COMBATSIM Forum
Home Fries

I wanted to see if I could do it...

Then I had to shoot through Hoover Dam as well...

Entering from the canyon side (under the bridge)...
Screen_151202_012916_zpspksp8871.jpg~ori

into the pullout...
Screen_151202_013029_zps23wuhomm.jpg%7Eo

And clear of the dam while going vertical.
Screen_151202_013207_zps5tpb1yuw.jpg%7Eo
Screen_151202_013236_zpsh8eemnj9.jpg%7Eo

Great! 2.0 is out then? That'll make everybody happy. ^_^

..and what happens if you take out the dam? I dare say the dam breaking effects have moved on considerably since TAW...

2.0 is in open alpha for people who purchased the Nevada terrain, and it currently only works with Nevada (the Caucasus is being converted to the "T4" level of terrain that is required for the 2.0 engine).  So it's out, but doesn't yet integrate the theaters.

And unfortunately, TAW still beats DCS in dam destruction, both in Caucasus and Nevada.  Neither dam is destructible in DCS.  :(

It's great to know details like the Sphinx are fully integrated into the theater. That's good work done there.

As for the dam destruction – less interactivity but better graphics has been a trend since the early 2000's. I still hope it'll turn around in the next years so everything becomes destructible :) 

It's just a little strange the bridge doesn't cast any shadows. The palm trees and the Sphinx do. Considering the reflections and all the graphical goodies, that's really strange.

4 hours ago, Krycztij said:

It's great to know details like the Sphinx are fully integrated into the theater. That's good work done there.

As for the dam destruction – less interactivity but better graphics has been a trend since the early 2000's. I still hope it'll turn around in the next years so everything becomes destructible :) 

It's just a little strange the bridge doesn't cast any shadows. The palm trees and the Sphinx do. Considering the reflections and all the graphical goodies, that's really strange.

I agree.  The fully destructible environment in (for example) games that use the Dice's Frostbite engine are much easier when you have a smaller scale and limited effects (e.g. 1 rocket at a time, or 1 tank round), but things get more complicated when you have bombs and air-to-ground missiles with variable fuses, warheads, shaped charges, cluster bombs, and even a variety of cannon rounds (e.g. AP and HE mixed together).  ED tends to go with the "if we can't do it right, we won't do it at all" philosophy, which I don't completely agree with.  If something can't be modeled with particle physics due to its complexity, I would rather see it approximated with tables and linear interpolation than not modeled at all.  Then the particle physics modeling could be implemented when processor cores or available data catches up.

TAW is a great case in point: we know it's probably going to take a lot more than a couple of Mk84 bombs to take out a dam.  If I wanted to take out a dam in real life, I would treat it like a bunker and use a long fused penetrator warhead.  But without bunker busters in TAW, they still let the dam go with a few direct hits for the sake of fun.

Regarding shadows, that could just as easily be my system settings.  I'm running a nVidia 660, so I had to turn some things down (including terrain flat shadows) to get decent frame rates in high density areas (like the Strip).  You should see some of the screenshots taken by people with 980 cards; absolutely jaw-dropping.