COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Donster

This Day in WWII 14 April 1940 - 1945

MartinAircraft-April1943.jpgMartin Aircraft Ad - April 1943

1940: German Minesweeper M6 sinks RN submarine Tarpon.

1941: The first German attacks against Tobruk are repulsed by the Australians.

DianaDors1.jpg *Diana Dors

1941: Germans break through new Greek front line. The Greek Army of Epirus withdraws from Albania.

1942: Laval returns to power in Vichy as the 'Chief of Government with special powers'. Thirty five hostages shot in Paris.

DianaDors2.jpg Diana Dors

1943: Stalin's son Jacob dies at a POW camp. The Russian 14th Army repulses a German attack to the Southeast of Leningrad.

1943: Lieutenant General William J. Slim takes over command in Arakan.

1944: First transports of Jews from Athens to Auschwitz, totaling 5,200 persons.

DianaDors3.jpg Diana Dors

1945: U.S. troops split the Ruhr Pocket in two at Hagen. Glider troops capture the ex-German Chancellor von Papen at a hunting-lodge near Stockhausen along with three generals. The French launch a final assault on the trapped German garrison at Bordeaux. The British Second Army reaches the outskirts of Bremen, while the US Third Army captures Gera and Bayreuth. The Canadian First Army assumes military control of the Netherlands where German forces are now trapped in the Atlantic wall fortifications along the coastline.

1945: The British Eighth Army captures Bastia bridge intact, while Hitler rejects an appeal for a German withdrawal to the Po river.

1945: The Germans announce that Army Group Weichsel under General Henrici, is being heavily engaged by the Russians at Frankfurt an der Oder.

DianaDors4.jpg Diana Dors

1945: Yamethin falls to the British 4th Corps in the 'Race for Rangoon'.

1945: American B-29 bombers damage the Imperial Palace during firebombing raid over Tokyo.

DianaDors5.jpg Diana Dors

*Diana Dors was promoted as "The English Marilyn Monroe". She had the blonde hair and the curves but in fact she began her career long before Marilyn and Diana could act better as well. Diana Dors was born Diana Mary Fluck on October 23, 1931 at the Haven Nursing Home in Swindon, Wiltshire, England. Diana and her mother both nearly died from the traumatic birth. Because of the trauma, her mother lavished on Diana, anything and everything she wanted. Clothes, toys, and dance lessons were the order of the day. Diana's love of films came when her mother took her to the local movies theaters. The actresses on the screen caught Diana's attention and she said, herself, that from the age of three she wanted to be an actress. She was educated in the finest private schools, much to the chagrin of her father. Apparently, he thought private education was a waste of money. Physically, Diana grew up fast. At 12 years old, she looked and acted much older than what she was. Much of this was due to the actresses she studied on the silver screen and Diana wanted to emulate them. Diana wanted nothing more than to go to the United States and Hollywood to have a chance to make her place in film history. After placing well in a local beauty contest, Diana was offered a part in a thespian group. She was thirteen. The following year Diana enrolled in an acting school to hone her acting skills. She was the youngest in her class. Her first fling at the camera was in "The Shop at Sly Corner" in 1947. Diana didn't care that it was a small, uncredited part. She was on film and at the age of 16, that's all that mattered. That was quickly followed by "Dancing with Crime" (1947) which consisted nothing more than a walk-on role. Up until this time, Diana had pretended to be 17 years old. If the producers knew her true age, they, probably wouldn't have let her test for the part. Since she looked and acted older this was no problem. 1948 dawned bright for Diana. She appeared in no less than six films for the silver screen. Some were uncredited and some had some meat to the roles. The best of the lot was the role of Charlotte in the classic, "Oliver Twist". Throughout the fifties she appeared in more films and became more popular in Britain. Diana was a pleasant version of Marilyn Monroe who had taken the US by storm. Now Britain had their own version. She continued to play sexy sirens and filled the British theaters. Diana really came into her own as an actress. She was more than a woman who exuded her sexy side. She was a very fine actress as her films showed. As the sixties turned into the seventies, she began to play more mature roles with an effectiveness that was hard to match. Films such as "Craze" (1973), Three for All (1975), and "The Amorous Milkman" (1975) dotted her resume. After filming "Steaming" in 1982, Diana was diagnosed with cancer. It was too much for her to overcome. The British were saddened when word came of her death on May 4, 1984 in Berkshire, England, UK. She was just 53 years old. "Steaming" was released the following year.

TRIVIA:

Measurements: 36 1/2D-24-35

Nicknames

The Siren of Swindon

Hurricane in Mink

Dorsy

Spouse

Alan Lake (23 November 1968 - 4 May 1984) (her death) 1 child

Richard Dawson (12 April 1959 - 1966) (divorced) 2 children

Dennis Hamilton (3 July 1951 - 31 January 1959) (his death; they had begun divorce proceedings in 1958)

In 1974, she contracted meningitis but miraculously survived. 8 years later she was diagnosed as having cancer from which she died in 1984.

Featured on the cover of The Beatles' album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (1967)

Her third and last husband, Alan Lake, committed suicide five months after her death.

At age twenty she was the youngest registered owner of a Rolls Royce in the country.

In 1981 appears as the "Fairy Godmother" in the Adam Ant music video for "Prince Charming".

DianaDors6.jpg Diana Dors

Personal Quotes

"The only sex symbol Britain has produced since Lady Godiva."

"I said to this priest: 'Am I expected to believe that if I went out and had an affair that God was really going to be upset? Okay, thou shalt not kill... steal... but thou shalt not commit adultery? If no one is any the wiser, what the hell difference does it make?' He was lovely. He told me the Commandments were laid down for a lot of guys living in the desert."

"They asked me to change my name. I suppose they were afraid that if my real name Diana Fluck was in lights and one of the lights blew..."

According to Dors's autobiography, she was once asked and readily agreed to open a fête (festival) in her home town of Swindon, England. Prior to the festivities, Dors lunched with the local vicar, during which she informed him that her real name was Diana Fluck. The vicar became somewhat worried about his planned speech. After lunch, they arrived at the fête at the appointed time. The vicar, totally unnerved about mispronouncing "Fluck", introduced Diana with these immortal words:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you our star guest. We all love her, especially as she is our local girl. I therefore feel it right to introduce her by her real name; Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the very lovely Miss Diana Clunt."

MartinAircraft-April1944.jpg Martin Aircraft Ad - April 1944