O'Donovan

Campaign-based, 24/7, Combined Arms, WWII MMO Sim

8 posts in this topic

Battleground Europe: &nbsp;World War II Online  <---(Link)

It's BA-AAAACK!  Actually, it never left.  But it's being updated and improved.  The game is moving forward again.  New weapons are being put ingame.  Vehicles are being repurposed and new vehicles will start being modeled in a few months.  Old players are returning and loving the progress.  It's coming out on STEAM!

Basically, the game was on life support.  Some of the loyal, long-time players jumped in and took over.  They're the "new" Rats (developers).  They've raised some funds and updated servers, hired a coder, brought some old team members back, cleaned up a few hundred miles of poorly patched "spaghetti code," and have breathed new life into the game.  They're upgrading capacity to release the game through the Steam game service later this year.  And yes, they're updating models and improving the graphics.  There's even talk of porting the game over to the Unreal 4 engine, when that becomes a viable option.

Developer Roadmap - What's Coming In WWIIOL

Yes, the graphics are more than a bit dated.  HOWEVER, that's also a good thing, in a way, as that allows you to run the game without having to spend a fortune on a top of the line gaming computer.  The game STILL has the Guinness World Record for the largest non-instanced game map, with a 1/2 scale map of Europe.  That's right...  Everyone is on the same map at the same time.  You can play ground (infantry/armor), naval, or air.  Start with a FtP (free to play) account, then move up to a Starter (limited tier) subscription for $4.99(US)/mo or Premium (full) subscription for $14.99(US)/mo.  We have "day one" (fifteen and a half years) players still playing the game every day.  It's totally skill based, so a day one player has just as good a chance as anyone else.  There are NO microtransactions and no "improving" units with unrealistic better weapons/armor/engines/et cetera.  What you see is what you get.

Something fun for you to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwOpvdrUInU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szF350y4M-8

Give it a try!  (Go Allied!)  ;)

-Irish

*sound of crickets*

Nothing?

McFly?  :)

How about some old time WWIIOL players sound off?  Better still, anyone currently playing, give a shout out.

-Irish

While I enjoyed following your links to see what the game is about, I don't have the time or interest to invest in something like that.
...and if I did, I'd want to be Hitler. :)

On 2/17/2017 at 4:38 AM, mikew said:

While I enjoyed following your links to see what the game is about, I don't have the time or interest to invest in something like that.
...and if I did, I'd want to be Hitler. :)

You don't have to have any more time for WWIIOL than you would spend on any other game.  Just realize the game is going on without you when you're not there.  And, as far as interest, this IS a "combat sim" site and this is THE combat sim.  Be infantry, airborne, armor, naval, air...it's all there for you.  There's no other game like it.

Remember, Hitler spent his first war as a grunt, in the trenches.  If you do well and learn the game in WWIIOL, you can apply for HC (high command).  Then you can set attack orders, direct troops and supplies, and generally run the map.

-Irish

The latest campaign just started last week.  Now is the time to get into the game with the early war/low tier equipment.  That's perfect for a free to play (FtP) account.  PLUS, you get TWO bonuses.  You always get two weeks of premium level access when you create an account.  In addition, starting May first, all FtP accounts get a free MONTH of premium access.  That means, if you create your account this Sunday, the 16th, you get your two weeks followed by the free month, with no break in your acess.  That's over SIX WEEKS of free premium level game time in one block.  See you ingame!

S! (salute)

-Irish

138.jpg.071d997c196ae9c905f8a14e57a0bd6a.jpg

GO ALLIED!!!!!

-Irish

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

WWIIOL turns sixteen years old today.  It's been sixteen years of serious sim action with no end in sight.  It's only getting better!

-Irish

WWIIOL is now out on the Steam game service!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/251950

Sign up now and get a free MONTH of Premium time rather than only two weeks as previously.  Also, all former Premium accounts are eligible for a discounted renewal rate as long as the account is kept current with no lapse.  They are also able to activate a free month of Premium time as part of the Welcome Back Soldier promotion.

Try it free for a month.  Get on Discord and join with others playing.  Use teamwork and learn the game.

Oh, and...GO ALLIED!  ;)

-Irish