Toumal

Stealth: A retro-style F117A simulator

45 posts in this topic

The 'realism' is all in the mind anyway. Some of the most intense gaming experiences I've had have been night missions with F-22 ADF/TAW. The missions themselves and the campaign they are part of may be utterly ridiculous from a real world point of view but I choose not to think about that.

Small update: I've made progress with the RCS calculations, and in the meantime have started upgrading the terrain generation a bit. There's still some work to do for performance optimizations.But I can make this as low or high poly as needed.

VgtBAmL.png

And before anyone asks: No, the F117A in this game will not fly during the day. It's night missions only.

OMG, this is AMAZING!

I sunk an insane amount of time with old Microprose glories! :D

I have a ton of question but don't want to scare you- just one to begin with... do you need help with a Mascot or something? I kind of know a thing or two about that...

Don't really see a need for a mascot at this point yet, sorry!

Today's status update:
x) Implemented stealth meter bar
x) added yellow compromised stealth indicator
x) added FLIR lock indicator
x) added optional minimum turret elevation angle (to prevent missile misfires)

I now have the problem that terrain tiles other than my current one are rendered in a slightly darker tone for a reason I have not been able to find out yet.

EDIT: Fixed my lighting issue! Phew!

15 hours ago, Toumal said:

Don't really see a need for a mascot at this point yet, sorry!

Heh, no worries! :)

Is there anything you could use help with?

In any case... Amazing job- do you have a plan to release it?

More modelers would be nice. The goal is to shoot for a low-poly (but recognizable) look. As for release, haven't decided yet whether or not to make this a commercial one. If it ends up being sold on Steam or something like that, I'll have to compensate any contributors of course. But right now I don't worry about whether or not it's gonna be a paid program. I don't think I'm at a stage where I can charge money for it anyway, and until that changes I don't think about it.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of a different lighting/sky scene: 

hBLZNTS.png

I still have some RCS related calculations to finish, then I'll look at procedural placement of houses, lights and enemies, as well as airplane damage. Right now missile hits just make your F117 explode, I want to make it so there's varying chances of damage to systems and control surfaces. I also need to implement crash/land conditions (right now the ground is rather harmless...) as well as the tactical map MFD page, so you know what you're facing.

Down the road I want there to be general states of alertness modeled for the ground defences, meaning that the first dropped bomb would result in (blind) AAA fire as they try to deter the invisible foe, like they did in Iraq. And *further* down the road I want to add enemy air foes that converge on your position if you manage to get spotted by a radar.

Well, first I want to thank you so much for your patience with me! ^_^

Thank you for the kind answers.

I will ask you only one more thing: Do you envision menu like old Microprose games (graphics depicting hangars, pilots, lockers and such) or you have something else in mind?

Apart from that I'm a noob and a half with Blender.

If you need small stuff, low humble laborers can do, like all those annoying missiles, bullets, houses, trees, camels, and so on... well I'd love to help.

Heh it's okay, though at this point I think some experience is required, sorry!

And a small update: The RCS meter displays how radar-visible your airplane is, and this comes with consequences!

cuYYErN.png

Experimenting with procedural building placement:

rlY7I69.png

Video of the RCS meter in action:

No worries, :)

and again thank you so much for your patience with me and for your amazing efforts on your game! :D

I've gotten the tactical map functional, though of course the symbology is not quite there yet:

4ZISevR.png

On 12/11/2017 at 10:25 PM, Toumal said:

And before anyone asks: No, the F117A in this game will not fly during the day. It's night missions only.

Great!...but how are we going to find the loot boxes in the dark? :)

Unfortunately, I can't help with anything but I'm enjoying watching your progress. :thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, mikew said:

Great!...but how are we going to find the loot boxes in the dark? :)

I have a revolutionary solution for that: For a small fee you make a random lootbox heat up and appear on your FLIR.

Update time!
Proper MFD symbology this time, currently supporting static ground targets, SAM, and ships. I've also implemented a targeting cursor that gives the pilot a way to correlate the FLIR target point on the ground with the data on the HSD. I'll have to add a "NOT SOI" text to the MFD to make clear you're not steering the cursor but the laser, but I don't know if the F117A had that text...

Update for today:

x) Pulse/Doppler radar gameplay implemented
x) Improved FLIR rendering

Watch me sneaking past that pulse radar SAM by flying straight towards it, while flying perpendicular lights me up like a christmas tree.

Another update:

Multiplayer! I was getting to the point where there are so many moving parts that I need to start adding multiplayer, so I don't risk making this too complex in the future. I haven't done much testing yet but so far things seem to be working reasonably well. I'm sure there's plenty of things that are still broken but the basics are there.

Why multiplayer? Well I'd like players to be able to cooperate and, for example, provide scenarios that require one or more players to soften up the air defences so that the others can get through and deliver their payload on the high value targets. A full mission would involve coordinating your takeoff and attack runs, and making sure that all your fellow pilots make it back to base.

I already have a solid solution for NAT traversal and a multiplayer lobby system that I'll bring over from another project, so you don't have to deal with manual port forwarding and such terrible things. I'll have to do a main menu at some point too...

uQE0Ony.png

Wow! This must be the fastest developed game since E.T for the Atari in 1982. :)

Don't praise me yet! Turns out I was simply lucky that stuff like FLIR target designation, SAMs, etc worked - they were in fact not synced properly. Took me a few hours to figure out syncing of the currently designated FLIR target and making SAM launchers work consistently across clients. What's still not done is making RWR/launch warning sounds only play for the airplane that is affected by it, and... uh... I broke the weapon camera mfd in multiplayer. Tactical map works but doesn't display any player objects yet. Oh and the SAM radar logic currently runs on all clients and the server, which is not good because the radar pulses hit you at different times from what the server sees.

So still quite some work to do before I can even think about sending this to a friend to do some online testing.

EDIT: Weapon cam works again now.

Update for today:

x) fixed multiplayer radar processing
x) fixed multiplayer RWR sound handling
x) fixed player aircraft bouncing around on spawn
x) fixed missile launches activating weapon cam MFDs on all clients
x) fixed SAM launcher rotation not being synchronized

Known issues: 
Explosion VFX not synced to clients
Explosion SFX not synced to clients
Terrain collision does not result in damage/destruction yet
Player aircraft is just deleted on destruction, should implement proper death handling (possibly observer mode?)
Tactical map does not display fellow coop players
SAM launchers still rotate their turret towards a target even though they no longer have tracking lock

Still to implement:
AAA (guns, ZSU, with tracer projectiles)
AAA (heavy flak with airburst)
SAM C3 information network (one SAM discovering you should inform nearby air defenses)
AAA barrage (untargeted fire near your approx trajectory if you were detected or destroyed something nearby)
Main menu
NAT Traversal
Server List
Ground features generation
Proper exterior model (with landing gear and movable control surfaces)
Proper cockpit model

Well done. Take the rest of the day off!

Meanwhile, you've inspired me to start up Unity again. My sphere-moving-on-a-plane sim is coming along nicely. :)
I had to read the instructions even to do that though. :(