COMBATSIM Forum
The Dude

[DONE] forum upgrade this Sunday

Hi all,

Thought I'd give y'all a heads up.

I'm going to upgrade the forum software tomorrow.

It's a major update, so things may get weird or even break for a bit.

I'll post here when it's all done.

4 minutes ago, mikew said:

Let me be the first to complain about the new layout. :D

:rofl:

1 hour ago, mikew said:

Let me be the first to complain about the new layout. :D

Come on, the update might finally fix your profile photo ;)

I fear change.  I remember a forum upgrade many years ago that resulted in the loss of information and post counts.  Emoticons went missing, some were never seen again and presumed to have died in the wilderness.  For days we wandered aimlessly in darkness at the CSim office.  Donnie tripped over a trash can, fell, and bashed his head on the corner of a desk.  Mikew could be heard from down the hall, crying out "Where's the music?  Where's the music?".  CobraJ tried to collect papers and anything made of wood in an effort to build a camp fire in the center of the office.  Old Guy was nowhere to be found, I think he may have been off with Anubis, drinking cheap beer.  I sat in a corner, staring into the darkness.  My S&W model 29, loaded with 240 grain jacketed hollow point magnum loads, firmly grasped, awaiting the attack from the likes of Dark Helmet, Fick, Itchie, and any of the other minions of evil.

Yes, this may be the last time we'll have a functional forum, so I'll just paddle off into the sunset to this tune written about the fall of civilisation.
Goodbye all!

Y'all are such a bunch of drama queens. :D

Forum upgraded. 

:dancinguy:

I have no idea yet what has changed, so sound off if you find anything new/different worthy of mentioning.

2 hours ago, Stans said:

I fear change.  I remember a forum upgrade many years ago that resulted in the loss of information and post counts.  Emoticons went missing, some were never seen again and presumed to have died in the wilderness.  For days we wandered aimlessly in darkness at the CSim office.  Donnie tripped over a trash can, fell, and bashed his head on the corner of a desk.  Mikew could be heard from down the hall, crying out "Where's the music?  Where's the music?".  CobraJ tried to collect papers and anything made of wood in an effort to build a camp fire in the center of the office.  Old Guy was nowhere to be found, I think he may have been off with Anubis, drinking cheap beer.  I sat in a corner, staring into the darkness.  My S&W model 29, loaded with 240 grain jacketed hollow point magnum loads, firmly grasped, awaiting the attack from the likes of Dark Helmet, Fick, Itchie, and any of the other minions of evil.

And don't forget that Bilko lost his stick! Rommel and Schultz ended up on the Russian front. And Boats, Mane Raptor and Doc became "MIA's".

Oh, as per usual after a major upgrade, all the post, topic, and search indexes need to update.

This can take a many, many hours. 

This can result in post formatting, emojis, and all sorts of stuff not looking right while the re-indexing completes.

The forum definitely has a new look.  It's much cleaner.  It's much whiter.  So white that I wonder if Progressive Insurance is either a major sponsor or an owner.

Is the new line / new paragraph behavior in the editor still bothering anyone?

That is, do you guys prefer hitting the ENTER key twice or just once for a new paragraph?

Seems this new version of the forum lets me set that behavior.

Right now it's set to create a new paragraph with a single hit of the ENTER key.

If you want to single space your lines ...
like this,
and this ... you have to hold the SHIFT key and hit ENTER so you get this tighter line spacing effect.

If I change the site back to the old way it used to work, you'll have to hit the ENTER key twice to start a new paragraph.

Let me know.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

you'll have to hit the ENTER key twice to start a new paragraph.

That is what I would prefer.

Me too.  It's hard to break habits established on a 1930s Royal typewriter.

OG  :(

Ah!  Ein nize new und klean fvorum!  It ist zo nize und zhe vhite zheme vremindz me of zhe zanitoriumz in Tjermany.

ACH!  Ich vould alzo prevfer to prezz zhe vreturn key tvize fvor zhe double zpaze.

The hit-the-enter-key-twice-to-make-a-new-paragraph feature has been restored :)

Fvorum fuhrer Herr Dude haz perfvormedt in ein kwuik und bold manner.  Zherefvor Ich hav vrekommendedt to zhe Amerikafuhrer zhat ve poztpone einy planz fvor invadink Kanada.  :)

febreze_zpsmrkmhbnm.jpg

It smells so fresh and clean here! Glad you used the double strength Febreze oh great Dude! It might last longer. Now if we could just get rid of Fick, it would reduce your expenses on more Febreze purchases. Though maybe you need that for the tax write off as a business expense.

5 hours ago, Donster said:

febreze_zpsmrkmhbnm.jpg

It smells so fresh and clean here! Glad you used the double strength Febreze oh great Dude! It might last longer. Now if we could just get rid of Fick, it would reduce your expenses on more Febreze purchases. Though maybe you need that for the tax write off as a business expense.

ACH!  Evfen in ein innozent pozt in vhitch Ich giv praizez fvor ein tjob zhat vas done vell Herr Dumzter attakz me.  Zhis schould nicht be tolervatedt.  Herr Dumzter ist ein bully of zhe zyber.

Und iffen it ist ein fvoul odor perhapz vou schould tchek Herr Vhizinpantz.  Ich hav heard zhat he schould probably tchandje hiz name to Herr Poopzinpantz.