Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan Rush

Do all Sims have their aircraft carriers pointing north?

3 posts in this topic

Is it just me or since the early days of flight sims involving aircraft carriers (like "Jet" or "F-19 Stealth Fighter") all the sims involving any aircraft carriers always have the ships pointing dead zero on the compass?

That seemed to be the case for F14 Fleet Defender as well....

I guess it makes it easier to line up for landing since you know the base, cross, downwind and final approaches happen on the same headings (Makes it easy for night FCLP as well though I'd enjoy the challenge of setting up on an odd ball heading. Usually for a strait short timed approach (Graph-sim F-18) I'll approach the port side of the carrier at 2,000 feet / 350 knots and break at about .9 KM distance and run the downwind leg back to 2.0 KM from the stern, drop the hook, flaps and gear and break into the final and the line up is pretty good.

Another wish is for a good sim with a rolling/pitching carrier deck. Actually watching pilots land on a ship like the old USS Midway (CV-41) which rocked violently even in calm seas gives you an appreciation for how difficult carrier landings really are.