COMBATSIM Forum
Marc

AVG thinks NVG Tool is a virus

Hey guys, using night vision results into a clean crash with a warning from AVG that thinks it's a virus and wants to quarantine it

How do I deal with this?

Thanks, Marc..

You'll have to add the folder where you have the F-22 installed to the exception list. That should do the trick. 

I uninstalled AVG and AVAST(similar interfaces, same company), so I don't remember, exactly, where to go, but it is in the options menu, and if I recall correctly,you just need to scroll down. 

1. if AVG in its warning has a button to send the file to their labs for further inspection, please click that
  2. make sure the file really is clean by uploading it to https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload (if less than 15 scanners detect the file, it’s clean)
  3. submit a false positive report on https://secure.avg.com/submit-sample
  4. if you do that, they will fix the detection with an upcoming update (normally takes about two weeks)

I recommend not using any anti virus software. It’s mostly guessing what software could be harmful, and that’s not worth the trouble.

False positives for NVG Tool are a known issue because NVG Tool acts like a virus.  It looks for a value in a register, intercepts it, and replaces it with another to allow you to see MFDs with NVGs enabled.  NVG Tool was also built with a game cheat engine, so some antiviruses mark it as suspicious because of the libraries it uses.

What the other guys said about bypassing NVG Tool is correct.  However, if you don't want to deal with it at all you have another option: in the TAW Launcher, go to the Configuration menu, then at the bottom uncheck the box that says "Launch NVG Tool with Menu."  This will prevent NVG Tool from automatically being launched, and therefore should prevent the CTDs you've experienced.

2 hours ago, Home Fries said:

False positives for NVG Tool are a known issue because NVG Tool acts like a virus.  It looks for a value in a register, intercepts it, and replaces it with another to allow you to see MFDs with NVGs enabled.  NVG Tool was also built with a game cheat engine, so some antiviruses mark it as suspicious because of the libraries it uses.

What the other guys said about bypassing NVG Tool is correct.  However, if you don't want to deal with it at all you have another option: in the TAW Launcher, go to the Configuration menu, then at the bottom uncheck the box that says "Launch NVG Tool with Menu."  This will prevent NVG Tool from automatically being launched, and therefore should prevent the CTDs you've experienced.

So NVG Tool is useless?

Thanks, Marc..

It's not useless at all.  It simply acts like a cheat program, except instead of cheating it allows you to see the MFDs using NVGs.  It's this behavior, however legitimate, that trips the antivirus.

The option to disable it is for people who would rather exercise extreme caution and not run anything the antivirus flags.  However, having the antivirus bypass the file in its scans will allow you the functionality as intended.