COMBATSIM Forum
Whizkid

SimHQ interview with Oleg

"Oleg: In IL-2 series is also possible 1000+ bombers at once. Some users even make such missions where in air is 700+ aircraft and on the ground is 1200+ tanks, cars, 600,000 buildings, etc. And if you'll compare the AI, the work of aircraft engines modeling, and all previously described to the named above sims, you'll may find that it will be too slow running. Main FPS eater in IL-2 series for such a case was AI and modeling of each AI aircraft engine behavior like the player aircraft. Al planes are fair, the same as user, comparing to the simple programs of EAW and Rowan / Shockwave Battle of Britain."

I'm sure he meant to say you can get 10 at once...

Yeah, I read it and kind of felt that he is living in his own little fantasy land. Maybe you can have a 1000 plane raid mission in IL2, but you will need one of the Pentagon's super computers. Best flight models? Nope, real planes don't bounce on their wheels and struts like his nor do they oscillate from rudder input. No, I think Oleg has his head further up his own a$$ than ever before. I was not impressed by what I read. Battle of Britain is going to be IL2 - II. <_<

He has created a monster and the monster is him. I couldn't get past that first question where he says you know me and realism or something like that.

He has created a monster and the monster is him. I couldn't get past that first question where he says you know me and realism or something like that.

Where he said he likes to get things as real and as natural as possible?

I laughed at that.

But his information is based on the finest Soviet documentation, and we all know there was NO disinformation

in that regime, Da, Komrade? :D

I think Spec has nailed it. Oleg does indeed rely upon Soviet documentation as the final, end-all-be-all word when it comes to simulations. I really think that Oleg should become a pilot and learn how real aircraft handle before spewing out about the realism of his flight models.

The guy is such an egomanic!! Simple programs like EAW and Rowans BoB were way more entertaining than his barren and immersionless effort, ok so he has online play nailed down but I'm not interested in only online play. His wee minions are mainly hardware nerds and that is all Oleg is interested in apeasing.

Rant off.

EAW still looks today, unfortunately the newer video cards and drivers don't support it's simple graphics requirements. As I recall, the later version of EAW had this feature called "extra squads" would would allow for something like 100 or so planes in the sky at one time. It was a drain for the computers of the day, but today's computers have the processing power to fully run EAW.

Too bad EAW - II never happened.

There are still a bunch of guys at SimHQ who are working at EAW. They apparently have cracked open some of the source code and made the gunnery and flight models more realistic.

I haven't played EAW in about 8 months now but I do know this. The mid and long distance models of aircraft in EAW are FAR superior to IL-2

Yeah, but the absolute best thing about EAW was the campaign. I played a Battle of Britain campaign all the way through several times and each time it was a little different, depending upon my luck and skill. Yeah, a few times Jerry did march through the streets of London. Sorry about that.

Ogdens has it right. "Barren and immersionless" is, IMHO, an apt description. Eye-candy and FM tweaks to the Nth degree

are total dross. Way back in the day Oleg himself said that 90% of purchasers are off-liners, yet the hue and cry, ad nauseum,

are from the on-liners, so the attention is focused there.

Admittedly, it could be far worse, like an on-line only FPS I got talked into once. That is when I swore off FPS's.

But, with all this attention given to the above, and so little given to the actual gameplay, I have very little hope for this

newest title. But there is a little hope...

Sorry, call me a cynic but Abandon all hope who enters a GOATIFS sim.

Ogdens has it right. "Barren and immersionless" is, IMHO, an apt description. Eye-candy and FM tweaks to the Nth degree

are total dross. Way back in the day Oleg himself said that 90% of purchasers are off-liners, yet the hue and cry, ad nauseum,

are from the on-liners, so the attention is focused there.

Admittedly, it could be far worse, like an on-line only FPS I got talked into once. That is when I swore off FPS's.

But, with all this attention given to the above, and so little given to the actual gameplay, I have very little hope for this

newest title. But there is a little hope...

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/GMX%20BOB/reviews/review2.htm

What a load of neo-Soviet propaganda. More fodder for the Catamite Commies of Fanboy Flight. I'm sure they're soaking their thongs over this glimpse of the Great Man's gimmicks.

I also would say that probably our cockpits many authors of aviation historical books will use now as a reference.
Okay, what does that comment say about Chief Designer's dedication to primary research? Yeah, I can just see Dr. Alfred Price booting up SoW to fact check his next book about the Spitfire Mk. I. Something tells me that Chief Designer doesn't dig very deeply when it comes to sources.

