COMBATSIM Forum
Donster

Friday

Morning y'all, 52F, overcast skies, and very, very damp, even a touch of fog this morning.  Expecting the fog to clear later this morning, then a cloudy afternoon with a high of 71F.

Morning all,

My Strike Fighter project 1 began to crash constantly after I downloaded a service pack. Now if I try to select "OPTIONS" the game crashes. I tried reloading it and it keeps doing it. Help....whimper.

1 hour ago, Dan Rush said:

Morning all,

My Strike Fighter project 1 began to crash constantly after I downloaded a service pack. Now if I try to select "OPTIONS" the game crashes. I tried reloading it and it keeps doing it. Help....whimper.

This could be an issue with the UAC feature that is a part of Windows Vista, 7, and 10.  Problems arise when files located in the C:/Program Files directory are modified.  Windows UAC, a security system, does not like to see files in this or the Windows directories modified.  Applying patches or other modifications often results in crashes, failure to run, or failure to patch.  Best off installing games and sims to a different directory.  Otherwise, you can turn off UAC, but that can leave your computer more vulnerable to malware.

Piggybacking onto what Stans said, also make sure that SFP1 is not nested in your Program Files folder.  This will really goon things up.

Have you tried the SF2 series?  It was designed for Vista and later, and any mods are put into your Saved Games folder (leaving the original folders untouched).  Only downside is no multiplayer.