COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JP-4

Patching Strike Fighters

My wife got me a copy of Project 1 Strike Fighers for Christmas and I'm finally getting around to patching it. The only problem is that I can't use any of the patches. As far as I can tell I have the basic US version. However when I try to install the first patch I get:

The file C:\PROGRA~1\STRATE~1\STRIKE~1\System\MessageSystem.dll is not a valid previous version and could not be upgraded.

I got this on sp1 sp2 sp3 sp3.1 and sp3.2. Other than not understanding why it won't patch I also can't tell what version is installed on my computer. I don't see a version number on the Main Menu, in the Credits, Options nothing.

I tried searching the forums for this message but didn't find anything relevant. Ideas?

You might have the WalMart version, which cannot be patched. If you have Strike Fighters Gold, you need the patches specifically for the Gold version. Gold version and regular Strike Fighters patches are not the same and do not have cross-compatibility. Go here to see a comparison of the various releases of SF:P1 and WoV.

http://www.column5.us/sfchart.htm

You might have the WalMart version, which cannot be patched. If you have Strike Fighters Gold, you need the patches specifically for the Gold version. Gold version and regular Strike Fighters patches are not the same and do not have cross-compatibility. Go here to see a comparison of the various releases of SF:P1 and WoV

Man this is kinda confusing....i was gonna see if circuit city still had em for 6 bucks, but ihave no idea what version htey have. Is vietnam an adon or is it a stand alone? Id like to try it out, as I had teh EA figthers anthology set of sims wiht a HUGE amount of flyable jets, but that was about a decade ago. I was kinda wondering if anything came close. I also note that most of the sites i can find on this sim havent been updated in what seems like 2 yrs, but i thought there were some projects being worked on , like an indo pakistani theatre etc. would be worht it just to fly such projects, but I wonder if they are organized very well.

I bought SF:P1 about a month ago at Circuit City and it was the last released U.S. version, which I think was basically up through patch 3. Wings Over Vietnam is not an add-on, but is a stand alone sim, built on SF:P1, but more refined.

I bought SF:P1 about a month ago at Circuit City and it was the last released U.S. version, which I think was basically up through patch 3. Wings Over Vietnam is not an add-on, but is a stand alone sim, built on SF:P1, but more refined.

yes, ive become more familiar wiht it....the sims can be mixed, but not combined. you can take carriers and stuff from wov and put them in sf.....and the adons.....i cant believe the number and quality of the adons.

alot of the same guys on the forums that were doing the janes sims 10 yrs ago.

neat cmpns like iran iraq war, mideast, some cold war what ifs, and korea. really great stuff, and stll being moded and supported after all these yrs. cool....now if i just had time to fly it more.

Yeah, lots of stuff available for WoV and SF:P1, that's what you get when you have a sim that is basically open source. Odds are that these sims will still be around and development will continue after the IL2 series has passed from the scene. Just look at European Air War and they only have a few bits and pieces of the source code with which to work.

Here's a few screens of the quality you can expect...a bit dated, but more than competitive i think wiht more modern stuff, and a community on a couple of forums like simhq and thirdwire can help you wiht problems and questions, as wellas all the magnificent adons, including cmpns and vehicles, ships etc (wanna fly the falklands in a seaharrier wiht vectored thrust?). You wont beleive the carriers etc, and if you liked the f-8s in the janes sims (i loved those sims), you got all nearly all the F-8 and F-4 variants, like this F4E which is stock.

img00023.jpg

this is an adon user made A-1E, wiht adon ordinance like vulcan pods.....theres hundreds of stuff like

this. Wanna fly a scimitar from the HMS Albion, you can do it. they release adon weapons updates

that simplify installation and comonality, and theyre not as intimidating to install as they seem

at first. like i said, the 2 sims arent combinable, but they are mixable....all can go into each other. And

you wont beleive all the skins availible.

0001jpg.jpg

this is a stock Mig-21F, and it has many other variants, stock and user made, endless skins and

weapons, improved flight models. The pilots heads move around alot to...neat stuff. I highly recomend

this sim. Theres talk of eventual support for CCIP and radar aided gunsights and more modern

avionics, but its just talk for now. The originator is still involved though. If you liked the janes sims,

I think youll love this one, if you have time to learn it a bit. Plenty of online help.

img00022.jpg

Im curious as to when you served and where you flew from. A friend of mine flew 180 misns in

three tours in F-104Cs, F-105D, and F-4Ds. Was a wing commander when he retired. Im trying

to get access to his photo collection to scan. Lots of hairy stories. The only modern fighter i ever

got to sit in was an alabama air nat guard RF-4C back in the 70s when i was in high school,

before i got diabetes and was intending to be an officer/pilot. Was one of the highlights of my

existance back then, and i wish i had been more into cameras. we dont get many vets around

here. the strike fighters community loves any input from actual pilots. One guy who owned a

mig-17 was on the simhq forum, as he flew it in airshows. We thirst for such info saheeb :blink: .

Don't get many vets around where?

Here, or your area? Either way, I be one here. :D

14 fun-filled years, USAF, 30% disabled. I love to move mud in most sims, and in this one, the F-111F is my ride

of choice. Very stable launch platform. Especially when it is adorned in the skin of my last Active Duty squadron,

the 431st TES, now defunct.

F-111_Korat-Welcome.jpg

There was a time I entered the jets as a banner suggestion here;

VarkBanner1.jpg

And of course, the sig...