COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stans

Monday, Memorial Day 2018

~yawn~  Ummmmm...  morning y'all.  Stayed up late watching the Coca-Cola 600.  It was a calm race, no big crashes, for a change, several cars into the wall due to a flat tire.  Kyle Busch won and with that win, he has now won at least one race at every NASCAR cup series track.  Well, enough of that, I know not everyone is a NASCAR fan.  Let's see, it's 70F under fair skies, but clouds are forecast to thicken and we should expect showers this afternoon.  Today's high is forecast to be 83F.

Today is Memorial Day.  My flag is displayed at half-staff until noon, to honor those who served and made the ultimate sacrifice.  At noon, the flag shall be raised to full-staff.

Morning all. 67F under clear skies. Set a record high temp yesterday of 98F, beating the record for the day of 94 that was held since 1914. Another record breaker in store today. Mostly sunny and hot. High of 97F.

Memorial-Day-2018_zpskbxy8mwh.jpg

Enjoy your Memorial Day. Never forget that they fought for us to retain our freedom. And most importantly, never forget their supreme sacrifice. salute2.gif

On 5/28/2018 at 1:16 PM, Stans said:

Stayed up late watching the Coca-Cola 600.  It was a calm race, no big crashes, for a change, several cars into the wall due to a flat tire.  Kyle Busch won and with that win, he has now won at least one race at every NASCAR cup series track.  Well, enough of that, I know not everyone is a NASCAR fan.

I don't get to see much NASCAR these days, so don't know who the 'good' and 'bad' guys are. It was easier when Jeff Gordon was involved. :)

The last race I watched was divided up into three halves for some contrived reason which annoyed me somewhat. We all know these sports franchises are carefully managed, but I think they go too far in trying to even things out.

There's a good article here:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/05/nascars-high-tech-world-leave-any-preconceptions-behind-for-this-deep-dive/

...from a technical angle showing just how homogeneous the cars are now.

Formula 1 is just the same as demonstrated by the snoozefest of last Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix.

With the death of Dale Earnhardt, Sr., the good guys vs bad guys thing in NASCAR died.  I like the safety devices introduced into NASCAR since the death of Dale, but some of the rules and aero-packages have been insane.  At the root of the issue are the fans and Brian France.  Bill France, Sr. started NASCAR and he put on great races.  His son, Bill France, Jr., was almost as good.  Bill Jr's son, Brian, has led NASCAR down the road of wings on the trunk lids instead of spoilers and a whole lot of rules changes and format changes designed to make NASCAR a sport for the under 30 crowd.  Unfortunately, the under 30 crowd has other things to do and generally lack the money to spend on race tickets.  

I admit, adding stage racing with points awarded to the top 10 drivers at the end of a stage has generated more excitement.  There are sometimes some pretty good battles to win or at least get into the top 10 as a stage nears its completion.  But the goal of stage racing was actually to create guaranteed time outs for tv advertisers and a time when fans can go to the head or get another beer and not miss anything.  

The laser measuring of the cars... seems to take an inordinate amount of time and some drivers have said that when their car fails inspection, they just run it through again and it passes even though nothing was changed.  Some of the technical rules just seem silly and it really looks like Brian France is turning NASCAR into IROC.  IROC failed because it was boring.  NASCAR is failing too and the scuttlebutt is that Brian France is looking for someone with lots of cash to buy the remaining family owned shares of NASCAR.

Yep, sounds like how F1 has developed. In the last decade or so, the emphasis has been to get money to the owners from countries like Russia and Azerbaijan who pay a lot to host races, while cutting costs for development of the cars.

While the current generation of 1.6L V6 turbo hybrids are capable of 1000Hp and are technological marvels, we don't get to see teams pushing the limits as only a few engines can be used per season.

Back to NASCAR, do the laps between stages count as part of the race total?

These periods are painful for us as we don't get to see the ads and have to listen to european commentators to try to fill in... :angry:

1 hour ago, mikew said:

Back to NASCAR, do the laps between stages count as part of the race total?

Yes, they do.  They are counted as race laps, just under the yellow flag.