1. Unzip to location of choice
2. Run executable to initialize
3. At Login, create "NEW" Pilot profile
4. Enter to Play
5. Go to: TRAINING > AWACS Missions > Covert Mission @ 10:00
6. Jump into F22 (Wolf 0)
7. Use MFD Moving Map to assist with navigation

Things I've noticed:

A working moving map of 'The Island of Dr KevDog'...and some textures using the hardware.tm folder.

There may be more, but those things are a great achievement. :thumbsup:

I love it :thumbsup:

Interesting thing I noticed circling the big floating blob in the sky that is designated as E-3: the lighting changes with your plane's movements. I'm pretty sure they used a forward transformation on the light source where they should have inverted the matrix.

It's a pity it doesn't work with TFXplorer :( I hope I'll have time to implement hardware.tm support one day …

Edit: At least I got the moving map to work in TFXplorer. It is, as mikew put it, a great achievement! Great work, DKD!

Untitled 2.png

Edit 2: It mostly works if you replace the 2nd line in every INI in the .3 folder with "tm=hardware.tm". I'm sure DKD can explain why this is not necessary for the original game. I just assumed this would specify the texture folder, but don't you native English speakers have a saying? "If you assume, you make an ass out of u and me" :D 

DKD, your island is just beautiful.

Untitled 3.png

Thanks, you two, for taking a look at the changes. Yep, there are a number of new additions: textures, tiles, moving map images, and even a big floating blob in the sky.

I created a sequence of scripts which quickly convert the object UV mappings from 96 x 96 pixels to 192, 256, 512, etc.. I also created a process by which 1024 x 1024, 512 x 512 or 256 x 256 texture images can be quickly converted to nicely usable TAW format textures. Surprisingly, this old legacy game really likes aerial satellite images :D, but I have yet to do a world with them.

The floating blob was a product of the conversation we had, some months ago, regarding vertex normals in TAW shading. It was created to easily display the shading processes, in-game. I call it a "shader-ball". There is 1 unique tri poly on the ball (Black, in close) which I coded to flat shading, the rest are for smooth shading. My addition of the 007A opcode, to that 3d file (707.3), creates a distance determined color change of that single face (Satellite View zoom). Studying the effects of the matrix error on the shading, based on distance, not from the light source but from the viewer, still leaves me scratching my head...:huh:

8 hours ago, DrKevDog said:

The floating blob was a product of the conversation we had, some months ago, regarding vertex normals in TAW shading. It was created to easily display the shading processes, in-game. I call it a "shader-ball". There is 1 unique tri poly on the ball (Black, in close) which I coded to flat shading, the rest are for smooth shading. My addition of the 007A opcode, to that 3d file (707.3), creates a distance determined color change of that single face (Satellite View zoom). Studying the effects of the matrix error on the shading, based on distance, not from the light source but from the viewer, still leaves me scratching my head...:huh:

Clever test case!

It’s pretty easy: Fly directly at the blob from any axis direction and roll left. From your view, the entire world rolls right. The light source should roll right as well so the shadow stays in the same place relative to the world. But what you see from the shading on the blob is, the light source instead rolls left at twice your speed. I had this error a dozen times myself over my lifetime (mind the canopy reflections in TFXplorer) :) 

(But it might as well be a wrong left-handed to right-handed conversion, one should repeat the test from all axes to be sure. I just tested one. And I only tested D3D, like you preconfigured.)

I am so looking forward to a world being mapped with non-repeating high-res satellite images!