Jump to content


Charter Member
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


mikew last won the day on June 5 2017

mikew had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

4 Neutral

About mikew

Recent Profile Visitors

2,330 profile views
  1. mikew

    This Day in WWII 15 August 1940 - 1945

    No, they really did fight each other. I've just checked and it's on wikipedia so it must be true... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cottage
  2. mikew

    F22 ADF Extracted-Working

    The name sim14cj indicates a training mission, so I guess the JSOW just wasn't fully implemented at the release of ADF. It's a good idea to look at ADF though, as a lot of stuff like ships, trains and the majority of ground vehicles don't appear in TAW except in the training missions.
  3. mikew

    This Day in WWII 15 August 1940 - 1945

    Since there was a lack of Japanese, didn't they end up fighting each other?
  4. mikew

    TAW 3View — A Renderer for TAW's .3 Files

    ReactOS is incredibly fragile and reminds me of Linux about 15 years ago. The slightest thing can lead to the OS needing to be reinstalled. At least with a VM I can just go back to a good snapshot. I can get a bit further by enabling 3D in VirtualBox, This causes TFXplorer to complain about the lack of the DirectX June 2010 runtime. If I install that, TFXplorer sees some of it but not XAudio 2.7, then it eventually crashes (although I don't think from the lack of XAudio) The ReactOS DXDiag doesn't work for the D3D tests either, and the ReactOS forums lead me to believe that it can't work right now. While Linux is now very stable and seems to have drivers for everything out of the box, it's much bigger these days and has taken a lot of effort to get there. I just can't see ReactOS getting anywhere near that at their current trajectory. It might make a great base for a TFXplorer specific OS though.
  5. mikew

    F22 ADF Extracted-Working

    In this interview which was after ADF was released but before TAW, Simon seems to be hedging a bit about the JSOW (amongst other things) http://www.combatsim.com/printer.php?action=review&id=180&page=1 I'm not sure if it's possible to activate it in any way. I guess it's worth looking for 'JSOW' (or similar) in the exe in the same area as 'MK82F' and 'JDAM' etc
  6. mikew

    F22 ADF Extracted-Working

    In one of the foreign versions of the that mission briefing is this comment in English: "this mission (sim14cJ.txt) is a replacement for sim14c.txt not used at initial game launch see simon" So, for some reason they didn't use this mission, but I guess only Simon knows why....
  7. mikew

    TAW 3View — A Renderer for TAW's .3 Files

    Well, as it's been too hot to do much of anything significant on the PC this summer, I thought I'd give it a go. The main object was to simply run the ADF installer in support of DKD's investigation, but ReactOS can't yet handle 16-bit programs. TFXplorer looks like it might have worked if I could somehow get VirtualBox to present a D3D interface to the VM...
  8. mikew

    F22 ADF Extracted-Working

    Sounds good. It's pure laziness on my part that we don't have a fully extracted ADF. The data format is the same as TAW so we can use the same tools, but we'd need a list of filenames that are unique to ADF to help with the process. Regarding the executables, let me know if you are missing any.
  9. Finally!...or maybe not. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6025457/Australian-discovery-World-War-Two-SOLVE-mystery-missing-pilot-Amelia-Earhart.html
  10. mikew

    F22 ADF Extracted-Working

    Not as far as I know. I did extract the ADF files years ago, but that was before we understood the filename hashing. A lot of the ADF mission files are included in TAW2.30, but I'm not sure if those needed to be extracted. Any particular reason for asking?
  11. mikew

    TAW terrain format

    Hey, all of our old Photobucket links are working again.
  12. mikew

    F-22 ADF Original Patches

    Thanks for the update!..pun intended. I admire your perserverence with this as a few years ago, I had a plan to bring my Orchid Righteous3D card back to life. The only motherboard that I had that had an appropriate slot was a Pentium 4 machine from about 2002. This had a 2+ GHz clock which my Win98 installer complained about, so I ended up throwing all the hardware away.
  13. mikew

    F-22 ADF Original Patches

    The RSO disk contains nine versions of the expansion for combinations of English/German/French then patched/unpatched and D3D/Glide. I don't remmber doing it, but I seem to have backed up some of the old SVBS site...although not the file you linked above. However, I do have the changed files after running the V5.144 patch for the English DirectX version. I've uploaded them here Patches for ADF and TAW usually mean replacing the main executable 'f22.dat'
  14. mikew

    F-22 ADF Original Patches

    I've just searched my disks but don't see that file, but I can only go back to about 2004 right now. I also checked my RSO CD but that wasn't much help either. RSO contains various versions of ADF depending on whether the original game is patched or not, but I don't know of it applies the patch if the original was unpatched. Since you seem to be going for 1997 authenticity, your best bet may be to PM the owner of Combatsim: http://community.combatsim.com/profile/194-the-dude/ ..and complain about the broken link.
  15. mikew

    Spitfire No. 944

    I enjoyed that. Thanks for posting it.