If you remember, IL-2 was released with the advantage of the graphics features that were opened 100% only last year. However at the same time IL-2 was very playable even on middle power PC of 2000-2001.
IIRC, the thing that really slowed down IL-2's graphics was its inexplicable basis in Java. Hey, if Java is good enough to power gopher-bashing games on website banner ads, it's good enough for a high-fidelity flight sim. And IL-2 was not playable on mid-range PCs when it released, not if you wanted graphics as detailed as even EAW.

I will admit this -- down low, IL-2's graphics look better than any other WWII combat flight sim so far. EAW, CFS, they both appear too muddy for me. I simply cannot play either one anymore, not after IL-2.

But that detail came at a terrible cost in FPS. And from the comments in this SimFU puff piece, it doesn't appear that Chief Designer has learned his lesson. Instead of coding smart, he's simply expecting his customers to pony up for a more-powerful computer.

Bad business -- unless, of course, you're marketing to a cult. Which he is. We'll see if that cult will generate enough cash to buy Chief Designer another Benz.

Hmmmmmmmmm...............I wonder why I still stick to WWII online after 3 years and haven't wasted $$ on another flight sim or any other for that matter.

Hey, go a little easier on Oleg.

Sure, no one but him has ever seen an IL2 mission with more than 32 planes in it (let alone 100). Sure, his team faked the screenshots at E3, which he admits in his interview were touched up satellite images. Sure, they are telling everyone the sim will be available in November and game sites are starting to take advance orders from suckers.

What do I really care? I'm not falling for any of the marketing hype and neither is anyone else here by the sound of it. He's just doing what it takes to keep his franchise alive and if he wasn't out there building and improving on the genre, who would be?

Before you cut the tall poppies down, ask yourself who would grow up to replace them?

Want a look at the future of flight sims if Oleg and company fail? Go to subsim.com and weep at the lack of choice and quality of the naval warfare sims being released lately. And tank sims? Far as I know there has been 1 (one) serious sim released in the last five years.

There is no CFS4. There is no Falcon 5. No B17 III. No EAW 2. No LOMAC 2. Succeed in bringing Oleg and team down, and you will have nothing to do but mod and remod and update old flight sim platforms well into the next decade.

Is that what you really want?

Succeed in bringing Oleg and team down, and you will have nothing to do but mod and remod and update old flight sim platforms well into the next decade.

Is that what you really want?

Yes and no. What I want, is a good WWII combat flight sim engine I can mod and mod and mod like Operation Flashpoint or Battlefield 1942. Let the developers create the engine, let the user community create the content. Let us create our own planes using 3dsMax, let us create our own maps and terrain that actually fit the scenarios we envision (a complete Solomons island chain for a Pacific scenario, for example), let us worry about what color the knobs are on the throttle quadrant.

If any developer reads this: Give us a good WWII air combat sim engine and we will buy it. Then when the user community creates the myriad scenarios, aircraft, and maps, new users in numbers heretofore never imagined, will run to buy that sim because there'll be a scenario to suit all WWII air combat simmer's tastes, be they BoB fans, Pacific fans, Desert combat fans, Eastern Front fans, and everything in between.

Why do the WWII flight sim developers insist on giving us their one-off scenarios, I'll never know.

Then when the user community creates the myriad scenarios, aircraft, and maps, new users in numbers heretofore never imagined, will run to buy that sim

Will they really? It's an interesting question you raise. People who are already sim owners download mods, but how many people go out and buy an old sim platform updated with a new mod? I'm not talking about holding a franchise alive with add-ons, but the type of updates to an old patform which you are talking about, no matter how good the platform - well, I just don't think the likes of BOB Wings of Victory, Falcon 4 Allied Force have made anyone rich.

I also think skin, mission, campaign mods and game updates are for the initiated. We also need developers to put together entry level packages that will win new simmers to keep the genre alive - and that's where the developers need to create compelling scenarios that will hook the kid who is graduating from her Nintendo to PSP to PS3 to Battlefield X and finally to a flight sim.

The boards are full of people trashing the CFS franchise but what other recent franchise has made it so easy to get into flight simming? How many hard core IL2FB players are out there who cut their teeth on a CFS or EAW?

And if Oleg can persuade someone to drop their FPS mouse and go out and buy a joystick to relive the drama and terror of the Battle of Britain, then more power to him!

:thumbsup: