COMBATSIM Forum
Krycztij

What you been up to lately?

27 minutes ago, mikew said:

Just repeating my earlier question...

If you choose SHIFT+Q, X while flying, your plane will fly on and the controls will remain locked in whatever position they were when you left. (This may only work with joystick controls, though.)

I spawned the plane at ~40k ft, pulled the joystick hard towards me and a little to the left, and chose SHIFT+Q, X to leave it. So it kept flying circles while I spawned another plane and controlled that. (The circles are not so obvious due to the small roll momentum.)

No A.I., but good enough for a few minutes of fun :)

(The plane crashed into the ground after three minutes, and I hit it a few more times. But it was too boring to post in a video.)

27 minutes ago, mikew said:

In software development, that last 5% takes 95% of the project time. That's a fundamental rule that can't be broken. :lol:

Yes. I just noticed that the contrails only work while they’re white. In any other color, the foreground/background is mashed up because transparency requires things being drawn strictly back-to-front.

I’d have to cut the contrails into smaller segments and sort them before rendering to make it work. I’ll just let that be and go with the ugly overlapping problems because order-independent transparency is an easier solution, which I don’t have on D3D 9 but will certainly have when I start a new Vulkan renderer some time in the future.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. Certainly fooled me...

The contrails look amazing as they are, so it certainly seems like a good idea to note the problems and move on.

You just haven’t seen the ugly angles of view yet ;) But yes, I’ll move on when temperature and wingtip vortices are added. They’re just too crucial to skip. (IR rendering is something you need to add as early as possible, or you will run against a wall when you eventually need it. Besides, you WILL thank me when you need to feed the API.)

You mean you're selecting your screenshots to show off the best of TFXplorer? It's a good job nobody else does that sort of thing, or we might not be able to rely on what we see on the internet. :)

Not sure I should be posting in this thread.

What you been up to lately?

In my case, very little regarding TFX. :(

4 hours ago, mikew said:

You mean you're selecting your screenshots to show off the best of TFXplorer? It's a good job nobody else does that sort of thing, or we might not be able to rely on what we see on the internet. :)

;)

Oh, those 5 %. I just noticed that I computed vapor saturation with the wrong temperature – around -500 °F. But it was compensated by the complete lack of pressure in my equations. Now re-calibrating all values … it looked good, but it was only "physically-based" in a very loose definition of the term :D

I did but they were not pretty :D

Got wingtip vortices working, but they still use the contrail texture for the moment.

ani1uajw2.gif