COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Claude350

Janes F15 Missions

Claude,

Send me a jillion dollars and I'll drive down to my rented storage locker and dig up the old backup tapes from the old COMBATSIM web servers. ;)

Just kidding about the jillion dollars.

I wasn't kidding about the storage locker. If I had the files in question hosted on COMBATSIM.COM (many were hosted on separate fan sites), I have them backed up on old tape drive tapes I keep in storage. The only problem is, I don't have any of those old tape drives to play them back and unarchive the files.

So, I have 'em, but they are sort of inaccessible.

Isn't there an F-15 fansite out there somewhere still operating? I would think there'd have to be...then again...the bulk of the Jane's F-15 guys are devoted Falcon 4.0 pilots these days.

You have Falcon 4.0? If not, you'd like it far more than F-15, and the Falcon 4.0 crowd is still very active.

I tried firing up JF-15 a few months back, just for the flashback.

Wish I hadn't, as it cheapened my memories of it. That and the video kept going pastel on me. :blink:

Did the same flashback thing with F-15 Strike Eagle III.

They're right, sometimes you can't (or shouldn't) go back home :(

Red Baron111,

Shaking an enemy fighter off your six is difficult in any sim. The solution to your problem requires plenty of flight time and, most important, experience.

You also have to learn to use your wingmen properly. Depending on the odds (how many in your flight and how many enemies) you need to try to "drag" those enemies on your six into your wingmens' line of fire. If you are fighting one-on-one with an enemy, you have to manage your energy. Energy compises height and speed; the more you have relative to your enemy, the better. Height and speed are always your friends in a dogfight, so don't sacrifice either unless you absolutely have to.

I could go on and on, but a forum reply isn't the place to do that. Suffice it to say, it is a complex issue and there are entire books written on this subject.

Another suggestion that might help you is try to get some online multiplayer flying time under your belt. You could join a squadron and go fight some other online players. You'll make plenty of mistakes, but you won't find a better environment to learn how to dogfight and shake those enemies on your six.

:)

paddles,

this are the following games wich i'm managing to shake off enemy aircrafts prety easily [within seconds]:

"mig alley" demo, "janes F15", "warbirds", "janes ww2 fighters", "janes I.A.F" [not allways], "su 27 flanker

[1996]. ther is one game wich it's extremly hard to shake off enemy aircraft and it calld "il 2 sturmovik" [

in the mission builder]. i am paying attention to speed o.c. i have never played on-line in my life.

Red Baron, here's a suggestion;

Use IL2 to practice, it's got the toughest AI. Set up a Quick Mission with you and an AI plane. Start off with the AI skill at "Rookie".

Once you get good at shaking him off, up the skill a notch. Repeat as needed :D

Now after a point, when you feel comforable, add a second plane to the AI.

Make sure you fly under "full real" conditions. This will help you learn the plane and how to best use it.

There is an excellent turtorial by Dan "Crash" Crenshaw called "How to Live and Die in the Virtual Sky"

A PDF of it can be found here: How to Live and Die in the Virtual Sky

And when you're ready, come join us on-line flyers sometime.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

mane raptor,

can you able to shake enemy aircraft from your six in "il 2 sturmovik" at it's highest rank of difficulty in the mission builder? if you do, can you tell me about the mnvur you are using?

Depends on the plane, the bandit's plane, the weather, the height of the dogfight...a whole bunch of factors.

Learn to do aerobatics: tight turns, rolls, etc. Always try to keep your eye on him. Se what he is doing and try to turn the tables on him. If he attacks you, turn into him.

Do a Google search and look up Dicta Boelcke. Oswald Boelcke came up with the fundamental tactics of air combat back in Worl War I. They are still revelant today.

You have GOT to know your plane; it's strengths and weakness. And his plane too.

Give you an example: Say your in an F4U and the other guy has a Zero. That is not a plane to try, with the Corsair, to turn and burn with. You make a pass and get out of Dodge. Fly away, then come back. Keep your speed and energy up. It's called Boom and Zoom.

If he gets on your six, go full throttle, build up speed by diving if possible and out run him. The Corsair is faster than the Zero, so you use that advantage.

Now if I was in an F6, things are different. An F6 will out turn a Zero, so there a Turn and Burn fight is proper.

How you do it depends on a lot of things. The planes involved are a big part, along with pilot skill. That is why I say practice, practice, and more practice.

mane raptor,

did you ever tried the "mig alley" [demo]? how much time is it takes you shake off from your six an enemy

aircraft in it? and what is the highest number of enemy aircrafts you have shut down in it?

I could never get Mig Alley to run, it kept crashing to desktop so I uninstalled it and threw it away.

Red Baron,

I am a WWII prop sim fan. I fly, currently, IL2 PF merged with FB and AEP. I have used EAW and Jane's WWII fighters.

Mig Alley and Janes 15 are older games that have, in large part, been passed by the newer games. Some of them cannot be run properly on XP (or at least not without great difficulity).

so...can you shake off enemy plain off your 6 and bring him in front of you while his back is in your 12 in "il2 sturmovik" [mission builder], mane raptor? my guess: you can't. please inform me if i'm wrong.

thanks!

Easiest way is to make him overshoot you. Drop flaps, cut back on throttle, drop gear if need be. Dangerous to pull off. It gives him a free shot, and you loose a LOT of energy, but if you can pull it off, you'll be on his six.

All the mission builder does is to allow you to create missions; co-op, single, dogfight. How you fly in them is the trick.

down flaps, down throttle, down gear if needed. is that what you mean [my english is bad]? you mean loss speed so fast so he will pass away on me? the other way you say is to pull up to 180 degree and it will work?

did i get you right?

Yes you go me right...........yes loose speed (energy) so that he passes you. The bring your flaps back up, your gear up (if needed) and go up throttle and get behind him. Once again, it depends on the plane you are flying at the time; ie will it out accelerate his plane. If it will not, then this will not work.

Circling around will work, but only if your plane will out turn his.

You have to know the strengths and weakness of the other guys plane. You do not fight to his strength, you fight to his weakness. Otherwise break off and come back another day.

How you break another guy off your six depends on so many factors. Every dogfight is different and it's hard to give a pat answer to just a general question. I urge you to read Crash's book, "How to Live and Die in the Virtual Sky" (I posted lank to the PDF yesterday). That will give you some ideas that you can try out on your own.

so... in my english, if i got you right: active flaps, down throttle power, and active gear [if needed]. as you said before? so i will lose speed and he will pass throw. sorry for the retoruc ask: is that what you mean and will it work?

Yes, if the situation is right and if your plane can out accelerate his, yes that will work. But all the conditions have to be right or he will nail you.

BTW where are you from? Your English is not bad, better than Rommel's at times :rofl:

Once again....it depends.

If you're in a dive and his plane is heavier, yes.

If you're in level flight and his plane cannot slow down quickly, yes.

If you're climbing and his plane outclimbs yours, yes.

Dogfighting takes practice and split-second decision making. You have to think of not only what your plane (and his) is doing but where you (and he) are going to be in the next few seconds. You have to be able to spot an opening and take advantige of it.

Please, do yourself a favor and read Crash's book. I think it will answer a lot of your questions.