COMBATSIM Forum
The Dude

My BoB: WoV impressions on my new uber rig

Stag wrote:

Methinks it is time for me to install BoB II: WoV on my new uber rig.

I'll report back with my findings :)

UPDATE:

Well, it at least runs well on my new rig. It was a total disaster on my old rig.

The weather effects are really nice and the clouds are some of the best I've seen.

I'm still grappling with the views...I don't like the default FOV in the cockpit; there's a zoom-in, but I'd like to make my FOV wider.

The bomber formations still look odd to me...just too static looking and they all turn as one when they do turn.

Tracers from my guns are impossible to see...wonder if there's a mod for that.

Padlock view is interesting in that it switches to an external self-to-enemy view if the padlocked bogie gets outside your cockpit view. I'm not a fan of padlock, so this really doesn't do much for me.

Bullet impacts on enemy planes are modeled nicely, but plane damage graphics are a tad wanting. Sure, you can lose a wing, but it somehow doesn't really grab me. I have yet to see a plane I've shot up burst into flames and trail flames and smoke like you see in IL-2. They do trail smoke, so far all I've seen is white-ish grey smoke, but no flames or really black, billowing smoke. Perhaps I just haven't hit one in the right spot. Explosion effects of planes hitting the ground are very basic, almost EAW style. Am I missing something here? When my plane hits the ground the external cam view is initiated and it spins around the impact point so fast it makes me dizzy.

BoB has got a feature where if a plane passes you very close you hear a very rich-sounding engine growl with full doppler effect, but it really seems like a pasted-on WAV sound. I can never tell, from the sound of the growl, which side of my plane the other plane flew past me.

I was running it with both the 2.02 and 2.03 patches applied and only had one CTD.

It does have a solid campaign, and the strategic elements are very cool, but lack of multiplayer, unfortunately, really makes this a non-starter for me. I will, however, give it some more time. Just thought I'd give a quick list of my initial BoB II revisited thoughts.

I am glad you like it :).

I'm still grappling with the views...I don't like the default FOV in the cockpit; there's a zoom-in, but I'd like to make my FOV wider.

There are a lot of options for the FoV. Go to options / Adv and you should see them.

The one of interest in this case is called "Initial Field of View"

Padlock view is interesting in that it switches to an external self-to-enemy view if the padlocked bogie gets outside your cockpit view. I'm not a fan of padlock, so this really doesn't do much for me.

The "switch to external" is also optional :).

Tracers from my guns are impossible to see...wonder if there's a mod for that.

[...]

They do trail smoke, so far all I've seen is white-ish grey smoke, but no flames or really black, billowing smoke. Perhaps I just haven't hit one in the right spot.

[...]

I was running it with both the 2.02 and 2.03 patches applied and only had one CTD.

All of those things and more should get (even) better in 2.04 :).

No promises, but we might well have an early public beta of it in a week or so.