COMBATSIM Forum
mikew

SpaceX Falcon Heavy test flight

They don't seem too keen to launch today, but still a couple of hours left in the launch window...

That was an impressive show; thanks! I hope it’ll be uploaded permanently – my son is a huge fan of rockets, and watching a car launch to space PLUS three landings with on-board cameras sure will be a joy for him …

Amazing!

The link above is now showing the replay.

They were a bit cagey about the fate of the centre core, but we'll see.

The stream downloaded fine using youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c …

Yes, we’ll see about the centre core. On one hand, the last frame looked like a perfect apprach, exhaust right in the middle of the boat. On the other hand, I can’t believe they only placed a single camera; they would certainly show another angle if it went fine.

I guess cliffhangers like this are how they make you follow Musk’s twitter account :)

P.S.: It’s a pity they showed just one booster cam all the time. The moderator said it was two views, but I’m 99 % convinced it was just one.

It fired successfully: 

Now that you mention good and bad weeks, here is an excellent summary on Ariane failures: https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bernd-leitenberger.de%2Fariane-fehlstarts.shtml

It focuses on why failures happen with rockets, how often they normally happen, and what is learned.

Edit: Sea landing has gone wrong; the rocket missed the boat. Third burn successful.

Interesting technical insights on Ariane. Normally, the focus is on which european nation was responsible for the failure.

I can't see the Ariane 6 being able to compete in any meaningful way with SpaceX, although I'm sure it'll be built.

A pity about the centre core of the Falcon Heavy. It's obvious from my position as an internet expert that they forgot to factor in the increased weight of the stage due to the reininforcements they needed to do to handle the side boosters. :)

So Elon Musk launches one of his cars into space.  How nice, but in France, in the 1980's...

And recovered by a sub!

:rofl:

Seriously, the Space X program seems to be going quite well.

Bloody exciting stuff, if you ask me!

I just can't believe the power those boosters put out. Makes the old Atlas rockets look puny in comparison. And the landing of the re-useable boosters on the tethered platform was incredible, even though I really thought they were going to topple over.

Oh, to be young and full of piss and vinegar like those guys!! (SIGH!!)

And boosters being able to land on platforms is something NASA never accomplished.  Sadly, the middle booster ran out of fuel and missed its landing pad.

16 hours ago, Stans said:

And boosters being able to land on platforms is something NASA never accomplished.  Sadly, the middle booster ran out of fuel and missed its landing pad.

Not to bad considering Elon Musk was not overly confident 

Marc..

I watched the live stream and was pretty much gobsmacked by the entire event from the takeoff, to the booster landings, to deployment of the space-suited Starman in the Tesla roadster with those live images of Earth in the background. Truly a remarkable time to be alive and be able to witness this event.

Here's the simultaneous booster landing with the sound of the double sonic booms:

Here's the Starman in the car with Earth in the background:

Too bad the core booster ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean, but they learned something for next time, so that's good.

59 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Here's the simultaneous booster landing with the sound of the double sonic booms:

Great capture, thank you!

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

I watched the live stream and was pretty much gobsmacked by the entire event from the takeoff, to the booster landings, to deployment of the space-suited Starman in the Tesla roadster with those live images of Earth in the background. Truly a remarkable time to be alive and be able to witness this event.

Here's the Starman in the car with Earth in the background:

Too bad the core booster ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean, but they learned something for next time, so that's good.

That dual landing video is awesome! Just like from a sci-fi movie or video game.

6 hours ago, Stans said:

Love the reference to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on the Tesla's dash.

I laughed out loud when I saw that. Makes me wonder if there's a towel somewhere in that car, too :)