COMBATSIM Forum
Old Guy

Our Schnauzer, Tehya

I know I've talked about our two Schnauzers, Tehya and Rascal, on the forum.  Probably even posted pics.

Unless a miracle happens, we will have to put Tehya to sleep in a few hours.  She has developed a condition that causes fluid to build up in her chest cavity.  We've had it drained twice, but that only addresses the problem, not the cause, which is probably low protein.  That can't be fixed, especially in a 12-year old Schnauzer. 

I know many of you have pet companions and have suffered through their loss.  So, you know what we're going through right now.

I've attached a pic of Tehya in happier times and one of her best pal, Rascal.  Tehya is the silver and gray princess.

I don't know how Rascal is going to react to the loss of his buddy.  He has never been away from her for even a whole day since we got him, five years ago.

It helps to share, I guess. 

Take care, all.

Jim

P3130002.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

Yeah! We had to go the same route a couple years ago with our 15 year old dog, it was hard at the end seeing her suffer, we didn't replaced her, couldn't

I know how you feel

Marc.. 

Jim,

I went through the same thing many, many years ago.  I know how you feel, I know the emotions, I know the difficulty in making decisions.  You have my deepest sympathies.

Mike

OG,

It sounds terrible to say, but I suffered more through the loss of a pet than I have with close relatives.

Pets are part of the fabric of our lives. Their passing leaves a huge hole in our very existence. Everything in the home, from their favourite spots, to their toys, to their clumps of shed hair that you keep finding months after they are gone, just keep tearing open that wound in your heart.

I hope Tehya rallies back from this, but if he does step on that rainbow bridge, know that he'll be waiting for you on the other side.

So sorry to hear the bad news Jim. Our little furry kids mean so much to us. They are more than family. They don't question. They just give you love, devotion and friendship. We know how difficult it is to make that decision to let them go. You have to be thankful of all the time you have had with them, and that letting them go to prevent their suffering is the right thing to do. Will be thinking of you all.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.  There were no miracles yesterday.  The fluid had filled her chest cavity again.  Eventually it would have smothered her and especially at her age there was nothing to be done about her kidneys or other organs damaged by an attack of pancreatitis about four years ago. 

She passed peacefully and painlessly from this life. 

Rascal is grieving as much as we are.  He senses our sadness and can't find his sister anywhere, so his own little world has been turned upside down.  She was always in charge; now he has to figure out how to be an only dog.  We may get another Schnauzer in a few months, though I'm not sure about that.  The pain of losing one as special as Tehya is awful.  If the little guys didn't bring so much joy into our lives, I wouldn't consider getting another one.  We'll see.

I can't say enough about our vets.  When Dr. Mark examined her on Monday he got down on the floor with her, calming her as he talked to us.  After a long ultra sound session and draining the fluid our bill was $263, which is reasonable.  But the clinic gave us a 50% discount for no other reason than our being regular clients and because the results were "no good news."  Yesterday, Dr. Mark and Dr. Lucy, Tehya and Rascals regular vet, spent at least an hour with us, first doing a quick ultrasound to verify that the fluid was back, then discussing our options -- which were essentially one -- putting her to sleep.  This was done with professional skill and gentleness, both for Tehya and us.  At the end, they charged us nothing.

They charge to care for animals, not to put them down. 

It's gray and snowing here in Columbia Falls.  The day matches my mood.

Thanks again.

Jim

sorry to hear Jim, they do leave a hole in your heart when they go.

Thanks again, guys.

Tehya was a very special little dog.  Like Doug, I can't remember feeling this bad after the death of a close relative, except my brother who died at 37 from cancer.

Of course, none of those folks lived with us every single day for 12 years like she did.  They weren't part of the daily fabric of our lives.  She was.

I'm glad I was able to share my grief with the Csim community, as reduced in numbers as it is.  This place has been a refuge of a kind for a long time for me.  Too bad we don't have something like EAW to draw us back together.

Regardless, thanks for your condolences and thanks for the memories.

Jim

For what it's worth, I just want all you guys to know that this is the only Game-Specific Forum that I frequent, even after joining a couple of others over the years which I've since dropped because of the immature rants from young folks, etc. CSim is unlike many other Forums, as I'm sure you know, and I'm very proud to enjoy you all, even the seldom-appearing ones. You're a special group in my eyes! I do miss people like Gunny, and several others, but we're not all retired and looking for stuff to fill our hours, and these are even more appreciated when they do appear.

OG, words can't describe my feelings for your loss, which I share since I had to put down Mindy, my Border Collie, about six years ago, due to advanced Arthritis and old age, (may I be so lucky when my time comes!). To see her being led down the hall in the Vets Office for the last time was so unspeakably traumatic for me that your Post above had me in tears, which my wife shared. Our consolation was in going out and finding a goofy, loving, crazy Malti-Poo, now called Missy, who filled the big hole after Mindy! Totally different personality, but just as lovable in her own way. And that's the answer, a replacement dog! I will never forget Mindy, but Missy filled the void in my heart and then some! God bless you, OG!

Oh, and Missy says that she's sad as well!

19149145_103749460240779_2892479918366531604_n[1].jpg

Thanks, Whiz.  I went and picked up her ashes today.  It's pretty sad around here right now.

Poor Rascal is trying to comfort us.  He already seems to be adapting to being the only dog.

Jim