the mass migration begins.

Some apparent takeaways:

• Landroval is the current RP server, and will likely be the only RP server with the new structure.
  • Gladden is the unofficial "mature" server.
  • Brandywine was the largest server prior to F2P, and is still the largest server. This is likely the server with the most experienced players.

Well no reasone I just liked the name but you list showing which server is which helps a bit more.. is there a location of said servers as well??

Well no reasone I just liked the name but you list showing which server is which helps a bit more.. is there a location of said servers as well??

All eligible servers are US based.

Well yes US Based I kinda figured that but do we have a more Definate local East Coats vs West Coast?? I maen if we have people on both sides it would make sence to pick a server closer in the middle??

Thanks Home Fries for giving us a choice, with plenty of time to decide.

My decision process revolved around two factors - population size and population character.

I would prefer to avoid "high" populations, to limit the overloads on rare spawns for quests. This would rule out Brandywine and Landroval, servers that had high populations even before the FTP wave. Trade this off against the stronger communities, and it might be a wash. Of the other, newer servers, I am indifferent in general.

My preference is for a more mature population with an RP bias, if you can identify one in advance of the migration fallout. Even though I don't RP much, that's a good indicator of serious, self-policing gamers. This would (I hope) cut down on the off topic, techy, offensive, and OOC chat which often ruins the fantasy immersion. But, wherever we land, I intend to find the fun in this move and look forward to meeting new players (and perhaps kinsmen) wherever we go.

So, in the end, I really couldn't pick one - so I promise not second-guess your final choice. The only thing I really hope, is that we go there together - taking the best of Windfola along with us.

Ok, folks.

So far we have 2 votes for Brandywine and one vote for anything but Brandywine. There are compelling arguments either way (both of which have been captured in Krusty's articulate post). The latest word is that Brandywine will open for transfers around December (after others have migrated to the lower-population worlds), so we have some time to figure this out.

I haven't made a decision yet; I would really like more people to chime in. Even if you old-schoolers aren't active in LotRO anymore, please engage in the discussion so that we can all move our accounts together. Who knows: maybe the new server will spark a renewed interest. For those of you who went inactive around the 65/75 level cap, Krusty and I have alts at that level that can be used for fellowships. Likewise, Krusty, Neph and I have level 100 characters that can help with power-leveling if you prefer.

I look forward to your inputs.

Arkenstone if it's all the same to you.

That's fine (Arkenstone is now the front-runner), but any particular reason why you like Arkenstone?

Just an ease of migration I think. If they are doing away with our home Brandywine is probably going to be very popular. Meaning I don't want to get there and not all of the council could join. I've reached out to the others I have contact with and I'll let you know what they think.

Well, it's time I put my $.02 in.

If Brandywine is out because of its population (and given the responses that's pretty much true), then my vote is for Gladden. Being the "mature" server, I'm more confident in its members than the others (Brandywine excepted). It also has a population similar to Arkenstone, so migration shouldn't be an issue for currently inactive members. I'm also fine with Landroval for the same reasons Krusty has articulated, but its population is also larger than Arkenstone and Gladden.

@Gunny, when you talk to the others, please go ahead and post a total tally, which I can then add to the poll results. Also, if you can post reasons for specific servers that would be great, since I want to make everybody happy. Finally, if you want the leadership back after the server migration, it's all yours!

No response from the ones I've reached out to so far. We'll see about the other when we cross that bridge.

No response from the ones I've reached out to so far. We'll see about the other when we cross that bridge.

No problem, Gunny. Thanks for doing the legwork in the first place.

So right now, our bridge looks to cross either into Arkenstone or Gladden. To be honest, the only things I know about the other servers I got from the links I posted earlier. We can wait until December, but at this point I don't see much upside in doing so. I figure the earlier we migrate, the more likely our Kinship house will be available in one of the neighborhoods (since sticking with the existing house was an overwhelming poll response).

The only question now is which server? I am fine with either one. Gunny, if there's a reason you like Arkenstone over Gladden, please let us know. I just want everybody who votes or re-votes to make an informed decision.

I know I've waffled on this but Gladden is fine. A more mature population would be a nice change.

Ok, right now we have Gladden by a 1 vote margin, and it's my vote (which I would rather only use as a tiebreaker). Everybody, please chime in with a post specifying whether you prefer Gladden or Arkenstone, or conversely post that you have no preference against either. I'll leave the polling open until next Sunday morning (Oct 11), at which point I will migrate my account and the Kinship to whichever server is selected. I'll find us some new digs (hopefully the same digs in another neighborhood), and post here when it's ok to move on over.

I hope to get your inputs before 10/11.

-Hammerwulf

I tried to transfer today and it will not give me an option of selecting a server I want to transfer from. Not sure what the deal is with that.

I haven't tried, yet, but they recommend that the kinshp leader transfer first, then bring the kinship members over. I'll have to bone up on whether there's anything else I need to do, or whether it's automatic once the kinship is on the new server.

Looks like it's automatic. I wanted to get there first and check out the neighborhoods. There's a certain house I want.

If it's not 3 chalk, give me the address from the current neighborhood and I'll look for it. I was planning on trying to get the same house, but if you have a better idea I'm all ears. I can also always give you back the leadership mantle before the move. I'm not sure whether we both need to be online for a smooth turnover, but I'm willing to do it now.

I've tried to transfer and it looks like they are doing it one server at a time starting with Firefoot. I wanted to get the house I had before I lost it. It's the one down by the lake. Found four or five neighborhoods with the house for sale and the same kinhouse.

So am I the only one playing now. Downloaded and got everything set up. No biggie just wondering.

I've tried to transfer and it looks like they are doing it one server at a time starting with Firefoot. I wanted to get the house I had before I lost it. It's the one down by the lake. Found four or five neighborhoods with the house for sale and the same kinhouse.

I'll give the transfer a try. Do you know the names of the neighborhoods I should look at?

EDIT: You've been looking at Gladden, right?