COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cartoon

Pilot how-to's...

I see I have much control over many things on the planes in PF... probably so in all IL2 and decended games. Fuel mixture, propeller pitch... How much of those features do you actually use? So far, I'm sticking to the stick, rudder, throttle and flaps (as long as I'm up in the air).

So far, I just use the combat flaps position when I'm dogfighting. I should probably use them more, extend them all the way for tight turns. I would lose airspeed of course, but depending on the situation I could trade altitude for speed if the bogeys are below me.

Am I on to something, or is it just silly? Any old hands out there with some advice?

I fly with full realism settings. Torque is nicely modeled in IL2-PF these days, so rudder authority is critical to takeoff and landing. It's unfortunate that Oleg did not give us full control over mixture settings, most planes have 100 and 120% mixture and nothing more. Supposedly the 120% setting will give you additional power for takeoff, but at higher altitudes it just burns more fuel and leaves a nice trail of black smoke for someone to follow. We do have selectable supercharger stages for aircraft that actually had them. As for flaps, good for takeoff and landing, but I rarely use combat flaps. I'm a Corsair jockey and I believe in speed and altitude, so flaps don't help much in combat.

Yea, what Stans said.

I'd add airbrakes (good for slowing down when the landing speed is a bit hot-not all planes have them), arrestor hook (good for staying on the carrier once you touch down), and radiator (cowl) flaps (good for cooling down the engine when you have kept it on WEP way too long).

Throw in Canopy Open/Close and wheel brakes also.

I just left mix and prop-pitch to auto.. I assume that is good enough. And I also configured the game for realism. Why make it easy on myself :) It's just a game anyway, hehe.

So far I'm not very good at it... I think the enemy cheats :)

Believe me..............get rid of the training wheels................go full real. (ie all the controls).

The game will be that much better. Yea, you may not "win" all the time. But when you do, you'll feel a lot more proud of what you have accomplished.

Ah flaps lets see,I will use them in an up and over if I feel the need to get around quicker,I keep my flaps on a slide so I can adjust as I see fit and according to speed.

I will also use flaps in conjuction with throttle and trim in a turn back off the throttle going into a turn and about half way round I bring the throttle back up ,tourqe will bring the nose around quick.It does take some getting used to but it works well when you have some one on your six.Of course I am a corsair jock but it works for me