DrKevDog

008E-Mask-Blend

9 posts in this topic

Cont'd from the TAW Moving Map Format topic:

I composed a series of grid templates to work with 3View. They color code overlays for texel density. It's interesting to note how D.I.D. used such things as texture rotations as a way to increase the perception of increased terrain features:

scrf-rf-grd-tm.jpg

There are many tiles, in high user presence areas, which have heterogeneous texel density as a feature enhancement:

capture_003_28042016_181557.jpg

Note the multilayered content and the multiple texel densities..

If you look in the upper R quadrant there is a texture sample (green grid) with a texel density consistent with a texture resolution of 1152 x 1152 pixels.

Yep. This kind of tricks works only with painter's algorithm, and I expect terrible things to happen when some day I move my renderer to Z buffered operation :)

It appears that flat tiles @ desert level (Y=80 units) have no need for an algorithm, makes me wonder if that is why most airbases were placed at that level to offset the evil depth buffer problems?

Tiles below and above 80 units are treated special anyway. IIRC, the higher and lower tiles contain an unknown instruction which aborts drawing if an unknown flag is set. I need to look through my snapshots to find the exact context, though.

I suspect you are referring to either 0076, 007b or 0093? if that is true, it is curious as to why they are also contained in the flat tiles at Y=80 units.

FYI:

Y-80-Flat-NoBSP tiles.jpg

Interesting … I don't find the snapshots any more, though I was sure I had made them. It must have been on August 23, 2011 (you miss those gold digger days, too?).

Anyways, I fired up TFXplorer, changed some of the flags, … it's 0093. It does not exclude all tiles above or below 80 units, but there's an 80 % chance, I'd say:

2016-05-23 disabled 0093.png

(disabled the jump after 0093)

This may as well be a coincidence (like, in the first tile they made, they used 0093 just before a return statement, and then they based all other land tiles on that tile, and when they got to sea and mountains, they started over) … but it made me think back then.

What is your guess on 0093?

That is an amazing image :icon_salute3:

I have been recently using the 0093, 007b and 0076 keys in 3view, hoping for some insight into how to get them decoded... my initial thought was Stencil Buffer...

I do miss those days, however, i never stop discovering new things in tfx. Typical example is the recent analysis of 0093/007b/0076 and I discovered 0078 and 0079. I am especially involved with 0078 as it applies to rendered shadows. it sets the view and world matrix to identity and, with a 5 word formatting, the shadow takes on an additional rendering...amazing :whoa:

PS: on "like, in the first tile they made, they used 0093 just before a return statement, and then they based all other land tiles on that tile, and when they got to sea and mountains, they started over..."  I've had similar thoughts and it reminds me of the poo.txt file, in which they proceed to optimize individual object files for minimal volumes...I sure hope these aren't just redundancies.

My Current Analysis: There are only four recognizable tiles in that image; desrtm_x (randomized), ctroki_1, dstw_1ro and dstw_2ro.

All four of those tiles transition to themselves. If we consider 8-connectivity and the Moore Neighborhood Theory, including adjacency(?), it appears to me that 0093 disabled all the true "transition" tiles... :popcornsmilie:

I unintentionally omitted gen_2rwy and it also transitions to itself...

Obviously, we need better terrain tools. I'll start a new topic as to not hijack this one.