Home Fries

Photobucket just lost my business; any recommendations on other providers?

8 posts in this topic

Many of you know that I have been skinning aircraft for years, and I have always used Photobucket to store the images and then link them to the forums.  I don't make any money off of the skins, and Photobucket even has a widget that automates copying link for embedding.  So imagine my shock when I look at this site and see this in place of my signature:

BVS_drh_zpsm0ew0vkg.png

Apparently as of today (and without any warning), Photobucket now charges $40/month (or a discount rate of $400/yr) for the privilege of third-party hosting, i.e. embedding an image on another website or forum.  That's $400/yr more than I make on my skins, so Photobucket can go to Hell via FedEx AFAIC.

Does anybody have a provider they're happy with and would recommend?

EDIT: Here's an article on the change of terms.

I left photobucket a few years ago, when they started deleting my images.

1. I usually rely on the attachment option of the forum I’m posting in. I can be 99 % sure it will never ever be deleted or replaced with ads. That doesn’t work with CombatSim, however, because it downscales attachments on upload. Should we ask TheDude about it?
  2. I tried Dropbox, but the hotlinking option has some catches – especially for folders with restricted access. There was some issue with you seeing your image fine, but it will be placeholder for other users. I don’t recall exactly, but I moved on.
  3. I tried tinypic. Never created an account, but at least my images are still online (e.g. here). There is no guarantee that they don’t, in a few years, become like photobucket, though.
  4. I remember MGonzales hosting his images on his own server. I guess that’s the only true way to go, but I don’t have one … Nevermind, with current DOS attacks you’d rather host your stuff via CloudFlare or something like that.

I hope I could help.

I've only used Photobucket and ImageShack.  ImageShack went fee for use last year and my "free trial" time ended.  I didn't even know, I have not used that account in years.  Now, Photobucket has gone to a pay-to-use system.  Google hosting requires that anyone who wishes to actually see the posted images to have a Google membership.  I don't think Flickr nor Imgur requires viewers to have a membership and I think they have, for now, free services similar to what Photobucket offered. 

My personal opinion:  The internet that was open and free and we all enjoyed is coming to its end.  Websites owners are looking to make money to support and maybe even profit from their websites.  This has led to nearly all websites selling advertising space.  Often, the ads tend to be annoying, so users employ adblocking software to minimize the intrusion on the web experience.  I am now seeing websites absolutely refuse to allow the viewing of content if the viewer is using adblocking software.  With increasing government regulation and large corporations taking ownership of more websites, the internet will become tightly regulated and if you wish to share your work with others, you will have to pay.  Just wait until YouTube becomes a pay-to-play site.

So far my use of Photobucket is still working fine. But I also don't use third party hosting.

3 hours ago, Stans said:

ImageShack went fee for use last year and my "free trial" time ended.

I guess I used ImageShack in my very first posts here (ca. 2011?) and they deleted my pictures pretty fast … I’d rather not use it again, and if they want a fee now, well who cares!

ImageShack was the first online image hosting site that I used, can't even retrieve the images I stored now.

Well, judging by the success in the test forum, I'm going with Amazon Prime Photos.  I'm already Amazon Prime, so this is no extra burden, and they do allow unlimited storage.

Thanks for all the input.

Dang!  I just discovered that the amazon links are temporary.  I guess I'll use my OneDrive account for hosting.  At least Onedrive also allows tagging, which makes up for not having nestable albums.