COMBATSIM Forum

Windows Vista and gaming

Apparently it's gonig to be Microsoft's most friendly gaming OS yet... :popcornsmilie:

So discuss here Vista and the gaming side of things, I guess.

Oh btw I'm a Vista Beta tester now :blink: It's downloading as we speak. I'll get you guys some feedback when I get it all setup and stuff.

Kim went to some MS propaganda seminar on Vista this last week. From what she was saying, no way in hell am I ever putting that on my pc.

Looking forward to Geg's preview, just don't violate your ND contract. MS has promised that Vista will more or less seemlessly integrate games into the computer. If that is true, then MS is truely in the right place to develop a superior combat flight sim. No, I'm not too keen on buying another OS, I've finally learned XP, but perhaps sometime next year, if Vista really takes off and does what MS says it will do, and if sims that fully utilize Vista appear, then I may upgrade this machine or build another (hey, this video card is not DX10 capable and the CPU may be a limiting factor as well, newer RAM is far faster than this PC3200 stuff) computer based on Vista's requirements. And perhaps that is the key to having a computer that does not go completely obsolete in a year. I have always built my computers based on hardware, maybe I should look at the most recent OS first and consider it's potential life span. :unsure:

I just read a big review of Windows Vista over at Tom's Hardware Guide. A lot of it sounds impressive, Internet Explorer has been revamped to increase security, monitor for phishing and allow tabbed browsing, most features were pioneered by Netscape and FireFox.

Link to the article, 40 pages!

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/31/windows_vista/

I have been using IE7Beta for a week or so now, and must say that I do like it. More FireFoxish with tabbed browsing. Have not expericanced any problems so far. I have however with the newest FireFox. :(

Jennifer has as well on the other computer (it freezing, causing errors and such) yet I've never had a single problem ever with Firefox. I am running the latest, and IE7. :blink:

I really don't like the windows explorer's new interface. You can even bring up a folder pane on the right.

IE7 is better'n 6, but after a couple of years, you'd hope so. Will stick with Firefox.

And their idea of security by asking before you do anything gets a little tediuos. So far, not that impressed...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
what about getting the janes USAF,WWII FIGHTERS,F15 and novalogic COMMANCHE GOLD being installed in a vista laptop. how to do this, i am stuck. pl help. andy

This is starting to become a real problem for a lot of folks. So far, I haven't seen any explanations on how to make any of those titles run on Vista (mind you, I haven't really looked very far either). If I had a computer with Vista, I'd be trying to find a solution for you, but I'm still firmly rooted in the Staying-With-XP-Until-Hell-Freezes-Over camp.

I assure you, if I do find or hear about a way to run those older titles on Vista, that doesn't include creating a virtual machine from scratch, I'll post it here.