COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gunny

Patrol Report

Well now! I knew this but the Type VII rocks.

OK, left Wilhelmshaven in my new Type VII B, U-48. Assigned to patrol the northern mouth of the Channel. OK, no problem. Get down to the zone and begin my patrol. I get my first contact report about an hour into the search pattern I set up. I head for it and soon, I get the word we got a merchant spotted. Thus began a chain of kills that saw me run dry of torpedos and had to finish the 24 hour patrol with cannons. Went something like this.

Got my first contact. Submerged and locked him up with the periscope. I run through the calculations for a hot torpedo shot. It's dark and we are danger close boys. Figure out its a Coastal Merchant. OK, not the big prizes I really want, but hey, anything for the war effort. Match bearings, shoot, dead merchant. Surface and continue patrol.

Not more than thirty minutes later, I'm diving again for a small merchant. This goes on for about three hours. Results, well I'm down to three fish forward plus the reserve on the outside of the boat, and I've left a trail of six merchants in my wake.

About this time, the look-out called out a warship. Well, I guess it was pretty obvious there was a wolf in amongst the sheep. I hit the bridge to see what was up. Naw, he's moving away. No prob......uh oh. He's turning on to my bearing. Best duck, this could get ugly. Periscope depth, yep, ugly. When I first spotted him, he was cruising at about 13kts. Now, I figure he doing better than twenty. Let's see, I could hide, probably get away pretty clean. Naw, I'm gonna take at least one shot at him. C-Class, draft is about 3.5, set the eel for 4.5 and wait. Well he's barrelling down my throat now. I'm being a little cocky and left the scope up so he would see me. Oh yeah, he's coming. I see the the deck gun flash, ok, waited long enough. One final check, shoot, DIVE! KNUCKLE STARBOARD! He was about 800 yards out when I shot. Bring the scope down and wait. Stop watch is ticking. Fifteen seconds from the time of launch to impact. Seems like an eternity. 10 seconds, boat is going like hell for depth. Won't that thing run any faster? 5 seconds. I can hear the high speed screws as she continues her run at where I was. I realize I've been holding my breath. Times up. I misse.....BOOM! Periscope depth. Wait.....wait....slowly rising.....there, fire on the water. Nothing else. One C-class DD, gone.

I was in a lane, so I had to go east and reload. Headed back with my three fish I had left. Started tracking what turned out to be a C-3 merchant. Sank her and got two more small merchants with guns. Twenty-four hours on station netted me the C-3, the C-class, and eight other small and coastal merchants. At one point, I was tracking the C-3, I had sound reports on at least four other boats in the area. Lads, I tell yall, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. And not one dud eel. Can my luck hold?

You kall einselbst ein untersea boot kommander? You do nicht eben talk mit ein Tjerman akzent!!!! Perhapz you are nicht ein Tjerman, but ein schpy, ja?

Shultz! Take zhis man to zhe Gheschtapo headkwarterz, zhey vill find out if he iz ein schpy. Zhey haf vhays uf making you talk, ja. :ph43r:

That's alright Herr Gostepinpoo. Uncle Karl will have me out and back aboard my boat fore you can turn around.

Good read Skip.

Just started a career 41 outta Lorient in a IXB...............big boat.............lots of Torps.

Got the area off of Africia to patrol DH86..................nice little trip.

On the way down I bagged a small merchant, good start. Got on station and the crew got tans but no sighting at all...............stayed my 24h and decided to hang NW of Gibraltar as they seem to hug the coast for the run from England to the Med.

Bonanza!! Came home with 56,000t of shipping sunk and 1 torp left. Had to cut the trip due to the fact I had a run in with some HurrII's and one dropped a bomb right on the bow.............put a scare into me as I had major flooding and was down to 46% hull integrity.................shot one of the buggers down though..........decided to stay up and fight as the crash dive time isn't as fast as the VIIC type of boat.

Up graded my engines for the next run......................which the head shed posted as off the same area again..................yippie!!!

Yeah, you get upgrades. Like a new VIIB comes with XXX Type Batteries. With enough reknown, you can upgrade those to the more powerful and longer lasting batteries. Want the newest type engines, yep you can upgrade. Matter of fact, I think Canuck was talking about up-grading the light flak guns up to quad mounts. Four 20mm's in two mounts would be down right devestating.

But yeah, nearly everything is upgradable. You get reknown or fame points for successful cruises. I had to do five cruises in the Type II because I didn't have enough reknown built up to get the Type VII as soon as she became available which is after patrol 3 or 4. Sonar, radar (when if becomes available) deck guns, flak guns, torpedos, batteries, engines, hell, even the conning tower can be upgraded.

Yup, you can upgrade as the war goes on...................early radar I don't bother with, only + - 10 degrees either side.

You can upgrade the engines, batteries, hydrophones, deck AAA, conning towers and U-boats.

You can add Radar, sonar, anti sonar coatings, decoys, snorkel, side emblems.

Various Torps to choose from as the war goes on, can load up at base and take a mix. Those acoustic torps are nice later on for those dd's

They are slower running, and they have a tendency not to go boom, but those electric aren't bad for DDs either. You can take the shot and not alert the tin can to your presence. Which is nice if you are trying to ambush a slow mover near a convoy just to start the party out with a bang.

I started another patrol the other evening. I put two merchants down off the coast of Norway. Did my 24hr box then headed for a more target rich enviroment. Only thing I saw 'fore I had to shut down was a tin-can. I was being an arrogant bastard and decided to challenge him. He was moving away from me at about 14 knots. I look at him for a minute through the UZO topside and in a moment of insanity, decided to man the deck-gun. Dieter must think I'm insane. Anyway, we get the deck gun manned and ready, I get a final range and head down to the gun. I range in and fire then scramble to get us submerged. Before I go through the hatch, I see an explosion out there. First round hit. Not bad. Then come the spot lights and star shells. We get below without them having seen us. He searches around and finally I guess saw my scope. That and any deaf sound guy could have heard my electrics running for turns flank speed. Anyway, he finally gets the bearing and here he comes. Set the eel for 4 meters, match bearing and wait. He's coming in fast. Has to be doing 25 knots. Finally he closes to where I want him. Shoot, dive, knuckle starboard. Must have been moving faster than I thought. Torpedo nails him short of the estimated time. Slow and come to periscope depth. No DD. I'm gonna get nailed by one of these guys one day.

LOL Skip.................luck will run out eventually!!

Here is a tip that I have found....................when you get accoustic torps in later (I always keep 1 loaded in the #4 tube for emergencies) and go head to head with a DD...................Crash dive to Peri depth.......the DD should charge at you..............then go to all slow..................the DD will slow down to 11 - 14 knots to search for you................well within the 20knot capability of the homing torp.

Yeah, I figure it will, but what got me I was actually able to taunt the guy into doing exactly what I wanted him to do. I got his attention, then goaded him into coming right down my throat. It all worked, it was scary.

Early on they will come at you head on...................just beware around late '42 - 43 they will start to zigzag in bound to your location..................makes those head on shots harder and harder.

Yeah, I remember that from one of my earlier careers. They start to wise up and get nasty with you.

Report so far.....i can navigate above and below the water :rofl::rofl: my next step will be setting up a torpedoe shot at something , and having a rap on the flak and deck guns , this sim looks cool , but it could burn up more time than Guild Wars does :whoa::whoa: